Confusion in an older cat

Old May 8th 08, 12:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jerry Bank

Default Confusion in an older cat

My beloved companion of 16 years (she is 17) has the symptoms of what
would be Altzheimers in a person. She is geneally confused and often is
either agitated or lethargic. Does anyone know if there are any
treatments for this? I very much miss the personality of her as she was
previously.
--
Jerry Bank
Trenton, New Jersey
Old May 8th 08, 04:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

On May 8, 6:40*am, Jerry Bank wrote:
My beloved companion of 16 years (she is 17) has the symptoms of what
would be Altzheimers in a person. *She is geneally confused and often is
either agitated or lethargic. *Does anyone know if there are any
treatments for this? *I very much miss the personality of her as she was
previously.

Hi Jerry,

This condition is called Feline Cognitive Disorder, and unfortunately,
there's not a lot of information about it (I've looked!). My childhood
cat developed this several years ago at around age 18. Talk to your
vet. He/she can prescribe an antidepressant which could help--it did
with my cat, especially with litter box issues. I read one article
that said that deafness can be a side effect of FCD; something to keep
in mind. Also talk to your vet about getting her thyroid checked. It's
possible she is hyperthryoid, which is not uncommon at her age.

Above all, give her lots of love. She deserves it!

Rene
Old May 8th 08, 05:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Jerry Bank" wrote in message
.. .
My beloved companion of 16 years (she is 17) has the symptoms of what
would be Altzheimers in a person. She is geneally confused and often is
either agitated or lethargic. Does anyone know if there are any
treatments for this? I very much miss the personality of her as she was
previously.
--

Awww, poor baby. My elderly cat exhibited a little of this. I like Rhonda's
response. For sure get her checked over. Things happen, like getting hard of

Old May 8th 08, 09:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"cybercat" wrote

I like Rhonda's response.

I meant Rene's.

Old May 9th 08, 02:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Jerry Bank" wrote in message
.. .
My beloved companion of 16 years (she is 17) has the symptoms of what
would be Altzheimers in a person. She is geneally confused and often is
either agitated or lethargic. Does anyone know if there are any
treatments for this? I very much miss the personality of her as she was
previously.

The first order of business is getting her in to the vet for a thorough
geriatric exam including bloodwork (CBC + chemscreen inc. T4) and urinalysis
to rule out any medical causes for the change in her behavior. Problems
creep up quickly and silently in older cats.

If your vet gives her a clean bill of health, ask him about L-deprenyl
(Anipryl). L-deprenyl has been used in geriatric dogs with canine cognitive
dysfunction with a lot of success. There aren't any published studies (at
least I haven't found any) on the efficacy of L-deprenyl in older cats with
cognitive dysfunction , but there have been a lot of anecdotal success
reports from vets around the world. Its also safe to use in cats and has no
adverse side effects-except vomiting and salivation at very high doses. Just
don't use it with an antidepressant.

The things she needs the most right now are your patience, understanding,
and most of all, love.

Best of luck,

Phil

Old May 9th 08, 05:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jerry Bank

In article _5OUj.284$9e.264@trndny04, says...

"Jerry Bank" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

She surely has my love. Reading about cognitive dysfuncton syndrome is
like reading a description of her behaviour. It truly breaks my heart to
see her as she is.

One of the symptoms that seems to have arisen is her urinating not in her
box. Any idea of how I can deal with that?

Old May 9th 08, 05:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda[_3_]

Phil P. wrote:

L-deprenyl has been used in geriatric dogs with canine cognitive
dysfunction with a lot of success. There aren't any published studies (at
least I haven't found any) on the efficacy of L-deprenyl in older cats with
cognitive dysfunction , but there have been a lot of anecdotal success
reports from vets around the world. Its also safe to use in cats and has no
adverse side effects-except vomiting and salivation at very high doses. Just
don't use it with an antidepressant.

The drug L-deprenyl (Aniprylâ , Deprenyl Animal Health, Inc, Overland
Park, KS) is licensed in Canada and the United States for the treatment
of canine pituitary dependent hyperadrenocorticism as well as, in
Canada, for canine cognitive dysfuntion. To date, there have been no
published studies on the efficacy of L-deprenyl in geriatric cats,
although there have been numerous anecdotal success stories. A small
study found no toxicity in cats at up to 10 mg/kg (20 times the typical
clincal dose), with the only side effects being occasional vomition and
salivation (at the highest dose).(Ruehl, Griffin et al)

http://www.vspn.org/VSPNSearch/VINLibrary/lv980613.htm
--------

I decided to look up L-deprenyl and cats for myself, since we have a cat
starting with altzheimer-like symptoms. Interestingly this paragraph
from the first website that popped up with google was almost word for
word as your answer. Honestly Phil, you do give advice that can be
helpful but I wish to gawd you'd quote your sources and not print it
like it came off the top of your head. It's okay if you don't know
everything, none of us do. -Rhonda

Old May 9th 08, 08:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Jerry Bank" wrote in message
.. .
In article _5OUj.284$9e.264@trndny04, says...

"Jerry Bank" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Try moving her litterbox to within sight of where she sleeps (but not too
close to where she sleeps). You could also get a few more litterboxes and
place them near her favorite places.

Any type of behavior modification will probably confuse her and only stress
her out. The only thing I would do is adapt to her condition and try to make
her life as easy as I can for her.

Best of luck,

Phil

Old May 9th 08, 08:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Rhonda" wrote in message

Phil P. wrote:

[...]

Gee, how about that.

Honestly Phil, you do give advice that can be
helpful but I wish to gawd you'd quote your sources and not print it
like it came off the top of your head.

Actually, malicious bimbo, it did come off the top my head. I did a lot of
research for my own cat and happen to remember what I read. As hard it may
be for you to understand, I can't remember where I read everything I read.

It's okay if you don't know everything, none of us do.

I don't know everything- I just know more than you- and that bothers the
hell out you! Your silly post proves it! *lol*

Old May 12th 08, 07:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

She surely has my love. *Reading about cognitive dysfuncton syndrome is
like reading a description of her behaviour. *It truly breaks my heart to
see her as she is.

One of the symptoms that seems to have arisen is her urinating not in her
box. *Any idea of how I can deal with that?

My parent's cat had problems with that too, and the antidepressant
helped a bit. You might try adding additional boxes and/or offering
her a box with lower sides (like a cookie sheet).

Rene