Feral kittens not really scared but..

Old October 9th 03, 12:34 AM
Rooster

Default Feral kittens not really scared but..

Hi, I found feral 3 kittens behind my shed one hissed and spit at me when I
first caught him(not now though) ,the other two look concerned but were
non-violent and I put them all in a sac and brought them inside.
(Im guessing there are 5-7 weeks old , Im no expert. ,but I suspect the
mother(which is stand-offish when I bring food out for other cats)brought
them Near where I place the feeding dish after they were weaned)
I was worried I was taking them in too young , But I've read that Feral
kittens , the younger the better.

I made a makeshift nursery out of a closet , cardbox box(for their
sanctuary) , litterbox, and box fan.
The First time I feed them a few sardines and they gobbled them up, So I
guess they are weaned off mother's milk, I've been feeding them moistened
Kitten Chow and of course water ,
They all knew what the litter box was for
I use the Boxfan wedged between the door and the sill , as a window for
them, They look through the grate but cannot get out ,it also gives them a
little more play space when door is not fully closed.

I had them for 3 days now,Im sitting right on the other side of the box fan
they come by the box fan and cry and try to climb out, go under the door,
and jump to get out and cry some more.It looks real pitiful and sad. I pet
them on the ground , and sometimes put them in the lap of my arms , pet them
, give cheek rubs, etc.
none of them hiss, but they are intent on crawling away from me to escape,
..I put them back behind the box fan and they start to cry and escape again.
I thought they would be inside the cardboard box afraid for the first few
days
but they dont seem to view me as a major threat otherwise they would hide in
the box and not put their paws on the grate and cry.
Im guessing they miss what they knew for the first 5 weeks of their life.
and want to get back to familiar surroundings.
I cant let them out , in the room because they will beeline to underneath
the bed and It will be a pain to get them.
I intend to let them out of the closet once I see they they arent interested
in escaping anymore.
I want to tame them, so we Can have to cats we can actually pet when they
get older.(then maybe the other ferals will see this and let me pet them?)
I play with them , With feathers on a string , not too interested , like I
said more interested in getting out of the closet
They just sleep , eat , or cry/escape

Is this normal for kittens to cry and escape?
Will they eventually stop crying/trying to escape and start playing with
eachother more in the closet ?
Suggestions?

Thanks,

Old October 9th 03, 03:51 AM
Iso

You are correct, the younger the kitten the better. Just remember that if
you decide to take in these kittens it's a lifetime decision. You will from
now on control their universe. You will control everything from feeding time
to play time. You need to consider taking them to the vet to be checked up
and given their shots. You also need to think about if you want to have them
neutered/castrated and declawed (although it's considered inhumane in some
areas). If you decide that you don't want the cat's you need to turn them
over to the Humane Society or a No Kill Shelter as soon as possible. Kittens
are predominantly adopted more than a one year old cat, which nobody wanted
to begin with. Do the right thing.

Old October 9th 03, 04:01 AM
Iso

And, yes, it is normal for the kittens to try to escape. They will
eventually stop crying, but the chances of that happening any time soon are
slim to none. It's going to progressively become worse as they get older,
depending on the sex of the cat and temperament. They will eventually begin
to pay with each other, but I would advise you to purchase some toys for the
cats. Remember, from this day on they are depending on you for food and
entertainment.

Old October 9th 03, 07:50 AM

ISO wrote:
You need to consider taking them to the

vet to be checked up and given their
shots.

It goes beyond "considering." This is a must, and the kittens should be
checked for worms and tested for FIV/Felv as well.

You also need to think about if you want
to have them neutered/castrated and
declawed (although it's considered
inhumane in some areas).

Neutering is mandatory, NOT something someone should "think about."
Declawing is considered inhumane and cruel on the majority of the planet
with the unfortunate exceptions of the US and Canada. For you to even
mention this as something to "think about" at all is disgusting and
irresponsible. Feral cats take declawing especially hard and many never
recover. That's the reason I started my website, because of the abuse
inflicted on a feral cat that never recovered and now lives in a cage
most of the time because she urinates everywhere as a result of being
declawed.

If you decide that you don't want the
cat's you need to turn them over to the
Humane Society or a No Kill Shelter as
soon as possible. Kittens are
predominantly adopted more than a one
year old cat, which nobody wanted to
begin with. Do the right thing.

If the poster really wants to do the right thing, they will ignore your
idiotic advice.
Unsocialized cats and kittens are considered "unadoptable" and are
killed. If the poster can't keep the kittens for whatever reason the
responsible thing to do is to find a good home for them, however long it
takes. Dumping them on an overburdened shelter who shouldn't have to
take on the responsibility of someone that is perfectly capable of
housing and finding homes for the kittens is the WRONG thing to do. I
suggest you stop typing such nonsense and start seeing reality.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old October 9th 03, 07:57 AM

I cant let them out , in the room because
they will beeline to underneath the bed
and It will be a pain to get them.

Take the bed off of the frame temporarily so it sits on the floor, or
get boxes , etc. you can put under the bed so they won't be able to get
under it. These are young kittens and are at a very active stage.
Keeping them in the closet is not kind and is also an exercise in
futility. It is best to isolate them in the room for now until you can
handle them more. Make sure to kittenproof the room so there are no
electrical cords they can chew, string, vertical blind cords or other
items that could cause them harm. A cardboard box or two with holes cut
out will provide loads of entertainment for them.

