I attempt to make a cat tree...LONG

Old April 15th 04, 06:10 AM
Christine Burel

Default I attempt to make a cat tree...LONG

Last month, being short of dollarinos but long on ambition, I thought I'd
try to turn an existing 3-foot tall carpeted cat perch into a cat tree. I
went to Home Depot and bought two 2x4s, a 4-foot heavy cardboard concrete
mould, more staples for my staple gun, rubber cement, and way too much
indoor/outdoor carpeting. My plan was to carpet (using the staple gun) both
2x4s and attach them on either side of the existing cat perch; cut the
4-foot concrete mould in two and glue and staple gun indoor/outdoor
carpeting on the interior and exterior of the 2-foot "tunnels" for catly
comfort and entertainment. The idea was to attach one tunnel underneath the
lowest perch and attach the other tunnel on top of a small length of wood
that would bridge the 2x4s -- "Voila," I thought, "instant cat tree."

I spent one Saturday on cutting the tunnels and carpeting, stapling and
gluing them outside on my driveway to the bemusement of my neighbors (so I
wouldn't asphyxiate from the rubber cement fumes). The next Saturday I went
back to Home Depot and bought fancy-coated 3-inch wood screws so I could
attach the 2x4s, tunnels, etc. I also sweet-talked my DH, Byron, into
helping me assemble this stuff. It was not as easy as I'd thought it would
be -- Surprize! We spent quite a long time (did I mention I have a
wonderful DH?)-- got the 2x4's attached and then had to attach the top
tunnel to a 2-inch by 4-foot wood piece (which DH had to saw into a much
smaller length with the absolutely wrong kind of saw plus plenty of
perspiration(yep, and did I mention, Byron's a good sport, too?). Gee, the
drill doesn't fit into the diameter of the tunnel (well, dangitall, did I
mention Byron's patient, also?!)!!! Well, with some ingenuity we managed
anyway and, "Yes!," we got a tunnel perched on top of the cat tree and the
whole contraption (heavy, now, too!) back into the house in front of the
window....

Well, the tunnel survived me placing a scared Robin cat (10 lbs.) into the
tunnel; Byron and I felt proud and successful and walked into the kitchen.
About 5 minutes later, I hear a KA-THUD! And, sigh, the tunnel did NOT,
alas, survive the impact of the "pleasingly plump," Ms. Midnight. The
tunnel tore right off the support and now all that was on top was the 2-inch
wood slat...I then had plans for attached a wooden platform to the top for
the next weekend... but wait, there's a happier ending to this cat tree tale
(which didn't involve more work or stupidity.)

Robin adopted this cat whatever-you-call-it as his "jungle gym" -- he hangs
over the wooden slat on top and curls around and tries to grab his tail; he
balances on it like a circus performer and sometimes he just straddles the
thing and lets his legs hang over either side. Then he rolls and hauls
himself around the 2x4s, wrestling it with all claws extended (I attached
sisal rope to one side) and has himself an exhausting but definitely jolly
old time. (This weekend I'm going to have to get shots of this for ya'll;
it's hilarious.) So I guess Christine's Folly is going to stay like it is.
The 2 carpeted tunnels are free-standing and useable and I do position them
in front of the window on the ground and Midnight likes them very much for
bird-watching.

And I think my handyman days are over...

Christine

Old April 15th 04, 11:29 AM
JP Hobbs

WOW!!!! you sound a lot like meI nearly killed myself laughing
because I could half guess the ending It was like looking into a mirror
Jean.P. with lots of giggling.

Old April 15th 04, 12:07 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Christine Burel at
wrote on 4/15/04 12:10 AM:

[...]

LOL!! Well a happy accident I am looking forward to pics.

Karen

Old April 15th 04, 02:57 PM
Sherry

Robin adopted this cat whatever-you-call-it as his "jungle gym" -- he hangs
over the wooden slat on top and curls around and tries to grab his tail; he
balances on it like a circus performer and sometimes he just straddles the
thing and lets his legs hang over either side. Then he rolls and hauls
himself around the 2x4s, wrestling it with all claws extended (I attached
sisal rope to one side) and has himself an exhausting but definitely jolly
old time. (This weekend I'm going to have to get shots of this for ya'll;
it's hilarious.) So I guess Christine's Folly is going to stay like it is.
The 2 carpeted tunnels are free-standing and useable and I do position them
in front of the window on the ground and Midnight likes them very much for
bird-watching.

And I think my handyman days are over...

Christine

Oh, I know they love their cat tree *a lot*!
Never say never--if you ever want to tackle another one, I have a CD of "cat
tree plans". Would be happy to copy it and mail it to you. It's kind of a "Cat
Trees for Idiots" thing we bought when we did our first one, with detailed
instructions how to carpet, etc. You should see our first one (it was "free
form" LOL, no instructions)...It's a bizarre looking thing and a little
unstable (can't have too big of a base, we learned). But it's their favorite
one--because it's all the way to the ceiling nearly.
Loved your story. Your DH *is* a good sport. I thought they broke the mold when
they made mine, but I guess not!

Sherry

Old April 15th 04, 04:04 PM
LAL

"Sherry " wrote in message
snip
Oh, I know they love their cat tree *a lot*!
Never say never--if you ever want to tackle another one, I have a CD of

"cat
tree plans". Would be happy to copy it and mail it to you. It's kind of a

"Cat
Trees for Idiots" thing we bought when we did our first one, with detailed
instructions how to carpet, etc. You should see our first one (it was

"free
form" LOL, no instructions)...It's a bizarre looking thing and a little
unstable (can't have too big of a base, we learned). But it's their

favorite
one--because it's all the way to the ceiling nearly.
Loved your story. Your DH *is* a good sport. I thought they broke the mold

when
they made mine, but I guess not!

Sherry

A CD of "cat tree plans"??? Ohh, sounds interesting. Where'd ya get it?
What's the 'official' title of the CD? Maybe it's available online
somewhere.... Hmmmmmm...

lal

Old April 15th 04, 04:10 PM
Marina

"Christine Burel" wrote
snip

Well, the tunnel survived me placing a scared Robin cat (10 lbs.) into the
tunnel; Byron and I felt proud and successful and walked into the kitchen.
About 5 minutes later, I hear a KA-THUD! And, sigh, the tunnel did NOT,
alas, survive the impact of the "pleasingly plump," Ms. Midnight.

another snip

Robin adopted this cat whatever-you-call-it as his "jungle gym" -- he

hangs
over the wooden slat on top and curls around and tries to grab his tail;

he
balances on it like a circus performer and sometimes he just straddles the
thing and lets his legs hang over either side. Then he rolls and hauls
himself around the 2x4s, wrestling it with all claws extended (I attached
sisal rope to one side) and has himself an exhausting but definitely jolly
old time. (This weekend I'm going to have to get shots of this for ya'll;
it's hilarious.) So I guess Christine's Folly is going to stay like it

is.

LOL! I have to applaud you both for your tenacity and ingeniousness, though
the final result wasn't quite what you expected. At least Robin enjoys it,
and I can't wait for the pics!

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki