Litter Boxes

Old July 25th 09, 03:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
James Dent

Default Litter Boxes

We have 4 of the rascals and they are big boys (neutered). Regular litter
boxes were too small so we experimented with plastic storage containers.
They are 15"x21"x5" and work pretty well but could be better. My wife has
suggested the plastic under bed storage containers. They are 20"x39"x6". We
have plenty of room as the boxes are in the basement. Anyone have any
thoughts or better solutions?

Old July 25th 09, 05:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

i hav an electric box for the smaller ones, i have 2 other boxes, what i did
was start with regular litter pans, then started buying the next size up and
replacing the smaller one, now i have a regular storage container similar to
a rubbermaid 18 or maybe more gal, lid is off sides are high so no Manly cat
misses... the one in the bathroom is an old rubbermaid size i am not even
sure they make anymore, is width and length of the standard sized rubbermaid
but only about six inches high, if i had it to do over i would buy a storage
container and make a walk in notch... is what i will do when these are to be
replaced... my cats range in size from just under six pounds to almost
twenty, Lee

Old July 26th 09, 01:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_3_]

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 09:47:40 -0500, James Dent wrote:

We have 4 of the rascals and they are big boys (neutered). Regular litter
boxes were too small so we experimented with plastic storage containers.
They are 15"x21"x5" and work pretty well but could be better. My wife has
suggested the plastic under bed storage containers. They are 20"x39"x6".
We have plenty of room as the boxes are in the basement. Anyone have any
thoughts or better solutions?

I use Sterilite 35 quart storage boxes - they are a couple of inches
larger than yours each way, but more importantly, they are eight inches
deep and work well with about thirty pounds of litter. I think six inches
is a bit shallow.

--

T.E.D. )

Old July 26th 09, 01:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
ScratchMonkey

At one point I thought about getting my mom a kiddie pool and filling it
with litter. Now if they just made a huge scoop the size of a pitchfork....
Old July 26th 09, 02:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"ScratchMonkey" wrote in
message .. .
At one point I thought about getting my mom a kiddie pool and
filling it
with litter. Now if they just made a huge scoop the size of a
pitchfork....

To me, that is the limit on the size of a liter box. I have to be
able to empty the darn thing.

Well, that and we need to have more than one.

Now if I could just convince Charlie that they need more than an
inch of liter in the pan.

Jo

Old July 26th 09, 04:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mishi[_2_]

James Dent wrote:
We have 4 of the rascals and they are big boys (neutered). Regular
litter boxes were too small so we experimented with plastic storage
containers. They are 15"x21"x5" and work pretty well but could be
better. My wife has suggested the plastic under bed storage containers.
They are 20"x39"x6". We have plenty of room as the boxes are in the
basement. Anyone have any thoughts or better solutions?

Yes, mortar mixing pans. I just bought 3 for my crew, and paid 5 dollars
each. They are VERY large, and have slightly rounded corners so nothing
gets stuck. DH says he thinks the size is 2' wide by 3' long (or there
abouts.)
Old July 26th 09, 05:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl

"Ted Davis" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 09:47:40 -0500, James Dent wrote:

We have 4 of the rascals and they are big boys (neutered). Regular litter
boxes were too small so we experimented with plastic storage containers.
They are 15"x21"x5" and work pretty well but could be better. My wife has
suggested the plastic under bed storage containers. They are 20"x39"x6".
We have plenty of room as the boxes are in the basement. Anyone have any
thoughts or better solutions?

I use Sterilite 35 quart storage boxes - they are a couple of inches
larger than yours each way, but more importantly, they are eight inches
deep and work well with about thirty pounds of litter. I think six inches
is a bit shallow

I use several regular size and one storage box size. I had to add a regular
size next to the big one when one of my cats stopped pooping in it. I
honestly think it is too high for her to climb in. She'd poop next to it.
She still does even with the second box next to it, but it isn't every day
like it was before. I think she got used to doing it on the floor and now
is getting used to doing it in the box again.

Old July 26th 09, 01:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kajikit[_2_]

wrote:

We have 4 of the rascals and they are big boys (neutered). Regular litter
boxes were too small so we experimented with plastic storage containers.
They are 15"x21"x5" and work pretty well but could be better. My wife has
suggested the plastic under bed storage containers. They are 20"x39"x6". We
have plenty of room as the boxes are in the basement. Anyone have any
thoughts or better solutions?

The girls are pretty big and they tend to 'miss' with a standard
litterbox... we use the biggest size low-sided plastic box we could
find in Target and it works much better. The sides are low enough for
it to be easy for them to get into, and it's big enough for the
longest cat to have plenty of room!
Old July 26th 09, 11:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"Jofirey" wrote in message

"ScratchMonkey" wrote in
message .. .
At one point I thought about getting my mom a kiddie pool and
filling it
with litter. Now if they just made a huge scoop the size of a
pitchfork....

To me, that is the limit on the size of a liter box. I have to be
able to empty the darn thing.

Well, that and we need to have more than one.

Now if I could just convince Charlie that they need more than an
inch of liter in the pan.

I was in the process of cleaning out the litter boxes, and Pickle went in
one that was *empty*, totally devoid of any litter whatsoever.

I just took the box off to the toilet, tipped and flushed.... too easy. Wish
it were that easy all the time.

Then again, I wish Shadow was trained to something other than paper and also
wish that Pickle went in the Out so that the first thing he does when he
comes back in is head for the Box. While I"m spending my cat wishes, I also
wish Suki didn't feel it necessary to do the Highland Fling with the litter.
We have a covered box with a little door included just for her, and yet
litter pebbles still end up throughout the house.

Cats. who's have 'em?

Yowie
--
If you're paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many
pancakes can you fit in a doghouse? None, icecream doesn't have bones.

Old July 26th 09, 11:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

fine tooth plastic garden rake, Lee
"ScratchMonkey" wrote in message
.. .
At one point I thought about getting my mom a kiddie pool and filling it
with litter. Now if they just made a huge scoop the size of a
pitchfork....

Q on litter boxes ensoul Cat health & behaviour 5 December 16th 07 11:31 AM
Whaddaya say -- 20 litter boxes? arhooley Cat health & behaviour 8 October 31st 06 12:12 AM
Is there a better alternative to litter boxes? Monique Y. Mudama Cat health & behaviour 20 February 10th 05 12:19 AM
Litter Boxes JBHajos Cat anecdotes 36 July 13th 04 02:09 PM
Automatic litter boxes Joe Canuck Cat health & behaviour 3 July 5th 03 03:09 AM