Blood around the house - which cat?

Old August 3rd 09, 01:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

Default Blood around the house - which cat?

There are quite a few areas of the house with dried blood drops
around. A friend feeding the cats on the last day before I got home
noticed them in one area. At least that means it didn't come from Espy
since he was staying at the vet. But it looks like either Marlo or
Nipsy (or the cat sitter!) was bleeding somewhat. There is only one
big drop, around the size of a dime, but quite a few pea sized drops.

Marlo did have what appeared to be a small scab on one ear so I'm
guessing that was it, but none of them have ever fought enough to
bleed. I'm also surprised that a scratch on an ear could bleed that
much and in several places (upstairs and down). Does it make sense
that the tip of an ear can bleed that much?

I haven't found any evidence on the cats of bleeding other than that
small scab, and even that is gone now.
Old August 3rd 09, 05:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MLB[_2_]

dgk wrote:
There are quite a few areas of the house with dried blood drops
around. A friend feeding the cats on the last day before I got home
noticed them in one area. At least that means it didn't come from Espy
since he was staying at the vet. But it looks like either Marlo or
Nipsy (or the cat sitter!) was bleeding somewhat. There is only one
big drop, around the size of a dime, but quite a few pea sized drops.

Marlo did have what appeared to be a small scab on one ear so I'm
guessing that was it, but none of them have ever fought enough to
bleed. I'm also surprised that a scratch on an ear could bleed that
much and in several places (upstairs and down). Does it make sense
that the tip of an ear can bleed that much?

I haven't found any evidence on the cats of bleeding other than that
small scab, and even that is gone now.

Did you check their claws? Perhaps one of them got pulled off.
Whatever it is, we send purrs that all is well now. MLB
Old August 3rd 09, 06:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lesley[_3_]

On 3 Aug, 05:35, dgk wrote:
Does it make sense
that the tip of an ear can bleed that much?

Yep, cats have blood vessels in the ear and they're not deep so they
can be opened easily. One big drop followed by several smaller drops
sounds like the cat's blood clotting mechanism is working just fine

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old August 5th 09, 01:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 10:33:37 -0600, MLB wrote:

dgk wrote:
[...]

Yep, that's the first thing I looked for. All look normal. It was a
bit like playing detective. I think I'll need to have the blood type
established - does that work for cats?

Not to well apparently:

http://diaglab.vet.cornell.edu/clinp...gs/typefel.htm

Seems that most cats in the US are type A.
Old August 6th 09, 08:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"dgk" wrote

Yep, that's the first thing I looked for. All look normal. It was a
bit like playing detective. I think I'll need to have the blood type
established - does that work for cats?

Not to well apparently:

http://diaglab.vet.cornell.edu/clinp...gs/typefel.htm

Seems that most cats in the US are type A.

I think if it is something serious it will recurr. You're a great dad,
though.

Getting a blood sample whoisit Cat health & behaviour 1 December 8th 07 03:29 PM
Has any one had a cat with blood in the stool? yogipet-online Cat health & behaviour 12 February 28th 06 04:52 PM
Blood in feces Dick Smyth Cats - misc 6 June 28th 04 07:44 AM
Blood clot... ~*LiveLoveLaugh*~ Cat health & behaviour 28 April 24th 04 08:48 AM
blood near ear Joe Diamond Cat health & behaviour 4 November 3rd 03 07:31 PM