OT - For those with SAD

Old December 2nd 10, 03:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

Default OT - For those with SAD

For those of us with Seasonal Affective Disorder, it's really, really hard
to watch everyone else so happy and bright and hopeful and "in the Holiday
spirit". Almost every program I watch on TV, even the news, is extolling
the virtue of giving - but I have nothing to give; I see families gathered
together - but my family is apart; I hear carolers singing - but my voice is
choked with tears; I hear others talking about warm memories - but my
memories find me alone, father dead, mother too devastated to care, brothers
older and off with friends.

On Christmas mornings I awoke to an empty house - my mom was at our next
door neighbor's house, getting some "friendship therapy" and watching their
three children open presents from Santa. My brothers were off with their
friends overnight because they knew what was coming. I would get up and run
to the hideous silver Christmas "tree" to see my one present. The one I
remember most is the "box" record player for my 45s - all 6 of them. But I
also knew that "Santa" was rearing three children and couldn't afford
anything more. So I sat there alone playing and replaying my records,
actually glad it wasn't Christmas carols.

Yeah, I know this is a pattern for me, a burst of manic posting followed by
this maudlin, whining, self-pitying depression. Believe me, it doesn't help
to know it's coming, it hits me fresh as the first time, every time.

I know there are others here who suffer as bad or worse, and for worse
reasons than I. I'm not posting this *just* to whine, but to let other,
"normal" people here know that some of us have a hard time of it this time
of year and lets allow a bit of leniency and try to keep from responding in
instant anger to a post that perhaps was not fully thought out (such as this
one).

And, if you wouldn't mind, if it doesn't invade your privacy, could you
identify yourself if you also suffer from SAD (or even just regular
depression) so we can keep tabs on each other as our own little group inside
our group?

And I promise to try, really try to keep this to this one post on the
subject.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

Old December 2nd 10, 04:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
BfloPolska

On Dec 2, 10:42*am, "CatNipped" wrote:
For those of us with Seasonal Affective Disorder, it's really, really hard
to watch everyone else so happy and bright and hopeful and "in the Holiday
spirit". *Almost every program I watch *on TV, even the news, is extolling
the virtue of giving - but I have nothing to give; I see families gathered
together - but my family is apart; I hear carolers singing - but my voice is
choked with tears; I hear others talking about warm memories - but my
memories find me alone, father dead, mother too devastated to care, brothers
older and off with friends.

Being there, doing that, not liking it.

I will sit with a borrowed family this year, the one into which I
married, listening to certain people keep verbal track of the calories
on my plate, my own words ignored as those of an uneducated bumpkin;
knowing that if Louie leaves this world before I, they will slowly
depart from me, glad to have a reason.

Dear God, I'm morbid. I need some happy. I need to buy cards for kitty
people.

Blessed be,
Baha
Old December 2nd 10, 04:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
~*LiveLoveLaugh*~[_2_]

"CatNipped" wrote in message ...

[...]

--------

Lori, I have SAD. I turn on the SAD light and keep in on in the mornings...
especially if I have to go anywhere b/c it truly gives me some motivation.
There are dark and snowy days where I don't mind the lack of sunshine b/c
for whatever reason, it's sometimes soothing *IF* I don't have to be
anywhere. I have an appt. downtown at 1:00 today, so I've had the SAD light
on since 6:00 this morning. As an FYI, you can now buy the SAD bulbs for
under $10. I'm pretty sure Home Depot has them. I keep the shade off the
lamp I use. I took some pretty scarves that I tied around the lamp post so
it doesn't look so "bald" looking.

P.S. Christmas is my least favorite holiday now that I'm divorced and
having lost Mom almost 4 years ago. I know how you feel, my friend.

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
Laurie
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸ ·.·

*~*LiveLoveLaugh*~*

All that I am or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
~Abraham Lincoln

Old December 2nd 10, 04:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

[...]

See all our masters at: *http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

{{{ Lori }}}.
Would you let me have your e-mail address so I can e-mail you?
Mine is at wwl10 at yahoo dot ca

Winnie
Old December 2nd 10, 06:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the reminder that not everyone finds this a joyful season. My
heartfelt sympathy goes out to those who have such an affliction.

My minister has a special Christmas service on a Sunday evening in December
for people who don't feel like celebrating. She did call the service "Blue
Christmas", but has now called it "Gentle Christmas".

Hugs and purrs to you and anyone else who is depressed because of SAD or for
other reasons.

Joy

Old December 2nd 10, 07:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

I know it's impossible to do, but remember that anyone who can not look past
the biological machine you were given to use in this life and see the
largest, sweetest heart I've ever known, are idiots and as shallow as
saucers.

I get the feeling that you may be like me and have a hard time making RL
friends - not having a normal childhood doesn't give us the social skills
needed. I've at least (after 59 years) come to recognize that weird look
people get on their faces when I've said something inappropriate. I'm sure
people here think I'm a whacko, and what I post is after at least
considering what I'm going to say before typing it. When it's "off the
cuff" conversation words will come out of my mouth like huge ugly frogs that
everyone shies away from.

Old December 2nd 10, 07:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

"~*LiveLoveLaugh*~" wrote in message
"CatNipped" wrote in message ...

[...]

Seriously?! The only "experience" I've had with those lights was from a TV
program "Men in Trees" - and it looked like a big and complicated machine.
I will for sure check it out.

Old December 2nd 10, 07:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

The one I use here is not munged, but sometimes people will have a problem
getting through so you could also use lori(dot)crews(at)comcast(dot)com.

Old December 2nd 10, 07:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

On Dec 2, 8:34*am, "~*LiveLoveLaugh*~" wrote:

P.S. *Christmas is my least favorite holiday now that I'm divorced and
having lost Mom almost 4 years ago. *

Since my parents both died and my brothers moved away I am not a fan
of Xmas really- it's bad at work today because all the decorations
have gone up and the office optimist (Lydia) is going around shouting
about how wonderful that it's only 3 weeks away! I was at the funeral
of Gamma on Tuesday, I;ve had tube strikes and delays and trudged
through snow and also had a nasty run in at work...so I am currently
about as festive as a turkey right now!

The only thing I like about it is that I get 10 days off work and
because it's very quiet between Xmas and the New Year at work when I
get back on the 4th I won't be looking at my desk and wondering why
did I bother having time off as I now have a ton of catching up to
do! But we don't do anything special (apart from I'll go and see one
of my brothers at some point) last Xmas for dinner we had sausages,
might have some friends round Boxing Day and of course there's the big
New Year's Eve party (Well when I say big about 10 of us get together)

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old December 2nd 10, 07:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"CatNipped" wrote in message ...

[...]

I don't have any experience with them personally, but my sister lives in
Alaska, as my mother did for the last 14 years of her life. Many, many
people in Alaska use those lamps and say they help tremendously.

Joy