Cat lost BOTH teeth

Old April 24th 04, 08:32 PM
jc7098

Default Cat lost BOTH teeth

My cat lost one of his upper "fang" teeth several years ago, and then
I found the other one on the floor this morning. Does this mean he
won't be able to eat regular (aka "hard") cat food anymore? I took
his food away this morning b/c I wanted to give his gum time to heal
from losing the tooth this morning. Any help is appreciated.

thanks
Old April 24th 04, 08:38 PM
Cathy Friedmann

He'll be able to eat crunchy food even w/out both of his fang teeth. One of
my cats needed to have a bunch of her teeth extracted, & eventually she had
neither of her upper fangs, but it didn't matter, eating dry food; she
managed fine.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

om...

Old April 24th 04, 09:19 PM
MIKE

When Amber lost one of her fangs, she had an infection that required a
vet visit for an antibiotic shot and a few days later, dental cleaning.
The clue was that her breath smelled awful - even from a foot away. I
suggest you check your cat's breath and if it smells worse than usual.
get him to the vet.

-MIKE

Old April 24th 04, 10:40 PM
Mary

My cat lost one of his upper "fang" teeth several years ago, and then
I found the other one on the floor this morning. Does this mean he
won't be able to eat regular (aka "hard") cat food anymore?

They use fangs to kill prey and tear flesh from the bone. They use their other
teeth to chew wet and dry food so he'll be fine. I had a cat with zero teeth.
He ate everything. If his teeth are falling out, you might want to take him to
the vet for a regular checkup and dental cleaning. His other fangs may have gum
disease which is painful. If you treat it now, he may keep his other two fangs.
If they're in bad shape, the vet may yank them. Look at his gums. If they are
red, inflammed or if you see a lot of dark yellow/orange tartar, time for a
dental appointment. If he knocked his fang out in an accident, he may need a
visit in case it gets infected.