Life Expenctancy of Main Coons

Old February 27th 06, 06:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Life Expenctancy of Main Coons

We found a stray who we believe was at least part Maine Coon. He had all
of the characteristics, tufts in the ears, ruff, tufts on the feet.

He did end up with diabetes, but we had him for 7 years. He might have
been around 11 or so when he died.

They do have a tendency towards diabetes because of their size. I know
another person who got an adult Maine Coon and was happy he was gaining
so much weight. She let him go from 11 pounds to about 17 in 6 months.
He ended up with diabetes a few months later.

If you get him, I'd try not to let him get overweight. Also, don't let
anyone give him anything with steroids in it (which is what triggered
the diabetes in our cat.)

I loved our cat, he was the coolest one we've ever had. I've never seen
such a laid-back cat. He would put an arm around each side of my neck
and give me a hug.

Rhonda

Margarita Salt wrote:

Is what I heard correct? Do main coons just not live very long?

Old February 27th 06, 01:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Rhonda wrote:
We found a stray who we believe was at least part Maine Coon. He had all
of the characteristics, tufts in the ears, ruff, tufts on the feet.

He did end up with diabetes, but we had him for 7 years. He might have
been around 11 or so when he died.

They do have a tendency towards diabetes because of their size. I know

Bull****.

Size is not a predisposition for diabetes, certainly not if large size
is a breed characteristic as it is with Maine Coon's and my own cat a
Ragdoll who as a female tips the scales at 18 pounds.

Old February 27th 06, 02:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Life Expenctancy of Maine Coons

Here is another picture that better shows his face

http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com...america/mc.jpg

Old February 27th 06, 02:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Please get back there and take that cat home!
My MC girl must be 9 or 10 by now and is beautiful and playful and
smart and gentle and the most loving cat I have ever known. I would
never have another breed. I have never heard that they might have a
shorter life span. Whatever time you might have with this cat you will
be thankful for.

Old February 27th 06, 03:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Grawun wrote:
Please get back there and take that cat home!
My MC girl must be 9 or 10 by now and is beautiful and playful and
smart and gentle and the most loving cat I have ever known. I would
never have another breed. I have never heard that they might have a
shorter life span. Whatever time you might have with this cat you will
be thankful for.

Don't encourage the abuser to take another cat home that will be
subsequently subjected to a declaw procedure.
Old February 27th 06, 03:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On 27 Feb 2006 06:58:04 -0800, "Grawun" wrote:

Please get back there and take that cat home!
My MC girl must be 9 or 10 by now and is beautiful and playful and
smart and gentle and the most loving cat I have ever known. I would
never have another breed. I have never heard that they might have a
shorter life span. Whatever time you might have with this cat you will
be thankful for.

Yeah, I agree. This is a good cat for Brandy.

Another thing... if this cat is 6, he must have had a former owner,
maybe some old person who died, or someone who gave him up. He's
probably confused and sad. Someone needs to make things right for
him.

Charlie
Old February 27th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

In article ,
Margarita Salt wrote:
Rhonda wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

[...]

Margarita Salt wrote:

Is what I heard correct? Do maine coons just not live very long?

Everyone here mentions weight topping out around 16 and being fat. If
this guy weighed that much he'd be skinny. I'm telling ya, he was BIG.
Gorgeous face, though, and his card described his coat as blue
mackerel tabby.

Glad to hear he's not in sunset years.

At 6, he's barely an adult.

Bubba would be emaciated at 16 lbs.

Claude
Old February 27th 06, 05:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

You mentioned Royal Canin food for MC. This only comes in the dry
form. I may have misunderstood, but isn't it best to give males wet
food vs. dry? I would like to find something that doesn't put the
weight on him, but I don't want him to have blockage problems. He is
on canned Fancy Feast now and does have loose feces - which isn't good
with the long hair.

Old February 27th 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Joe Canuck wrote:

Rhonda wrote:

We found a stray who we believe was at least part Maine Coon. He had
all of the characteristics, tufts in the ears, ruff, tufts on the feet.

He did end up with diabetes, but we had him for 7 years. He might have
been around 11 or so when he died.

They do have a tendency towards diabetes because of their size. I know

Bull****.

Size is not a predisposition for diabetes, certainly not if large size
is a breed characteristic as it is with Maine Coon's and my own cat a
Ragdoll who as a female tips the scales at 18 pounds.

Okay, how about if I said being overweight? I agree with the other
poster, Maine Coons are hard to keep at a good weight. They tend to get
too big.

Go on to the message board at www.felinediabetes.com and ask there how
many have "big" cats...

Rhonda

Old February 27th 06, 09:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Rhonda wrote:
Joe Canuck wrote:

Rhonda wrote:

We found a stray who we believe was at least part Maine Coon. He had
all of the characteristics, tufts in the ears, ruff, tufts on the feet.

He did end up with diabetes, but we had him for 7 years. He might
have been around 11 or so when he died.

They do have a tendency towards diabetes because of their size. I know

Bull****.

Size is not a predisposition for diabetes, certainly not if large size
is a breed characteristic as it is with Maine Coon's and my own cat a
Ragdoll who as a female tips the scales at 18 pounds.

Okay, how about if I said being overweight? I agree with the other
poster, Maine Coons are hard to keep at a good weight. They tend to get
too big.

Go on to the message board at www.felinediabetes.com and ask there how
many have "big" cats...

Rhonda