Tumor (?)on old cat's ear

Old June 26th 05, 04:19 PM
clare

Default Tumor (?)on old cat's ear

Hi, all,
I've lurked on this group, and once before you all helped me make a
difficult decision. I think I've already made this one, but would
really appreciate any useful feedback.

I have a 19 year old (20, if he makes it to September) DSH who,
several months ago, developed a sore on his ear that has not healed
The ear is a "cauliflower" ear from having had a drainage tube
inserted after a bout with a rickettsial infection when he was about
eight.

The ear irritates him, clearly. I've taken him to the vet several
times and have tried several remedies, including the powder used for
"hot spots" and an elizabethan collar, but it gets no better. And it
does irritate him. It suppurates--seeps a clear fluid--and bleeds,
though the bleeding may be from him scratching at it. I have recently
begun using neosporin ointment with pain reliever and it does seem to
help, some. There is rawness and seeping both on the outside and the
inside of the eartip, though not down the ear canal that we can tell.

My vet tells me that if I choose a "next step" it would be removing
all or part of it, x-raying the cat to see if there's anything similar
in his gut (he's eating fine, though occasionally seems to have
trouble chewing on the same side as the bad ear) and biopsying the
growth. Because of his age, I am loath to do that and am quite
literally on the verge of euthanizing him, though that would break my
heart.

I am very curious, though,as to what this might be, though the vet
thinks it's a tumor. Is there a tumor that continually seeps and
irritates like this? It's hard on palpaption, not like an infection
(and we've tried antibiotics, anyway.) He's a ginger cat with pink
skin on the eartips, and it seems as though he's developing some
slight scaliness on the other ear, so a tumor does make sense.

Before I make this final decision, though, I'd like a better idea of
what we're dealing with and if there is anything that can be done for
him that won't cause him more distress than he's in, given his age.
If I do decide to euthanize, I need to know that there really is
nothing more that could have been done. I know that nearly 20 is a
ripe old age, but he seems healthy in just about every other respect
except for some arthritis, though having it myself I know how painful
it can be, but he's lost no weight since all of this began. I just
need to know, for my own sanity, that I've covered all of the bases
short of any kind of surgery. At his age I don't think general
anesthesia makes any sense.

I guess I'd feel better if I could say (to myself) that I had him
euthanized for something more specific than an "ear sore."

Anybody have any thoughts on what this might be. This cat has been my
longest relationship, sad to say. I didn't even live with my mother
for 19 years!

Thanks,
Clare
Old June 26th 05, 05:21 PM
Karen

in article , clare at
wrote on 6/26/05 10:19AM:

[...]

Well, to me, if he is fairly hearty otherwise, removing the tip, xraying (as
long as he is under, why not) and then biopsying the removed tip, is not too
invasive. How has his bloodwork been? It may provide some temporary relief,
and you would have a pretty definite diagnosis. The anesthesia is really the
most dangerous part here, but I don't know, if his bloodwork says he can
support it, I think I would want to try it. Hopefully others can throw in
their two cents as well.

Old June 26th 05, 06:20 PM
CatNipped

"clare" wrote in message
[...]

Clare, I think I'd go with the surgery. My Bandit, 15, went through 3
surgeries in 3 weeks and had no problem with the anesthesia. They use
isoflurane (sp?) now-a-days and that's pretty easy on their system. If your
cat is healthy in every other way he may have another 5+ good years in him
(the oldest cat on record was 35!).

Just my $.02.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 26th 05, 08:40 PM
Ashley

"clare" wrote in message

I am very curious, though,as to what this might be, though the vet
thinks it's a tumor. Is there a tumor that continually seeps and
irritates like this? It's hard on palpaption, not like an infection
(and we've tried antibiotics, anyway.) He's a ginger cat with pink
skin on the eartips, and it seems as though he's developing some
slight scaliness on the other ear, so a tumor does make sense.

