Abelard is acting strange

Old August 6th 05, 03:31 AM
Pat

Default Abelard is acting strange

Abelard has spent the last 35 hours *in the house* and is getting into my
lap constantly and smurgling like crazy. He's also eating far more than I've
ever seen him eat, and drinking a ton of water -- he's at the water bowl at
least hourly and spends several minutes lapping on each visit. When the bowl
goes dry he tells me about it quite insistently.

This evening I opened a can of pineapple chunks packed in pineapple juice,
and I was eating it from the can. I set it down for a few minutes to visit
the bathroom, and when I got back, Abelard was drinking the juice.

I'm pleased, of course, that he's finally found his appetite and is not
staying out most of the time as has been his pattern, but on the other hand
I am just a little bit worried because I don't know the reason for this
shift in his behavior.

Old August 6th 05, 05:17 AM
Pat

"Karen" wrote

Weather change?

The only change in this time period has been a slight rise in the humidity
and a slight drop in temperature which makes the heat index about the same
as it's been since mid-July.

I just sent him outside to pee. We'll see how long he stays out. This
morning he peed on the floor. I think it's been more than a year now since
I've seen him use a litterbox.

Old August 6th 05, 05:32 AM
jmcquown

Pat wrote:
"Karen" wrote

Weather change?

The only change in this time period has been a slight rise in the
humidity and a slight drop in temperature which makes the heat index
about the same as it's been since mid-July.

I just sent him outside to pee. We'll see how long he stays out. This
morning he peed on the floor. I think it's been more than a year now
since I've seen him use a litterbox.

Possible urinary tract infection.

Jill

Old August 6th 05, 05:37 AM
Christine Burel

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Pat wrote:
"Karen" wrote

Weather change?

The only change in this time period has been a slight rise in the
humidity and a slight drop in temperature which makes the heat index
about the same as it's been since mid-July.

I just sent him outside to pee. We'll see how long he stays out. This
morning he peed on the floor. I think it's been more than a year now
since I've seen him use a litterbox.

Possible urinary tract infection.

Jill

I'm wondering about diabetes?
Christine

Old August 6th 05, 05:43 AM
Takayuki

"Pat" wrote:

"Karen" wrote

Weather change?

The only change in this time period has been a slight rise in the humidity
and a slight drop in temperature which makes the heat index about the same
as it's been since mid-July.

I just sent him outside to pee. We'll see how long he stays out. This
morning he peed on the floor. I think it's been more than a year now since
I've seen him use a litterbox.

He's a fairly unusual cat to begin with, but I can see why you would
be worried. It doesn't sound at the moment like it's anything
serious, and hopefully it'll stay that way.

Old August 6th 05, 05:44 AM

Christine Burel wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
Pat wrote:
"Karen" wrote

Weather change?

The only change in this time period has been a slight rise in the
humidity and a slight drop in temperature which makes the heat index
about the same as it's been since mid-July.

I just sent him outside to pee. We'll see how long he stays out. This
morning he peed on the floor. I think it's been more than a year now
since I've seen him use a litterbox.

Possible urinary tract infection.

Jill

Yes, that's what I first thought of. Kidney failure, diabetes and
urinary tract problems all make them drink really excessively. Don't
think it affects appetitue though.

Sherry

Old August 6th 05, 05:52 AM
Rrb

Pat wrote:
"Karen" wrote

Weather change?

The only change in this time period has been a slight rise in the humidity
and a slight drop in temperature which makes the heat index about the same
as it's been since mid-July.

I just sent him outside to pee. We'll see how long he stays out. This
morning he peed on the floor. I think it's been more than a year now since
I've seen him use a litterbox.

He's acting strange and you let him OUT? Why? I wouldn't have unless he
was acting normal.
Old August 6th 05, 06:14 AM
mlbriggs

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 21:44:50 -0700, sriddles wrote:

Christine Burel wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
Pat wrote:
"Karen" wrote

Weather change?

The only change in this time period has been a slight rise in the
humidity and a slight drop in temperature which makes the heat index
about the same as it's been since mid-July.

I just sent him outside to pee. We'll see how long he stays out.
This morning he peed on the floor. I think it's been more than a
year now since I've seen him use a litterbox.

Possible urinary tract infection.

Jill

Yes, that's what I first thought of. Kidney failure, diabetes and urinary
tract problems all make them drink really excessively. Don't think it
affects appetitue though.

Sherry

I'm wondering about diabetes?
Christine

Hyperthyroid makes them want a lot to eat. Whatever it is, purrs for him
to get well MLB

Old August 6th 05, 10:24 AM
Adrian

Pat wrote:
Abelard has spent the last 35 hours *in the house* and is getting
into my lap constantly and smurgling like crazy. He's also eating far
more than I've ever seen him eat, and drinking a ton of water -- he's
at the water bowl at least hourly and spends several minutes lapping
on each visit. When the bowl goes dry he tells me about it quite
insistently.

This evening I opened a can of pineapple chunks packed in pineapple
juice, and I was eating it from the can. I set it down for a few
minutes to visit the bathroom, and when I got back, Abelard was
drinking the juice.

I'm pleased, of course, that he's finally found his appetite and is
not staying out most of the time as has been his pattern, but on the
other hand I am just a little bit worried because I don't know the
reason for this shift in his behavior.

I would be worried about diabetes, get him checked by TED if this
carries on for more than a couple of days. Purrs that it's not something
serious.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.