Wet Food

Old July 31st 09, 02:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
JP

Default Wet Food

Our cats seem to like a combination of wet food and dry food. What are
some of the better wet foods widely available that offer good
nutritional value?

Currently they are eating Fancy Feast, which I understand is not the
best wet food by any means.

If anyone knows about this, can you reply?

Thanks...
Old July 31st 09, 04:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S

There are many opinions on the 'best' wet food. I primarily feed
Wellness wet (the grain free varieties), but also like Innova Evo and
Nature's Variety (wet or raw). All are high quality, use human-grade
ingredients, and don't have the 'stinky' cat food smell that cheaper
brands have.
Old July 31st 09, 08:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Rene S" wrote in message
There are many opinions on the 'best' wet food. I primarily feed
Wellness wet (the grain free varieties), but also like Innova Evo and
Nature's Variety (wet or raw). All are high quality, use human-grade
ingredients, and don't have the 'stinky' cat food smell that cheaper
brands have.

Agreed. This is exactly what I would recommend. Most especially, avoid
anything with grains. Cats do not need carbs and should not have them.
There is a much higher incidence of diabetes and other health problems in
cats that are fed a diet of dry food or canned food with grains.

MaryL

Old August 1st 09, 01:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stan Brown

Fri, 31 Jul 2009 14:57:13 -0500 from MaryL -
OUT-THE-LITTER:
"Rene S" wrote in message
[quoted text muted]
Wellness wet (the grain free varieties), but also like Innova Evo and
Nature's Variety (wet or raw). All are high quality, use human-grade
ingredients, and don't have the 'stinky' cat food smell that cheaper
brands have.

Are you kidding? My vet recommended Wellness and EVO, but they both
stink to high heaven. I put up with it for Milo's sake, but sheesh!

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
Old August 2nd 09, 01:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kalmia

On Jul 31, 11:25*amdesi, Rene S wrote:
There are many opinions on the 'best' wet food. I primarily feed
Wellness wet (the grain free varieties), but also like Innova Evo and
Nature's Variety (wet or raw). All are high quality, use human-grade
ingredients, and don't have the 'stinky' cat food smell that cheaper
brands have.

If grains are not desirable, then why does Wellness sell a grain
variety as opposed to their grain free variety?
Old August 2nd 09, 01:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Kalmia exclaimed (8/1/2009 8:09 PM):
On Jul 31, 11:25 amdesi, Rene S wrote:
There are many opinions on the 'best' wet food. I primarily feed
Wellness wet (the grain free varieties), but also like Innova Evo and
Nature's Variety (wet or raw). All are high quality, use human-grade
ingredients, and don't have the 'stinky' cat food smell that cheaper
brands have.

If grains are not desirable, then why does Wellness sell a grain
variety as opposed to their grain free variety?

Because many cats love carbs/grains, even though they don't need them
and they're not good for them. Kinda like how I'm eating this ice cream
bar right now...

It may have to do with the trend that is my current pet peeve (excuse
the pun): Cat foods marketed with names that sound very tasty to
HUMANS, with veggies in the name. Salmon with Wild Rice, or Tuna with
Steamed Broccoli or somesuch. This just ticks me off. Most enlightened
cat owners know cats do not need carrots, peas, or any other vegetable
to stay healthy. They're marketed purely to appeal to the HUMAN's sense
of "yea that looks tasty". I, personally, avoid them like the plague.

Having more-or-less won the battle to get Meep on 100% wet food, we're
not fighting the battle to turn my "obligate carbivore" back into the
"obligate carnivore" she's supposed to be.

jmc
Old August 2nd 09, 01:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Kalmia exclaimed (8/1/2009 8:09 PM):
On Jul 31, 11:25 amdesi, Rene S wrote:
There are many opinions on the 'best' wet food. I primarily feed
Wellness wet (the grain free varieties), but also like Innova Evo and
Nature's Variety (wet or raw). All are high quality, use human-grade
ingredients, and don't have the 'stinky' cat food smell that cheaper
brands have.

If grains are not desirable, then why does Wellness sell a grain
variety as opposed to their grain free variety?

Oh, I forgot the real reason: cheap way to boost the protein content of
the food. Wrong kind of protein though.

jmc
Old August 2nd 09, 07:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"jmc" wrote in message
[...]

Good response. Thanks!

MaryL

Old August 2nd 09, 02:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Granby

When taking a break from the hospital yesterday, I took a stroll around my
sons garden, which by the way is getting ready to be put up for the winter.

Anyway, I looked around and there were two cats following me. They sniffed
the green beans, onions, beets and all the rest. There was an ear of corn
on the ground and they nibbled a bit at that then spit it out. I laughed to
myself and wondered who it was that decided that cats needed veggies. About
this time, a mouse ran out of the grape arbor and off went the cats in a
dead run.

Old August 2nd 09, 09:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stan Brown

Sun, 2 Aug 2009 08:21:06 -0500 from Granby :
I laughed to
myself and wondered who it was that decided that cats needed veggies.

I don't know about "need", but when I was a kid we had a beautiful
orange female who ate table scraps plus whatever she foraged for
herself. (She was an indoor-outdoor cat, and we had a small farm, so
I'm sure mice and other small mammals were the majority of her diet.)

She loved green beans.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...