Brother & Sister now very aggressive

Old September 12th 04, 03:56 PM
Hooter

Default Brother & Sister now very aggressive

Both our cats are from same litter and are brother & sister of 8 years. The
past 8 years they have been very loving and affectionate to each other, only
with the odd paw fight with a bit of hissing. They are both primarily indoor
cats but wonder in our garden when supervised. Two weeks ago at about 0230
am we were awoken to the most horrendous noise from both our cats, hissing,
hackles up etc... The female cat would not let her brother near her and he
was getting very distressed which made matters even worse. We found urine
all over our dining room floor, not sure who's, hence a sleepless night for
all with both cats very distressed. The following day we took the female cat
to the vets as she seemed more distressed than him. That morning before she
went to the vets he was acting normal but she would still not let him near
her without a very loud hiss and growl. We found out from vet she has
arthritis down her back and one hind leg, she is now on permanent
medication. Everything seemed OK for two weeks with everything fine between
them as if nothing had happened until yesterday when she was in the garden
with my wife and he was in his basket by the door. All of a sudden he came
charging out hackles up to his sister who immediately hissed etc.. and it
has started all over again. The only solution we can think for this
behaviour is there are other cats that live in this area and maybe there was
a scent in the garden and being that is was windy in the garden could this
of provoked him to be like this.

Both of the cats have been spade and neutered since kittens....

Any help would be appreciated as we are very worried owners.

Old September 12th 04, 04:18 PM
Mary

"Hooter" wrote in message
[...]

I think you might be spot-on with the idea that the scent of other
animals might be causing these events of aggression. There has
been discussion here on a phenomenon that I think was referred
to as "misdirected aggression." I have seen it in one of our
cats, who saw a cat through a window and turned and
attacked my husband's ankle. This was her only episode of this.
We have since moved and do not have cats roaming in our yards.
Try a "Google groups" search on the term "misdirected aggression"
if you don't get all the information you need from others here.

Old September 12th 04, 04:32 PM
Mary

"Mary" wrote in message
om...

"Hooter" wrote in message
[...]

Or maybe "redirected aggression?"

Old September 12th 04, 07:52 PM
MacCandace

Or maybe "redirected aggression?"

I've heard it referred to as "misplaced aggression."

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

Old September 12th 04, 08:06 PM
Tracy

From: "Mary"

There has
been discussion here on a phenomenon that I think was referred
to as "misdirected aggression." I have seen it in one of our
cats, who saw a cat through a window and turned and
attacked my husband's ankle.

This happened years ago with my Maine coon. He would sit in the window and get
all aggitated watching the birds, and then be ugly to the humans in the house.
He launched a very bad( unprovoked ) attack on my then 3 year old son one day,
and jumped up at him and dug down the side of his face, and that was it for me.
I tossed his butt out the door and instructed him to feel free to get hit by a
car. Instead of getting hit, he promptly killed a couple of birds and then came
back in with a renewed spirit and a sweet nature. That was 16 years ago. He
never was mean again after he was allowed to go out when he wanted to.
Old September 12th 04, 08:06 PM
Tracy

Old September 12th 04, 09:57 PM
Mary

From: "Mary"

[...]

I refuse to respond to this obvious troll. Let the record show that
I can indeed summon restraint when I wish to. Thank you.