Does sound suspiciously like skin cancer to me. We've got the second-highest
skin cancer rate in the world down here (in humans) and the symptoms you
describe are just what we are told to be suspicious of. Add to that he's a
pink-eared cat, and that makes it pretty much certain in my book. I'm no
expert, but it sounds right to me.

Old June 26th 05, 09:04 PM
CatNipped

"Ashley" wrote in message

"clare" wrote in message

I am very curious, though,as to what this might be, though the vet
thinks it's a tumor. Is there a tumor that continually seeps and
irritates like this? It's hard on palpaption, not like an infection
(and we've tried antibiotics, anyway.) He's a ginger cat with pink
skin on the eartips, and it seems as though he's developing some
slight scaliness on the other ear, so a tumor does make sense.

Does sound suspiciously like skin cancer to me. We've got the

second-highest
skin cancer rate in the world down here (in humans) and the symptoms you
describe are just what we are told to be suspicious of. Add to that he's a
pink-eared cat, and that makes it pretty much certain in my book. I'm no
expert, but it sounds right to me.

Could well be, Ashley - pink skinned cats are as much in danger of skin
cancer as fair-skinned people.

Clare, was he an indoor only kitty, or did he go out? Is it possible that
he could have gotten skin cancer from UV rays (even if only from sitting on
a window sill)?

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 26th 05, 09:59 PM
clare

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 15:04:16 -0500, "CatNipped"

Clare, was he an indoor only kitty, or did he go out? Is it possible that
he could have gotten skin cancer from UV rays (even if only from sitting on
a window sill)?

In his long life he's been an indoor/outdoor cat, and I'm thinking
it's skin cancer, as well, which is why I don't see a lot of point in
doing anything further. The fact that his other ear is getting a
little scaly and has a dark blotch near the tip makes me think that
it's just a matter of time for the other one.

He's such an amazing cat and has survived so much--when he was six
months old he was hit by a car when I was out of town. A neighbor was
supposed to be watching him. A different neighbor took him to a vet
that wasn't mine, and even though he agreed to pay until I coudl get
back in town and confirm, that vet STILL didn't do anything. When I
got back two days later I OK'd surgery--his back left leg was broken
and had to be pinned back together, and his jaw wired, and he was
coming out of all of that when he started yowling in pain for no
reson. Turned out the vet had used him as a teaching case, unbeknownst
to me, and the student had put in a pin that was too long. The pin
had extended up toward the sciatic nerve and the nerve had grown into
it, so they had to go back then and tease it all out surgically. This
was at six months. Then at eight years he got the rickettsial
infection, which I nursed him through but left him with the
cauliflower ear, and only about 2 and a half years ago an
irresponsible renting neighbor -- an equine vet resident, of all
things--let his girlfriend's cat out. This cat loved people, hated
other cats. Mac, at 17, was peacefully sunning himself on my front
stoop when he apparently was attacked and the other cat tried to kill
him. My other neighbors saw it, called me at work and I rushed him
home. Once again I was sure he was a goner, and had even dug a grave,
but he made it through and has been great--and completely indoor--ever
since. Now this seems to bother him so much, and he is very stiff
with what I think is arthritis, and much as I want to keep him alive
because he's always been such a fighter, I don't think it's fair to
him to make him endure any more. I think he stays alive for me, and
it's time for me to let him go. I don't think he understands what
death is, though I had the kitty who'd been with him all his life put
down on New Year's 2001 for bad cancer. I've been trying to sent
mental pictures to him of him playing with her when they were kittens,
and of chasing crunched up cigarette packs back when he was a kitten
himself, and I think maybe he is ready to go. I've had him since he
was an embryo--his mother was an outiside stray I fed who, never
having been in my house one night ran int he door when I opened it,
jumped on the sofa and started giving birth. I moved her into the
closet; Mac was the first one out. I found homes for her and the other
kittens but kept him.

