New Toys

Old October 4th 03, 10:29 PM
Tanada

Default New Toys

Those of you who have been lobbying for Pine Cone to have a new crows'
nest, need lobby no more. One of the volunteers with our local no kill
shelter made and donated a cat tree to sell for the shelter. We bought
it.

It is six feet tall, has a lower shelf that is 25 inches wide by 41
inches long, has a long pole, a 12 by 18 inch pole shelf and a split
nest at the top that looks like spoilers on it. When we brought it into
the house, put it down in the living room in order to clear the corner
out for it, six cats immediately climbed on it. Berfert, Tanada, and
Penny (who was on it briefly, but left when Rascal joined in the crowd)
watched from the sidelines and then walked away. I've caught Penny and
Tanada on it since then, but Berfert is paranoid and thinks that
anything new is going to GET him.

And our other new toy for the owners. Rob, Jim, Mike, and (to a lessor
extent) Mandy and Jesse built a 16' X 12' X 9' enclosure for the
felines. The pathway runs from one of our bedroom windows to the
enclosure and there is enough room for them all. We haven't put in more
than a couple of tree chunks, sisal rope wrapped halfway up the center
pole, and one of the cats' old cat stands, but there is almost always at
least three cats out there at any one time.

Pine Cone has figured out that if he goes out the cat door, and sits in
the tunnel, the other cats have a hard time getting past him. This is
great fun. Penny loves one of the chunks and Squeakers and QC love to
climb the sisal wrapped pole. We do need to finish getting it up to the
roof, then they can climb nine feet up.
Lots of lumber laying around the back yard, including over a cord and
half of wood for winter heating. The geese are flying south over two
weeks early, so we're preparing for a cold one. BTW, the cats love
work. They could (and do) watch it for hours.

Pam S.

Old October 4th 03, 11:03 PM
Victor M. Martinez

Sounds like your crew is living the good life! We just got back from Lowe's
where we bought wood and screws for our newest cat project. I'll post
pictures when we finish it, probably tomorrow 'cause it's too hot outside
right now.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old October 5th 03, 01:13 AM
jmcquown

Victor M. Martinez wrote:
Sounds like your crew is living the good life! We just got back from
Lowe's where we bought wood and screws for our newest cat project.
I'll post pictures when we finish it, probably tomorrow 'cause it's
too hot outside right now.

Gee, wish it was you who answered the phone last night. Wasn't a
telemarketer; was a survey about home improvement stores. Since I live in
an apartment and the most "home improvement" I've done in the last 6 months
was... well, nothing! you'd have been a better candidate for the survey.

Can't wait to see your cat project!

Jill

Old October 5th 03, 05:21 AM
Marina

Oh, it sounds like kitty heaven at Chez Shirk. Wish I had room for such
lovely cat facilities. Wish I had room for nine cats. ;o)

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old October 5th 03, 10:42 AM
polonca12000

Wonderful!
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Tanada" wrote in message
Those of you who have been lobbying for Pine Cone to have a new crows'
nest, need lobby no more. snip