Fleagor's home

Old November 18th 07, 07:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn

Default Fleagor's home

wrote:
Fourth attempt at posting - server and/or client issues

news.individual refuses to accept the message: says it's spam posted
to a nonexistent group

I picked Fleagor up from the vet a this morning - we got home at
10:30.
I had them put one of those cone collars on him to keep him from going
out
as much as to keep him from scratching the would. The idea was that a
twelve inch diameter collar won't go through an eight inch square
hole.

It took him a bit over an hour to get through the cat flap. He was
still
on the platform outside the flap, so I ran out and grabbed him. Then
screwed a strip of wood over the hole to narrow it down to five and a
half
inches (the narrowest that Tigger can squeeze through). It's now
after 5
PM and he's still inside - I think he gave up trying to get out.

He's just lying around on the floor, obviously not himself. I did
pick
him up and put him in my lap where he sort of half heartedly kneaded
my
leg for a minute or so. Fleagor is not a happy cat, and he obviously
doesn't feel well. He also *hates* the collar.

I gave him his evening dose of antibiotic a while ago, and he didn't
even
struggle - all the fight's gone out of him. He's had a rough couple
of
days.

If anyone is interested in being grossed out, a picture of his wound
is at
http://67.54.246.139:9000/tdavis/cats/fleagor_wound_071117.jpg.
Nasty.

I also discovered that he can't eat or drink out of the big bowls so I
have to give him food and water in small ones.

Oh, I know it's so hard and sad to deal with when they're sick. And
those E-collars are this side shy of crazy.

He'll be fine, and back to his old self in no time. I'd bet on it.
Purrs that he will.

Ginger-lyn

--
Home Pages:
http://www.moonsummer.com
Old November 18th 07, 09:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

wrote:

If anyone is interested in being grossed out, a picture of his wound
is at
http://67.54.246.139:9000/tdavis/cats/fleagor_wound_071117.jpg.
Nasty.

That is nasty! It looks like a very deep wound.

Joyce
Old November 19th 07, 12:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
sam

wrote:
Continuing purrs for a quick recovery.

Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe
Old November 19th 07, 06:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2007-11-18, penned:

He's just lying around on the floor, obviously not himself. I did
pick him up and put him in my lap where he sort of half heartedly
kneaded my leg for a minute or so. Fleagor is not a happy cat, and
he obviously doesn't feel well. He also *hates* the collar.

I gave him his evening dose of antibiotic a while ago, and he didn't
even struggle - all the fight's gone out of him. He's had a rough
couple of days.

If anyone is interested in being grossed out, a picture of his wound
is at
http://67.54.246.139:9000/tdavis/cats/fleagor_wound_071117.jpg.
Nasty.

I also discovered that he can't eat or drink out of the big bowls so
I have to give him food and water in small ones.

I'm not gonna click on that link --

So, all cats are different, but maybe this is encouraging. The first
time Oscar had to wear an e-collar she *freaked out* -- backed up
until she bumped into walls, wouldn't eat, wouldn't drink, etc.
Miserable. She would also get herself trapped under beds and such a
lot, unable to get the cone to slip under the edge.

In the last year she's unfortunately had to be in them a lot, and
she's gotten to the point where she doesn't love it, definitely lays
around a lot, but she can jump up to the top of her cat tree (not in
one jump), get out from under beds, etc, etc, and she can eat and
drink anything she wants to. The first time she had to use it I
thought my heart would break; now it's just a nuisance.

It may be helpful to know that there are a lot of different designs,
too. The best for Oscar are completely transparent and snap shut
rather than tying on at one end. She has two sizes, because she can
get around the smaller one to lick at her hind paws. The bigger one
looks pretty silly on her, but it works.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

pictures:
http://www.bounceswoosh.org/rpca
Old November 19th 07, 09:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_2_]

On 2007-11-18, penned:

He's just lying around on the floor, obviously not himself. I did pick
him up and put him in my lap where he sort of half heartedly kneaded my
leg for a minute or so. Fleagor is not a happy cat, and he obviously
doesn't feel well. He also *hates* the collar.