Old October 9th 03, 09:44 AM
MaryL

"Iso" wrote in message
You also need to think about if you want to have them
neutered/castrated and declawed (although it's considered inhumane in some
areas).

The kittens need to be neutered, but do not even consider declawing. That
is mutilation; in fact, it is amputation. Please find homes for these
kittens. Feral kittens would have little chance of survival in an animal
shelter.

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Old October 9th 03, 02:08 PM
Rooster

If the poster really wants to do the right thing, they will ignore your
idiotic advice.
Unsocialized cats and kittens are considered "unadoptable" and are
killed. If the poster can't keep the kittens for whatever reason the
responsible thing to do is to find a good home for them, however long it
takes. Dumping them on an overburdened shelter who shouldn't have to
take on the responsibility of someone that is perfectly capable of
housing and finding homes for the kittens is the WRONG thing to do. I
suggest you stop typing such nonsense and start seeing reality

I intend to keep them all in the house for now,At around 5-6 months , I will
take them all to get fixed.
and release them into my backyard.and Feed them daily
IF I get really attached by then or they're scared of the outside, I might
keep them as House cats.
Im also going to trap momma cat and get her fixed and release her in my
yard.

Thanks,

Old October 9th 03, 02:59 PM
Iso

Megan, think about what you just wrote. If the poster decides the kittens
are too much to handle, what do you expect him to do? Keep the cats and live
unhappily? It's his call no matter how unkind you think the decision is.
Also, declawing is not considered inhumane in the US although there are
certain counties in different states that WILL NOT DO the procedure.
Regarding turning the cats over to a Humane Society, or a No Kill Shelter,
what would you rather happen; he put the cats back on the street and let the
cats run free and possibly create a problems for his neighbors and the
community, or at least try to find the kittens a place to live. I don't know
where you live, but in the metropolis that I call home roughly 81% of the
kittens that are taken into the Humane Society and the No Kill Shelters are
feral, and they are NOT socialized before adoption. So you notion of
non-socialized cats not being adopted and then euthanized doesn't hold
water. I understand you are passionate about felines. However, not everyone
in this world is. So, if the poster decided the kittens are too much to
handle, or cant afford the vaccination costs, what is he left with? Post a
sign in the front yard "Free Kitten to good Home?" Understandably, the
kittens DO HAVE A RIGHT TO LIFE. But think about what you post before you
post false statements.

Old October 9th 03, 03:11 PM
Iso

Rooster,

You may want to check your state and local laws regarding releasing
felines into the neighborhood. I know the state that I used to live in,
significantly cut down the feral cat colony population. There were too many
complaints regarding felines urinating and defecating in neighbor's yards,
going through trash... Unfortunately, the complaints drew attention from
animal control and the felines were taken into custody. From there animal
control determined the age of the feline, sex and if it had any medical
problems. It may seem unfair, but you may want to review your local laws
regarding feral's. If you do plan to release the cats into your area, make
sure you have them neutered, and all vaccinations taken care of. You may
also want to consider tagging the cats, so if they are trapped and taken
into custody the will call you instead of doing something else. Below is the
local ordinance regarding animals, which was rewritten just a few months ago
and it includes cats/felines.

No ANIMAL shall be allowed to unreasonably annoy humans, to endanger the
life or health of other ANIMALS or PERSONS acting lawfully, or to
substantially interfere with the rights of others thereby interfering with
the reasonable use and enjoyment of property. It shall be prima facie
evidence of nuisance if an ANIMAL:
(1) consistently and/or constantly makes excessive noise;
(2) causes damage to or destruction of another's property;
(3) causes unsanitary, dangerous or offensive conditions, including the
fouling of the air by offensive odor emanating from excessive excrement; or
(4) creates a pest, parasite or scavenger control problem which is not
effectively treated.
(B) Upon receipt of an "Affidavit of Complaint," signed by 2 or more
unrelated COUNTY residents, each residing in separate dwellings in the
vicinity in which the alleged violation occurred, made under oath or
affirmation before an individual authorized by law to take acknowledgments,
setting forth the nature and the date of the act or acts, the OWNER of the
ANIMAL, the address of the OWNER and description of the ANIMAL doing such
act or acts, an ANIMAL CONTROL OFFICER shall conduct an investigation of the
incident. In the discretion of the DEPARTMENT, other reliable evidence may
replace one of the required affidavits.

Old October 9th 03, 03:29 PM

Rooster wrote:
I intend to keep them all in the house for
now,At around 5-6 months , I will take
them all to get fixed.
and release them into my backyard.and
Feed them daily
IF I get really attached by
then or they're scared of the outside, I
might keep them as House cats.

If you keep the kittens until 5 or 6 months, they should be completely
socialized and will be happy indoors. Releasing them to the outside at
that point would not only be cruel, but likely a death sentence as they
will not have been taught any type of survival skills by their mother
and will easily fall victim to cars, predators, etc. If you can't keep
them indoors, then it would be best to find them good homes with people
who will.
It's good you are going to trap the mother and have her spayed. If she
turns out to be a nice cat it would be great if you can find her a
caring home where she wont won't be exposed to the dangers of the
outdoors.