Purrs for friend's cat Angus

Old January 2nd 11, 02:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Purrs for friend's cat Angus

My friend has a cat named Angus who is ill with extreme constipation,
amounting to a blockage. He's been to the emergency vet, where they've
attempted to remove the impacted feces manually, with no success. He's
had 8 enemas so far, he's on IV fluids, and he's had x-rays, but they
didn't find anything unusual, just a lot of dense little balls of poop
that aren't going anywhere.

If anyone has suggestions, beyond what's been done so far, I'll pass
it back. I'm sure the vets have thought of everything I can come up
with! I didn't ask about laxatives, but I don't know if they're safe
for cats. I guess at this point, they can't be any worse than the
condition he's already in. Poor guy, he must be absolutely miserable.
Of course, he's not eating, either - I'm sure his body is saying
no more food!".

He's a very nice, mellow cat, and I'm worried about him. Can folks
send some purrs?

Joyce

--
The Internet is on computers now! -- Homer Simpson
Old January 2nd 11, 03:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On Sat, 01 Jan 2011 20:13:34 -0700, MLB wrote:

wrote:
[...]

My first thought was "oil" - perhaps at both ends.
Poor baby. We will purr for big relief for him now! MLB

I once had a car that had trouble with impacted feces because of
hairballs. He came through OK, but had to have regular doses of
hairball remedy afterwards. You can get Laxatone, Femalt and similar
products for cats. He was easy to dose as he would lick the product
from my finger.

Bud
Old January 2nd 11, 04:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf[_2_]

On 02 Jan 2011 02:07:01 GMT, wrote:

[...]

I'm sorry to hear this; the poor guy must be so miserable

Sending purrs for his GI tract to get moving again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

-TC, in loving memory of the unmercifully, relentlessly, sweet calico
kitty, Kenzie.

Every day was a treasure with Kenzie; I tried to treat them that way.
There would only be so many, and now, there will never, ever, be any
more

- Robert Heinlein
Old January 2nd 11, 05:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Julie_Snowshoe[_2_]

Pooping purrs on the way for Angus.
Julie, Lacey, Meeka, Rosco, Barnabus and Spagola
Old January 2nd 11, 05:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

On 02/01/2011 05:13, MLB wrote:

My first thought was "oil" - perhaps at both ends.
Poor baby. We will purr for big relief for him now! MLB

I've had success with oil, too, but I've never had a cat as severely
impacted as poor Angus seems to be.

Each time we'd travelled home from the island, Nikki would have trouble
pooping. I'd give her a little castor oil if I had it. Other oils are
not supposed to help, but they did - rapeseed oil, olive oil, any
food-type oil. Or maybe she just got her system going in the time it
took me to start worrying and administering the oil.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.

Old January 2nd 11, 05:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 1/1/2011 9:07 PM, wrote:
[...]

many purrs. Sounds like megacolon. My first cat had that and I
couldn't find help for him, sad to say. Pumpkin from a can, lots of
water, other sources of fiber are supposed to help. There was a drug,
but they took it off the market in the US. I can't remember the name of
it now. I'm so sorry. I can remember taking him in for enemas all the
time, but I can also remember his groans of pain because he couldn't
take a bm. In the end he had strictures in his rectum from the straining.

Old January 2nd 11, 08:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sharon & Smudgie[_3_]

wrote in message
[...]

Firstly, lots of purrs for Angus. He must be feeling awful poor thing.

I give Smudgie a teaspoon of liquid paraffin in her food once in a while as
she had this last year. Luckily the first enema got things moving a little
and gradually she managed to clear it herself. She doesn't bring up
hairballs but poops them so that doesnt help.

Sorry I cannot offer any advice on how to get things moving inititally
though.

Happy New Year to you
Sharon & Smugie

Old January 2nd 11, 09:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Sjouke Burry wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Stop torturing the poor beast.

What is the point of your post?

--
I will not sniff at my male human's feet after he takes his shoes off,
freeze my mouth open in disgust and then sniff my private parts to compare