Renal failure?

Old November 22nd 09, 12:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Greene

Default Renal failure?

In searching around the web and looking at a cat memorial... the number of
cats dying of renal failure is shocking. Years ago when I worked in an
animal hospital in the city, this was a disease of old cats. Now I see
people losing much younger animals to this disease. Anyone have any idea
why it's becoming so common?

Old November 22nd 09, 12:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

My thoughts on this, after losing our first cat to renal failure at
age 16 back in 1979, is dry food.

Cats normally do not drink a lot of water. My 3 cats after the one
that died of renal failure ate nothing but canned Fancy Feast and had
no problems with their kidneys.

Cats eating canned food have a less smelly urine also.

My last cat had to be put to sleep at age 20 years 3 months - he was
suffering from hyperthyroidism that was diagnosed too late.
Old November 22nd 09, 08:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Buddy's Mom" wrote in message
My thoughts on this, after losing our first cat to renal failure at
age 16 back in 1979, is dry food.

Yes. Some cats do fine on it--I had one who lived to be 18-20 on SD dry--but
they are the "bulletproof" cats genetically disposed to good health. That
cat had every tooth in her head and only one was chipped when she died, and
was only sick when she ate houseplants, for her entire life. Most cats are
not that lucky. hell, most people aren't either.

Old November 23rd 09, 02:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 14:16:33 -0500, "cybercat"
wrote:

"Buddy's Mom" wrote in message
My thoughts on this, after losing our first cat to renal failure at
age 16 back in 1979, is dry food.

Yes. Some cats do fine on it--I had one who lived to be 18-20 on SD dry--but
they are the "bulletproof" cats genetically disposed to good health. That
cat had every tooth in her head and only one was chipped when she died, and
was only sick when she ate houseplants, for her entire life. Most cats are
not that lucky. hell, most people aren't either.

Espy still really likes dry food (Royal Canin #26 I think). He eats
some of his wet stuff but then stares at me, demanding some RC. Even
though the vet said no dry food, I usually give him a little but I put
water on it so he can't avoid taking in the water with it.
Old November 24th 09, 01:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, dgk exclaimed (11/23/2009 8:59 AM):
wrote:

"Buddy's Mom" wrote in message
My thoughts on this, after losing our first cat to renal failure at
age 16 back in 1979, is dry food.

Yes. Some cats do fine on it--I had one who lived to be 18-20 on SD dry--but
they are the "bulletproof" cats genetically disposed to good health. That
cat had every tooth in her head and only one was chipped when she died, and
was only sick when she ate houseplants, for her entire life. Most cats are
not that lucky. hell, most people aren't either.

Espy still really likes dry food (Royal Canin #26 I think). He eats
some of his wet stuff but then stares at me, demanding some RC. Even
though the vet said no dry food, I usually give him a little but I put
water on it so he can't avoid taking in the water with it.

Ive found as long as you give them some dry, they'll always hope for
more dry. I've finally got Meep completely off dry and at the moment
she's eating all her food, and starting (finally) to put on a little
weight. I might give her maybe 5 or 6 pieces on her canned food when
she doesn't want to eat it. She seems to understand that's all she's
getting, and will often then just keep eating after those 6 pieces are gone.

jmc
Old November 24th 09, 03:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Greene

"Buddy's Mom" wrote in message
My thoughts on this, after losing our first cat to renal failure at
age 16 back in 1979, is dry food.

The more I read online, the more I tend to agree.

Cats normally do not drink a lot of water. My 3 cats after the one
that died of renal failure ate nothing but canned Fancy Feast and had
no problems with their kidneys.

I would love to know the difference in the incidence of RF between those on
dry and those on a decent canned food. I can't find any statistics.

Cats eating canned food have a less smelly urine also.

My last cat had to be put to sleep at age 20 years 3 months - he was
suffering from hyperthyroidism that was diagnosed too late.

20 years is a good long life for a cat. On a memorial site I visited
recently many if not most died between 10 and 15 yrs old.

Old November 24th 09, 03:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Greene

wrote:

"Buddy's Mom" wrote in message
[...]

Fortunately little Phaedra doesn't eat dry food. She didn't seem to know
what it was. :-) She'll eat almost anything. Getting Zephyr to eat canned
is touch and go. She may skip a meal if it's canned but then later will eat
it when she realizes it's all she's going to get. I still mix a small
amount of dry with it but that will be phased out.

Old November 24th 09, 03:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

wrote:

"Buddy's Mom" wrote in message
[...]

And Espy is VERY good at staring at me. He does that for two things.
The first is some dry food. He does eat a lot of the wet stuff first
though. The second is when he wants a few Temptations. I have severely
cut back on those since his urinary blockage. It's so funny though. He
sits tall and stares at me, and sort of squints, like he's
concentrating really hard. And I start to hear "treats, treats,
treats.." in my head. Then he starts making pathetic mewling noises.
So I break two Temptations in half and it's like he got four.
Old November 24th 09, 08:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"dgk" wrote
And Espy is VERY good at staring at me. He does that for two things.
The first is some dry food. He does eat a lot of the wet stuff first
though. The second is when he wants a few Temptations. I have severely
cut back on those since his urinary blockage. It's so funny though. He
sits tall and stares at me, and sort of squints, like he's
concentrating really hard. And I start to hear "treats, treats,
treats.." in my head. Then he starts making pathetic mewling noises.
So I break two Temptations in half and it's like he got four.

This is so funny. Gracie gets free fed dry because she is just not that
interested in food, often leaves her canned half-eaten, and she tips the
scales at 7 lbs 4 oz as of the vet visit yesterday. She could get into
trouble quick if she stopped eating for some reason.

Old November 25th 09, 04:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, dgk exclaimed (11/24/2009 9:27 AM):

And Espy is VERY good at staring at me. He does that for two things.
The first is some dry food. He does eat a lot of the wet stuff first
though. The second is when he wants a few Temptations. I have severely
cut back on those since his urinary blockage. It's so funny though. He
sits tall and stares at me, and sort of squints, like he's
concentrating really hard. And I start to hear "treats, treats,
treats.." in my head. Then he starts making pathetic mewling noises.
So I break two Temptations in half and it's like he got four.

Meep does the mind control thing to get me to pet her, when I don't want
to. I also used to dream about her, then wake up to find her staring at
me. That was a bit creepy.

jmc