I gave him his evening dose of antibiotic a while ago, and he didn't
even struggle - all the fight's gone out of him. He's had a rough
couple of days.

If anyone is interested in being grossed out, a picture of his wound is
at
http://67.54.246.139:9000/tdavis/cats/fleagor_wound_071117.jpg. Nasty.

I also discovered that he can't eat or drink out of the big bowls so I
have to give him food and water in small ones.

I'm not gonna click on that link --

Smart move. It's sickening.

So, all cats are different, but maybe this is encouraging. The first time
Oscar had to wear an e-collar she *freaked out* -- backed up until she
bumped into walls, wouldn't eat, wouldn't drink, etc. Miserable. She
would also get herself trapped under beds and such a lot, unable to get
the cone to slip under the edge.

He still gets caught on things, but Fleagor never backs up for *anything*,
which may go a long way toward explaining how he got bitten in the first
place.

In the last year she's unfortunately had to be in them a lot, and she's
gotten to the point where she doesn't love it, definitely lays around a
lot, but she can jump up to the top of her cat tree (not in one jump),
get out from under beds, etc, etc, and she can eat and drink anything
she wants to. The first time she had to use it I thought my heart would
break; now it's just a nuisance.

Fleagor also mostly just lies around, but last night he managed to jump
into my chair and he has jumped up on a small folding table several times
already. It's handy for him to be on the table since it puts him at a
good height for dosing with antibiotic liquid and for feeding him special
treats in a small bowl.

It may be helpful to know that there are a lot of different

designs,
too. The best for Oscar are completely transparent and snap shut rather
than tying on at one end. She has two sizes, because she can get around
the smaller one to lick at her hind paws. The bigger one looks pretty
silly on her, but it works.

This one is translucient, adjustable, and snaps with substantual,
industrial grade snaps. If he hasn't already managed to get out of it,
open it up, or destroy it, it *has* to be good.

--
T.E.D. )

Old November 21st 07, 03:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

On 2007-11-18, penned:

[...]

Mega healing purrs. It sounds terrible!!

Old November 21st 07, 05:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_2_]

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 21:52:49 -0600, Karen wrote:

Mega healing purrs. It sounds terrible!!

He's doing well: the infection is gone and the would is healing. If it
weren't for the collar, he'd pretty much be back to normal. I think his
last antibiotic dose is tonight, and after that, I'll take the collar off
- it's primarily to keep him where I can get at him to give him his
medicine.

--
T.E.D. )

Old November 21st 07, 07:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Ted Davis wrote:

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 21:52:49 -0600, Karen wrote:

Mega healing purrs. It sounds terrible!!

He's doing well: the infection is gone and the would is healing. If it
weren't for the collar, he'd pretty much be back to normal. I think his
last antibiotic dose is tonight, and after that, I'll take the collar off
- it's primarily to keep him where I can get at him to give him his
medicine.

I'm glad to hear that he's healing up!

Joyce
Old November 22nd 07, 01:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_2_]

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 19:00:18 +0000, jXwXeXrXmXoXnXt wrote:

Ted Davis wrote:

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 21:52:49 -0600, Karen wrote:

Mega healing purrs. It sounds terrible!!

He's doing well: the infection is gone and the would is healing. If it
weren't for the collar, he'd pretty much be back to normal. I think
his last antibiotic dose is tonight, and after that, I'll take the
collar off - it's primarily to keep him where I can get at him to give
him his medicine.

I'm glad to hear that he's healing up!

He was one sick kitty there for a while. I underestimated the remaining
medicine - his last dose is in the morning. The wound seems to be smaller
than it was.

I'm still worried though. It's extra stress on top of the usual holiday
stress and the intense stress of bringing a new home PC on line. I haven't
yet gotten all the XP look and feel replaced with the more comfortable
Classic Windows l&f yet, and I don't have anything installed yet - right
now it's copying files from this failing machine.

--
T.E.D. )

Old November 22nd 07, 10:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

wrote:

[...]

Poor baby!
Lots of healing purrs for Fleagor,