Need Opinions re 2nd Spay

Old February 21st 05, 02:53 PM
KellyH

Default Need Opinions re 2nd Spay

wrote in message
I'm confused, and this has gotten complicated. And I'm very worried
about my cat. Ethel is no longer in heat, it lasted about a week.

It sounds like the rescue is taking her to a spay clinic. All spay clinics
do are spays and neuters, almost in an assembly-line type fashion. This
really would not be the ideal place to take Ethel. I doubt the vet would
have the time to do the type of surgery she needs, it's not a traditional
spay.

Where are you? Is there a veterinary school anywhere close by? If there
is, I would contact one and see if they may be able to help you. This is an
unusual situation and they may be interested in taking on her case. If not,
I would go through the phone book and start calling every vet and pleading
your case.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old February 21st 05, 04:51 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

Could you make some phone calls and find out how much it would cost to
to get her spayed at a reputable vet who *will* do it? I probably can't
pay for the whole thing, but I might be able to help out ...

I honestly believe that a caring vet would let you make monthly payments, if
only to stop your kitty from going through this misery.

On 2005-02-21, penned:
I'm confused, and this has gotten complicated. And I'm very worried about
my cat. Ethel is no longer in heat, it lasted about a week.

I was able to contact the volunteer who transported them AND is the go
between of the Spay clinic.

She says they want to see the cat in heat before another surgery.

I requested the blood work instead, suggested by someone in this newsgroup,
and was told the clinic ONLY did the surgeries and had no resources,
abilities to do the testing.

THE PROBLEMS: (Red flags for me) -Turns out this clinic ONLY does surgeries
on feral animals. -The admin. of this clinic is ticked because kittens
scheduled for adoption were 'done'. -It is only in service for a week end
once every two weeks. (So Ethel could be in/out of heat again before they
have another 'clinic'. -They have a big trailer (RV) they do these
surgeries in, but it's clear across the county, in another city, from me.
Without a volunteer, I can't take Ethel. -Though I've given my name,
number, email, I've not heard from any of these people. (except the ticked
administrator). -The volunteer wants to pick Ethel up and keep her at her
place IN A CAGE, till she goes into heat again along with her 30 or so other
rescue animals. (NO WAY) -The vets name can not be found in my state's
license list!!! (Do unlicensed people do these surgeries on feral
animals???)

CONCLUSIONS: -Ethel needs this surgery. I can not live in a small apartment
with a cat (who may or may not be able to get pregnant) who goes into season
every month. -I do not have funds for a private vet. The one I approached
turned me down cold. Told me it was too difficult a surgery for him! -I do
not want her going back to either this clinic, vet, or volunteer! -I love
my Ethel (and her sister Lucy!), want what's safest and sanest for all of
us.

I NEED -thoughts and ideas from you all -is there any way I could find
(how?) a vet or clinic in my area that would do this either pro bono or let
me make small monthly payments.

STATUS -I'm ignoring the email from the clinic administrate wanting info
till I find out if I have to have her taken back to that clinic. -I've told
the 'volunteer' that when Ethel goes into heat again, she can pick her up,
take her right in for the surgery on the DAY of the clinic, not before. But
that could be 13 days after start of heat! -Am checking out taking cat on
public disabled transit, but it would be a long, two van, trip and I'm
afraid it would be a dangerous ride home, after surgery, for her. (As I
don't see I have any other choice in any of this, yet.)

PLEASE don't 'flame' me about this. I need help...

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

pictures:
http://www.bounceswoosh.org/rpca
Old February 21st 05, 05:58 PM
Phil P.

wrote in message
I'm confused, and this has gotten complicated. And I'm very worried
about my cat. Ethel is no longer in heat, it lasted about a week.

I was able to contact the volunteer who transported them AND is the go
between of the Spay clinic.

She says they want to see the cat in heat before another surgery.

Actually, when she's in heat is probably the best time to attempt a second
surgery because follicles or corpora lutea would probably make ovarian
tissue easier to find.

I requested the blood work instead, suggested by someone in this
newsgroup, and was told the clinic ONLY did the surgeries and had no
resources, abilities to do the testing.

That's absurd. All the vet has to do is collect a vaginal swab and send it
to a lab - estrogen secretion can be detected with vaginal cytology. They
just don't want to take responsibility for their blunder and they're looking
for excuses.

To be honest, its going to be difficult to find a vet willing to clean up
another vet's botched surgery - especially ORS. My advice would be to
contact the closest veterinary university hospital and explain your
situation. Many veterinary universities have community outreach programs.
Since your situation doesn't involve a simple routine neuter and is clearly
a case of extreme hardship, I think there is a reasonable possibility they
might help you. Its worth a try.

Good luck,

Phil

Old February 22nd 05, 12:17 AM
soft

You might also call 1-800-248-SPAY

http://www.spayusa.org/

They give you a vet close by who will do low cost spay/neuter
I have used them 3 times and had no problems.
You go to a real vet's office and have it done. The vet also gives you
his emergancy number and if you need follow up care they do that.

Karryl

http://www.elexorr.com/~soft/index.html
http://www.elexorr.com/~soft/Mat/index.htm
http://www.elexorr.com/~soft/cats/index.htm

"If a man is a fool, you don't train him out of being a fool by sending him to university. You merely turn him into a trained fool, ten times more dangerous."
----Desmond Bagley.
Old February 22nd 05, 12:28 AM
Annie Wxill

wrote in message
.... -Am checking out taking cat on public disabled transit, but it would
be a long, two van, trip and I'm afraid it would be a dangerous ride
home, after surgery, for her.
(As I don't see I have any other choice in any of this, yet.)

If I knew that I'm anywhere near you, I'd pick you and the cat up and take
you myself. If you can give a general idea of where you are, maybe somebody
her would be able to help with the transportation. I'd advise you, though,
to make the details with private email and not through the newsgroup.
How much is the estimate for the surgery?
Maybe others of us could contribute to the cost if you can make arrangements
with a vet to do the surgery when you have enough money deposited up front.
After you've made the arrangements, then let us know how to contact the vet.
Annie