This is the hardest one ever for me, but I think it's time I thought
of him first. After the last vet visit, when he peed in the crate (he
has never done that before) , I promised him he'd never have to go to
the vet again...he's had so much pain and still is such a sweet cat.

So I think, tomorrow, I make an appointment to have the vet come here
on Friday. It will give me time to really accept the idea, spoil him
and say goodbye, and after it's over, to grieve. I have three other
cats--17, 16 and unknown (another stray) but I think this will be the
hardest thing I've ever done or wil do. It's time to let him go and
be thankful I had him at all. He's taught me so much-- patience.
This guy will sit quietly for half an hour when he wants something,
not moving. Faith. He has absolute faith that I will get the message
and either give him what he wants or at least give him affection.
Trust. He trusts me completely and totally, which is why I have to
give him this gift.

Old June 26th 05, 10:00 PM
CatNipped

"clare" wrote in message
[...]

Ohmygawd! What a hard life he's had. Poor old guy, he really is a fighter!

Ultimately, only you and he will know when it's time - nobody else can
decide that for the two of you, so go with what your instincts are telling
you. It's the ultimate gift of love to let our furry babies go peacefully
when the time come - and even though it breaks our hearts, it's what's best
for them that counts.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 27th 05, 01:35 AM
Candace

Clare wrote:

So I think, tomorrow, I make an appointment to have the vet come here
on Friday. It will give me time to really accept the idea, spoil him
and say goodbye, and after it's over, to grieve. I have three other
cats--17, 16 and unknown (another stray) but I think this will be the
hardest thing I've ever done or wil do. It's time to let him go and
be thankful I had him at all. He's taught me so much-- patience.
This guy will sit quietly for half an hour when he wants something,
not moving. Faith. He has absolute faith that I will get the message
and either give him what he wants or at least give him affection.
Trust. He trusts me completely and totally, which is why I have to
give him this gift.

You know him best. I wish you both peace no matter what you decide.
You're lucky you have a vet who makes house calls. I'll be thinking of
Mac.

Candace

Old June 27th 05, 11:22 PM
clare

Thank you, all of you, for giving me a place to vent. I didn't make
the appointment today; I've been home because I had a medical test
this morning and have spent the day with him, and I just can't seem to
make the call. I don't know if I 'm just being selfish or not, but I
couldn't do it today. Maybe tomorrow; he's so bright and alert and
eating, but then the ear seeps and he paws at it and his paw turns red
with blood from the ear. The neosporing with pain killer does help,
but I almost wish he seemed sicker. It would be so much easier. But
we've been dealing with this ear for more than five months.

Think good thoughts to give me courage and selflessness to do the
right thing...and to know when to do it.
Clare

Old June 28th 05, 04:11 AM
clare

He's almost 20, and the other ear is starting to get dark and scaly.
Mak eno mistake, I've considered it. But at this stage I have to
wonder who I would be doing it for...he's also stiff from arthritis.
He's the equivalent of a 100+ year old human. If I make it to that
age, I don't think I'd want anything amputated. I haven't had
problems letting go of other cats when it was clearly time, but this
one is so difficult precisely because he HAS fought through so much.
I've been taking digital pictures of him regularly to track how he
looks, whether he seems worse or in more pain. I think I'm just
selfishly procrastinating.

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 00:04:30 GMT, Diane
wrote:

In article ,
clare wrote:

Thank you, all of you, for giving me a place to vent. I didn't make
the appointment today; I've been home because I had a medical test
this morning and have spent the day with him, and I just can't seem to
make the call. I don't know if I 'm just being selfish or not, but I
couldn't do it today. Maybe tomorrow; he's so bright and alert and
eating, but then the ear seeps and he paws at it and his paw turns red
with blood from the ear. The neosporing with pain killer does help,
but I almost wish he seemed sicker. It would be so much easier. But
we've been dealing with this ear for more than five months.

Can you have the flap amputated? Would that eliminate the tumor?