Fleagor's home

Old November 18th 07, 12:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Fleagor's home

Fourth attempt at posting - server and/or client issues

news.individual refuses to accept the message: says it's spam posted
to a nonexistent group

I picked Fleagor up from the vet a this morning - we got home at
10:30.
I had them put one of those cone collars on him to keep him from going
out
as much as to keep him from scratching the would. The idea was that a
twelve inch diameter collar won't go through an eight inch square
hole.

It took him a bit over an hour to get through the cat flap. He was
still
on the platform outside the flap, so I ran out and grabbed him. Then
screwed a strip of wood over the hole to narrow it down to five and a
half
inches (the narrowest that Tigger can squeeze through). It's now
after 5
PM and he's still inside - I think he gave up trying to get out.

He's just lying around on the floor, obviously not himself. I did
pick
him up and put him in my lap where he sort of half heartedly kneaded
my
leg for a minute or so. Fleagor is not a happy cat, and he obviously
doesn't feel well. He also *hates* the collar.

I gave him his evening dose of antibiotic a while ago, and he didn't
even
struggle - all the fight's gone out of him. He's had a rough couple
of
days.

If anyone is interested in being grossed out, a picture of his wound
is at
http://67.54.246.139:9000/tdavis/cats/fleagor_wound_071117.jpg.
Nasty.

I also discovered that he can't eat or drink out of the big bowls so I
have to give him food and water in small ones.

Old November 18th 07, 01:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote in message
[...]

Poor guy! I hope he heals quickly. He's dealing with a lot - the wound
itself, the trip to the vet, the collar and not being able to go out.

Purrs for both of you.

Joy

Old November 18th 07, 05:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

jofirey wrote:

Just be glad he didn't decide to come inside before it ruptured. Been
there, cleaned up after that.

Oh, yes. Frank once had an abscess on his flank when we were out on the
island. It ruptured one night when he was on my bed (I hadn't realised
it was there until then). The Smell! Luckily he was sitting on a very
old blanket, and most of the pus ran onto that, so we could just discard
it. Though to my horror, Frank was very meticulous about licking it all
up. I was wondering if it would have some sort of antibiotic effect that
he instinctively knew about. Or maybe he just didn't want to leave an
offensive mess, the little gentleman. Or didn't want the other cats to
know that he wasn't feeling 100% (most likely, I guess).

Old November 18th 07, 07:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

"Marina" wrote in message
jofirey wrote:

Just be glad he didn't decide to come inside before it ruptured. Been
there, cleaned up after that.

Oh, yes. Frank once had an abscess on his flank when we were out on the
island. It ruptured one night when he was on my bed (I hadn't realised it
was there until then). The Smell! Luckily he was sitting on a very old
blanket, and most of the pus ran onto that, so we could just discard it.
Though to my horror, Frank was very meticulous about licking it all up. I
was wondering if it would have some sort of antibiotic effect that he
instinctively knew about. Or maybe he just didn't want to leave an
offensive mess, the little gentleman. Or didn't want the other cats to
know that he wasn't feeling 100% (most likely, I guess).

When Sam had his first and worst abscess, it was from a bit of broken bone
or tooth in his jaw from an accident. He was standing the the dinning room
shaking his head when it blew. I got to disinfect floor, walls, and
furniture. He didn't help at all.

Jo

Old November 18th 07, 02:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_2_]

wrote in message
[...]

Oh poor boy! Sending him fast-healing purrs.

Old November 18th 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Exocat[_2_]

wrote

I gave him his evening dose of antibiotic a while ago, and he didn't
even
struggle - all the fight's gone out of him. He's had a rough couple
of
days.

If anyone is interested in being grossed out, a picture of his wound
is at
http://67.54.246.139:9000/tdavis/cats/fleagor_wound_071117.jpg.
Nasty.

Ouch, poor guy - purrs for his speedy recovery continuing here

Gordon & the FF