want to relocate feral cats

Old August 6th 09, 02:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

Default want to relocate feral cats

"calvin" wrote in message
On Aug 6, 2:28 am, "cybercat" wrote:
Sorry the situation is this way in NY. I think the dairy farm idea is a
good
one, they are neutered, they would be great barn cats!

But how do you make them stay there?
Many cats would take off looking for home at once,
no matter that the new environment might be more
to their liking eventually.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My grandfather used to lock them in a large room in the barn for a few days,
just until they got used to being fed regularly. Most of them would then
stick around for that good food (and the good supply of mice in the barn).

MaryL

Old August 6th 09, 05:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MLB[_2_]

calvin wrote:
On Aug 6, 2:28 am, "cybercat" wrote:
Sorry the situation is this way in NY. I think the dairy farm idea is a good
one, they are neutered, they would be great barn cats!

But how do you make them stay there?
Many cats would take off looking for home at once,
no matter that the new environment might be more
to their liking eventually.

My mother used to say that if you rubbed butter on their feet they would
never want to leave. This is probably an "Old Wives Tale" but she did
this to our cats. MLB
Old August 6th 09, 06:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Janet

bob syr wrote:
. If I were in your place I think I
would contact my local rescue/shelter. Not animal control, of course.

I've contacted the ASPCA, Humane Society, and several cat coalition
groups. None of them could help as there are thousands of strays and
ferals in Syracuse and all the shelters are overrun. I'd be willing
to take them anywhere in New York State if only someone would take
them. I've been wondering about dairy farms. Every dairy barn I've
ever seen has cats all over the place. It could be a nice life for
them. - Bob

My suggestions: put up a notice at feed stores, put a note on craigslist

Old August 6th 09, 07:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"bob syr" wrote in message
. If I were in your place I think I
would contact my local rescue/shelter. Not animal control, of course.

I've contacted the ASPCA, Humane Society, and several cat coalition
groups. None of them could help as there are thousands of strays and
ferals in Syracuse and all the shelters are overrun. I'd be willing
to take them anywhere in New York State if only someone would take
them. I've been wondering about dairy farms. Every dairy barn I've
ever seen has cats all over the place. It could be a nice life for
them. - Bob

If you decide to go this route, please check out the owners first. My
grandfather had barn cats, and it really was a great life for them. They
had a safe, secure location, and he gave them good food and attention. Some
farmers are of the opinion that cats will be "better mousers" if they are
not fed. My grandfather was the opposite--he loved all animals and also
said that well fed cats are actually good hunters because it is an instinct
(not just a desire for food). That's the type of farm home that cats need.

MaryL

Old August 6th 09, 07:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"calvin" wrote in message
On Aug 6, 2:28 am, "cybercat" wrote:
Sorry the situation is this way in NY. I think the dairy farm idea is a
good
one, they are neutered, they would be great barn cats!

But how do you make them stay there?
Many cats would take off looking for home at once,
no matter that the new environment might be more
to their liking eventually.

They probably stay for the food and for their littermates, but you are
right, you can't make them. Feral cats have little use for humans, besides
food. At least in the country they should be safer than in the city.

Old August 6th 09, 07:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"MLB" wrote
My mother used to say that if you rubbed butter on their feet they would
never want to leave. This is probably an "Old Wives Tale" but she did
this to our cats. MLB

That is so cool!!

Old August 7th 09, 03:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bob syr

What is a mixed gender cat, by the way? *I've never heard of that.

Calvin - Neither did I. When I brought the first cat in for spaying,
we (the vet and I) presumed it was female. She had a smaller head and
no sign of male genitalia. When they opened her for the spaying they
found the insides were male. Female on the outside and male on the
inside! She had an identical-looking twin and I named the two of them
Hermes and Aphrodite. However, Aphrodite turned out to be a regular
female. On the form, under sex the vet wrote "mixed" on Hermes'
certificate. Actually, three of the cats are in desperate need of a
home. The rest are more or less visitors to the colony and are
experienced neighborhood moochers. If I could place these three,
Hermes, Aphrodite, and Leo, I'd be somewhat happy. They are helpless
as, well, kittens. - Bob
Old August 7th 09, 07:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
FirstHit

On Aug 6, 7:21*pm, bob syr wrote:
What is a mixed gender cat, by the way? *I've never heard of that.

Calvin - Neither did I. *When I brought the first cat in for spaying,
we (the vet and I) presumed it was female. *She had a smaller head and
no sign of male genitalia. *When they opened her for the spaying they
found the insides were male. *Female on the outside and male on the
inside! *She had an identical-looking twin and I named the two of them
Hermes and Aphrodite. *However, Aphrodite turned out to be a regular
female. *On the form, under sex the vet wrote "mixed" on Hermes'
certificate. *Actually, three of the cats are in desperate need of a
home. *The rest are more or less visitors to the colony and are
experienced neighborhood moochers. *If I could place these three,
Hermes, Aphrodite, and Leo, I'd be somewhat happy. *They are helpless
as, well, kittens. - Bob

Very interesting. Since there were no testicles outside, were they
inside?

FirstHit
Old August 8th 09, 01:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bob syr

Very interesting. *Since there were no testicles outside, were they
inside?

FirstHit

FirstHit - I never thought to ask. I honestly don't know. "He" now
is healthy as a horse but needs a home soon. Any help or advice would
be appreciated.

feral cats snuffy Cat community 5 December 26th 08 07:28 AM
Questions About Black Cats, Genetics and Feral Cats mc Cat health & behaviour 21 January 29th 08 05:52 PM
How To Rescue and Relocate A Kat - KISS whitershadeofpale Cat health & behaviour 0 July 4th 05 02:18 PM
Two Feral Cats ceb2 Cat health & behaviour 92 October 30th 04 05:11 AM
Whats the best way to relocate a litter box? Pierre Cat health & behaviour 20 February 10th 04 03:09 AM