Mounting Problem

Old April 27th 04, 11:32 PM
Jenn

Default Mounting Problem

Hello All,
I have an orange tabby named Marmalade, he is 5 years old and neutered, we
got him from the shelter about 4 years ago. All of our female and male cats
are neutered/spayed. Ever since we moved, Marmalade keeps walking around
meowing at all hours of the day and night. He has now taken to mounting our
4 year old Siamese Suki, she allows it. Any reason why he would do this?

Jenn

Old April 28th 04, 09:40 PM
Priscilla H Ballou

kaeli quoth:
In article , jennthediva-
enlightened us with...
Hello All,
I have an orange tabby named Marmalade, he is 5 years old and neutered, we
got him from the shelter about 4 years ago. All of our female and male cats
are neutered/spayed. Ever since we moved, Marmalade keeps walking around
meowing at all hours of the day and night. He has now taken to mounting our
4 year old Siamese Suki, she allows it. Any reason why he would do this?

Who told you he was neutered?
Is it possible, since he was a shelter cat, that they were wrong?
Is it possible he has undescended testicles?

Have the vet check his little private parts for penile spines. If
present, he has one or both testicles still, possibly undescended and
missed during neutering.

Other than that, I've no clue.

Mounting can be dominance behavior. My beautiful but idiotic Benjamin
(neutered male) who is not alpha cat but sometimes thinks he is, tried to
mount his sister the other day. She *is* the alpha cat and told him so
without much room for argument. I added my own two cents worth as well.
Benjamin looked confused but his attention was soon diverted. ADD, too!
He's a beautiful boy, but total fluff between the ears. :-)

I think the phrase "ever since we moved" is key to the mystery of the
yowling and unusual behavior. Cats can attach more to places than even to
people. Sounds like he might be needing some extra reassurance now you
all are in your new home. When my cats yowl, I answer them, and they
eventually wander in to wherever I am. Often they'll have a toy in their
mouths, which I then praise them for bringing me. Pseudo-prey?
Pseudo-kitten? Who knows, but I tell them they're a good boy/girl, and
they calm down.

Priscilla

Old April 28th 04, 11:34 PM
Jenn

"Priscilla H Ballou" wrote in message
[...]

LOL I wish Suki would show him a thing or two, but she allows it. I wonder
if I should get him checked for undescended testicles. We got him from the
Humane Society, would they make mistakes like that? Anyone ever have that
happen? Today he's been talking away haha, been following me around and
meowing. His thing is with the sisal scratching post, he always goes there
and "barks"-I call it barks because it sounds like it LOL.

Jenn