trapping ferals

Old October 25th 03, 12:41 AM
Ed Christie

Default trapping ferals

There is a feral cat at the local waste disposal site that I use.
I have been feeding it in the hope that I will be able to bring it
home. Progress has been slow but steady until another person decided
to feed it. He just dumps kibble on the ground 2lbs at a time.
Needless to say the cat is no longer hungry and my progress has halted
completely. I think that I may be able to trap the cat by cleaning up
the kible before the cat can get to it. Assuming that I can trap this
cat what is the best way to domesticate it. We currently have a
neutered male that is approching 2 years. I realize that no cat is
ever really domesticated but I would like to get it as close as
possible. As iI see it there are three problems. Training to use the
litter box, Having each cat tolerate each other and last geting the
new cat to at least tolerate my wife and I Any and all ideas and
suggestions will be carefully considered.

Ed Christie

To reply via email change junk1 to ed
Old October 25th 03, 01:52 AM
Betsy

I would put up a sign for the other person, and then rent a trap. Or, I
would call a rescue agency with expertise in this area and get them to help
you catch it, for the price of a donation and the adoption of the cat.

Old October 25th 03, 02:01 AM
Gail

Rent a have a heart trap. Put a smelly fish in the trap (ie tuna). Bring the
feral inside in a room of its own with food, water, litter, and a bed.
Gradually sit in the room where he is while he is eating. Taming a feral
takes much time and patience. After months (maybe) you can gradually expose
him to your cat if he has been medically cleared by a vet. One of my four
cats was feral and I love her to death. It literally took years to tame her
and she is still shy and runs from people other than my spouse and myself.
Cats will instinctively use a litter box. Use clumping unscented litter with
no hood on the box.
Gail

Old October 25th 03, 02:35 AM
Cheryl

In ,
Gail composed with style:

Rent a have a heart trap. Put a smelly fish in the trap (ie tuna).
Bring the feral inside in a room of its own with food, water,
litter, and a bed. Gradually sit in the room where he is while he
is eating. Taming a feral takes much time and patience. After
months (maybe) you can gradually expose him to your cat if he has
been medically cleared by a vet. One of my four cats was feral and
I love her to death. It literally took years to tame her and she is
still shy and runs from people other than my spouse and myself.
Cats will instinctively use a litter box. Use clumping unscented
litter with no hood on the box.
Gail

Ed, I agree with Gail but I think you should take the cat straight to
the vet *in* the trap the same day, or next day if trapped overnight.
The cat should be neutered (if it isn't already), given shots and
dewormer, advantage or frontline for parasites and checked over
thoroughly. From there with that out of the way, the socialization
can begin. Good luck to you, and it is really rewarding! My feral
was exposed to my resident cats in a cage, and while I thought it was
inhumane at the time (because I'd never done it before), it turned out
to be the best thing that could have happened. She's only been in my
household since May but she has fit in with my other cats for months
now. Though still timid and wary, she is a lovebug and has started
coming out of hiding with only certain visitors.

Old October 25th 03, 02:35 AM
Cheryl

In ,
Gail composed with style:

Old October 25th 03, 04:01 AM
Cheryl

In ,
Karen M. composed with style:

Ed, I agree with Gail and Cheryl. Always best to be safe than
sorry. Good luck with your feral, hope it all works out!

You'd think with my cat household I'd have remembered to say to get
the FeLV/FIV test done right away.... sheesh.

Old October 25th 03, 04:10 AM
Karen M.

Cheryl wrote:

In ,
Gail composed with style:

[...]

Trapping Update - Frustrated! CatNipped Cat anecdotes 10 October 5th 04 02:33 PM
2 ferals StocksRusĀ® Cat anecdotes 47 March 2nd 04 09:07 AM
Need help in NYC trapping a mom and her three kittens Patricia Cat community 10 February 9th 04 06:08 AM