Stupid Food Question

Old November 26th 10, 10:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Stupid Food Question

Marina wrote:

I didn't have soft drinks very often as a child, because I got diabetes
at age 5 and the only sugar-free soft drink on the Finnish market at
that time was a disgusting pineapple-flavoured drink that I think was
sweetened with fructose. So it definitely wasn't a good drink for a
thirsty diabetic,

I thought fructose was as bad as, if not worse than, table sugar is
for diabetics. There weren't any artificial sweeteners available?
When I was a kid, there was saccharine, at least. Which was pretty
gross, but was at least an option if you couldn't have sugars.

Joyce

--
Cats' hearing apparatus is built to allow the human voice to easily
go in one ear and out the other. -- Stephen Baker
Old November 27th 10, 01:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 22:16:56 +0000, bastXXXette wrote:

Marina wrote:

I didn't have soft drinks very often as a child, because I got
diabetes at age 5 and the only sugar-free soft drink on the Finnish
market at that time was a disgusting pineapple-flavoured drink that I
think was sweetened with fructose. So it definitely wasn't a good
drink for a thirsty diabetic,

I thought fructose was as bad as, if not worse than, table sugar is for
diabetics. There weren't any artificial sweeteners available? When I was
a kid, there was saccharine, at least. Which was pretty gross, but was
at least an option if you couldn't have sugars.

Joyce

Fructose is sometimes suggested as an alternative to table sugar, for
those not wanting to use table sugar, artificial sweeteners, or to do
without a sweet taste. It has a sweeter taste than an equivalent amount
of sucrose, so you can get by with a lesser amount of it. If you use the
same quantity of fructose as you would of sucrose, however, it spikes
your blood sugar just as badly as sucrose will.

--
John F. Eldredge --
"Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly
Old November 27th 10, 02:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

John F. Eldredge wrote:
On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 12:22:33 -0600, CatNipped wrote:

I've never heard of Diet Rite(sp?). Is it something you could get at
WalMart?

The only "Diet Rite" that I am familiar with is a brand of diet cola soft
drink.

That's the only reference that comes to my mind, also. Do they still
make it, or have Pepsi and Coca Cola forced their imitator out of business?
Old November 27th 10, 02:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Art Shapiro wrote:
On 11/25/2010 9:11 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
this is facinating, DH and i have been together the better part of thirty
years, we have bought maybe five of those blue canisters with the girl
on it

In fairness, the stuff is quite useful for sprinkling on snails or slugs
outside. Great visual savoir faire.

Now the question has to be asked: does anyone here salt their cats' food???

Art

Only if it happens at the manufacturer's! Apropos of that. did anyone
ever hear of a cat with high blood pressure? Must be something to the
advice that humans should cut down on salt use.
Old November 27th 10, 04:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Marina wrote:

[...]

I've always been told it has a lower GI than sucrose, so it will not
spike your BG as quicly as ordinary sugar. (OK, they didn't talk about
glycemic index when I was a kid, but of slow, medium, and fast
carbohydrates, but it's the same basic idea.) I do use a teaspoon of it
every day, with my berries and plain yoghurt.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.

Old November 27th 10, 07:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Marina wrote:

[...]

I've looked on several sites that list GI of various foods, and for
ordinary refined sugar, it was pretty low. Not the lowest anything
can be, but much lower than I expected it to be.

Have you ever tried agave syrup? That tastes (and behaves) a bit like
honey, but has a lower GI.

Joyce

--
It is better to give than to lend, and it costs about the same.
-- Unknown
Old November 27th 10, 04:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

i am older than you but have nomemory of that ad, but like your soft drinks,
we watched very little tv at our house, soda consumption was a treat, but of
all i have tried regular rc is the best, Lee
"jmcquown" wrote in message

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
depends on the walmart, its the deit version of R.C. Cola, well one of
them, there is R. C.* royal Crown Cola* Diet R. C. which has salt, and
caf. then Diet, Rite, which has neither, Lee

Does anyone else remember a commercial for Royal Crown cola, circa 1967?
"Escape! Come on over to Royal Crown Cola! It's the mad, mad, mad, mad
cola! Escape! The one with the mad mad taste!"

I know I didn't make it up. I used to sit on the curb with a friend and
we'd sing the jingle. That just goes to show how far back advertising
affected youngsters. But I don't recall ever drinking RC. Apparently the
ad didn't affect my mother. LOL We never had soft drinks in the house
growing up and I don't drink them now.

Jill

Old November 27th 10, 04:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

he mixes it in a glass of water and snorts it, gross but he has reduced his
sinus infections to almost nil, and he really needed to wokrk on thhis as he
is allergic to several antibiotics so tries to limit those he can take in
case of some serious life threatening issue in the future, Lee
"Winnie" wrote in message
On Nov 26, 2:15 am, "Storrmmee" wrote:
dh does use it now for clearing his sinuses, works very good to avoid
sinus
infections, Lee

Recently my doctor told me to spray saline solution in my noses when
was on a plane. Usually it gets very dry in the plane and I was
recovering
from a sinus congestion and cough.

A friend told me she used a neti pot to flush her nasal cavities with
saline soultion.
So salt does has other uses besides seasoning.

"Winnie" wrote in message

On Nov 25, 12:11 pm, "Storrmmee" wrote:

this is facinating, DH and i have been together the better part of
thirty
years, we have bought maybe five of those blue canisters with the girl
on
it
in that time, one we lost in an apartment flood, and one in the house
fire,
two got thrown out due to getting rock hard, lol,
wrote in message

jmcquown wrote:

Once salted, you can't take it back. I don't usually salt things
while
cooking, beyond the usual 1/4 tsp. [or whatever] the recipe calls
for.
prefer to let people salt for themselves at the table. So... don't
put
salt
on anything but your own food?

Jill --also a salt-a-holic

waving hand Another salt freak here! I also don't cook with salt
because pretty much everyone I know prefers a lot less salt than I
like
to put on my food. If I salted to taste during the cooking process,
I'd be the only one who would want to eat it.

Also, I've heard that when you salt food while it's cooking, it tends
to lose some of the salty flavor - but it doesn't lose the sodium
content.
So then you might want to salt it again at the table, resulting in
more
sodium. If you salt food just as you're about to eat it you don't have
an extra dose of it, at least! (Experienced cooks: any truth to this
theory?)

Joyce

--
There is, incidently, no way of talking about cats that enables one
to come off as a sane person.

I mainly use salt for gargling whenever I have a sore throat, not for
cooking
or seasoning.