Stupid Question

Old January 10th 10, 09:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

Default Stupid Question

Hey guys, I know it's been a while and I'm going to try to post more. I do
lurk and try to keep up with everybody, but it's hard what with everything
that's going on in my life right now.

So... I need to ask you something that might help my clowder. Houston is at
29F at the moment!!! And the humidity is as low as I've ever seen it
here!!!!! Besides the cold weather making my pain worse, it's *causing*
pain to my kitties. Every time I try to pet somebody we both get a little
static electrical shock. It's especially hurtful when you're petting a
little head and the ear tips receive the shock - it will usually make Sammy
get up and run away from me!

Does anyone out there know any tricks or hints that could help me out. I've
heard someone say they wipe their cats down with dryer softener sheets, but
I'm afraid of what chemicals that might leave behind on fur that's going to
get licked.

Thanks!

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
See our clowder at http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Old January 10th 10, 09:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Do you have a humidifier? If so, that's the first thing I would try.

MaryL

Old January 10th 10, 09:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobble[_7_]

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote in
:

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

And before you touch the cat, try to touch a light switch or something
metallic to get rid of the electricity in your body.
Bobble
Old January 10th 10, 09:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

CatNipped wrote:
[...]

You need an humidifier. If you cannot afford one, leave pans of water
around . Leave water kin the bathtub, etc. Hang some wet towels around
m-- anything to add moisture to the air. Best wishes. MLB
Old January 10th 10, 09:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
AZ Nomad[_2_]

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 15:27:40 -0600, CatNipped wrote:
[...]

There's only a static discharge the first time you touch kitty. Don't
let it be the head and then there's no problem.

Old January 10th 10, 10:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

AZ Nomad wrote:

Does anyone out there know any tricks or hints that could help me out. I've
heard someone say they wipe their cats down with dryer softener sheets, but
I'm afraid of what chemicals that might leave behind on fur that's going to
get licked.

There's only a static discharge the first time you touch kitty. Don't
let it be the head and then there's no problem.

Or touch something *else* first, that would create a spark. Then you
won't have any static electricity built up when you touch the kitty.

I used to have a cat who would get very offended by static electricity
sparks and not let me touch her for days!

Joyce

--
Whenever you feel anger, you should say, "May I be free of this
anger!" This rarely works, but talking to yourself in public will
Old January 10th 10, 10:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

On Jan 10, 2:53*pm, AZ Nomad wrote:
[...]

Even keeping a hand on cat's head, and just petting with the other
hand, there are 'shocks' with every. single. stroke. Not sure how
dry the Houston area has gotten, but it's very common here in Western
Colorado (our cats actually like it) for there to be little shocks.
Old January 10th 10, 11:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sjouke Burry[_2_]

CatNipped wrote:
[...]

In the old days we would put a kettle with water on the stove.
Think of a modern equivalent solution
Old January 11th 10, 01:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Sjouke Burry"
CatNipped wrote:
[...]

You've gotten some really good ideas there, CatNipped.
Nice to see you post and hope you're okay.
And, it's not a stupid question at all.

Kyla