Normal for a cat to vomit a tapeworm vs the worm coming out in thestool?

Old April 12th 08, 03:27 PM posted to alt.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats
Cat Guy

Default Normal for a cat to vomit a tapeworm vs the worm coming out in thestool?

We recently gave one of our cats a deworming pill (milbemax) and later
found a worm (sorta looked like a tan-colored rubber band) in a pile
of vomit.

I thought that tape worms reside or attach to the intestinal wall (and
not the stomach wall) and therefore when the worm leaves the cat it's
by way of the stool.

So is it normal, or unusual, for the worm to be vomited out?
Old April 12th 08, 05:27 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cat Guy

AMUN wrote:

I thought that tape worms reside or attach to the intestinal
wall (and not the stomach wall) and therefore when the worm
leaves the cat it's by way of the stool.

So is it normal, or unusual, for the worm to be vomited out?

Not 100% normal. but I've heard of that happening even without
deworming. Usually the infestation is pretty bad by the time
it gets to the point it vomits them up though

Although are you sure it wasn't a rubber band ?
Cats can try to eat some pretty strange things

The (male) cat in question was caught in a trap around mid-January on
our front porch and soon after was taken to a vet for neutering,
vaccination and Revolution treatment. I'm pretty sure he was given a
drontal pill during recovery by the vet.

He is kept in a spare room with a minimal amount of furnature. Unlike
other cats we've caught, fixed, and adopted out, this guy has remained
very wild and resists all attempts to socialize with us, even after 11
weeks. I can barely reach out and touch his head without him opening
his eyes and his mouth wide and hissing as he backs into a corner. He
has been quite content to simply sleep in a corner under a table most
of the time. Not a sound from him - unlike the other cats we've
caught (they usually cry at night, I think as they look out the
window).

About a month ago we noticed that there were reddish streaks on the
canvas drop-cover we have on the floor of his room. A new streak
seemed to be appearing each day for about a week or two. I'm thinking
they were bum-scoots. A few days ago he threw up a lot of food, and
that's when I noticed dried tape-worm segments on the blanket where he
sleeps.

So I placed a milbemax pill (un-crushed) in with his food and within
12 hours he vomitted up some food and the worm. It was definately a
worm and not a rubber band.

And the very next night (last night) he started crying. Hopefully his
quiteness and wildness was being caused by GI discomfort that has now
passed and perhaps he might just start being more friendly. We
were/are considering letting him go in a week or two because we
considered him unadoptable.

I'm wondering if I should give him another milbemax in a week just to
make sure we've gotten rid of all the worms.

Comments? Questions?
Old April 12th 08, 06:10 PM posted to alt.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats
Baldoni[_8_]

Cat Guy formulated on Saturday :
We recently gave one of our cats a deworming pill (milbemax) and later
found a worm (sorta looked like a tan-colored rubber band) in a pile
of vomit.

I thought that tape worms reside or attach to the intestinal wall (and
not the stomach wall) and therefore when the worm leaves the cat it's
by way of the stool.

So is it normal, or unusual, for the worm to be vomited out?

I had a feral cat given me by mistake a few years ago. He did exactly
the same thing.

This cat had an appetite like a horse and would eat anything put in
front of him. I had to stop a neighbor from feeding him as he was
eating curry, chicken supreme and all manner of things humans eat. He
made a hell of a noise when he wanted food in the morning.

--
Count Baldoni

Old April 13th 08, 06:30 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda[_3_]

Cat Guy wrote:

So I placed a milbemax pill (un-crushed) in with his food and within
12 hours he vomitted up some food and the worm. It was definately a
worm and not a rubber band.

And the very next night (last night) he started crying. Hopefully his
quiteness and wildness was being caused by GI discomfort that has now
passed and perhaps he might just start being more friendly. We
were/are considering letting him go in a week or two because we
considered him unadoptable.

I'm wondering if I should give him another milbemax in a week just to
make sure we've gotten rid of all the worms.

Comments? Questions?

If the worm was longish and thin, it sounds like a roundworm. From what
I've read on websites, a roundworm infestation can get so bad that the
worms are also in the stomach.

We trapped some kittens with roundworms and wormed them -- theirs did
come out the other end. They looked like spaghetti that was a few inches
long.

As far as deciding when to reworm or your cat's symptoms, I would really
urge you to talk to a vet. Since your cat is also in some distress, I
would want a professional medical opinion as soon as possible.

Good luck, and I hope he gets to stay inside so he doesn't end up in
this state again!

Take care,

Rhonda

Old April 13th 08, 06:40 PM posted to alt.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats
Cat Guy

Is there a reason why you're removing some of the groups I'm
cross-posting to?

AMUN wrote:

It's also very possible the cat never ate the pill, but spit it
out somewhere else.

I was watching him eat via a closed-circuit web-cam that I set up in
his room, and when he was done I had a closer look and found no
remnants of the pill on the dish or anywhere nearby.

As usually the pills simply dissolve the worms so you won't ever
even see part of them in the stools.

I thought that the pills kill the worm or impair it's ability to
continue to clamp onto the GI tract, and hence free it up and allow it
to either exit with the stool, or in this case to be vomited up.

Only sure way is to grab the cat and shove the pill in it's mouth,
then hold it's mouth closed until it swallows it

Like I said, I was watching it eat, it did not spit anything out while
eating, and there was no pill remnants to be found.

As you say the beast got dewormed when you first got it, it's
strange the worms re-appeared when the cat was kept indoors.
As tapeworms are almost exclusively caused by eating infected
fleas.

Yes. I told the vet to give him a worm pill while he was recovering
from being neutered, and Drontil is listed on his health card, and so
is a Revolution treatment.

Again it may have really been badly infested, but even the worst
I ever heard of got knocked out after a second dose of tapeworm
pills. Clean up, as it sounds like you may have inherited at
least a small flea infestation with the cat, and they may be
re-infecting it.

After he vomited the worm, we cleaned the room (laundered the canvas
floor covering, wiped down all surfaces, etc) and put him back in the
room. I'll have to give it a few days to see if he's approchable
enough to give him another Revolution treatment (assuming the vet did
infact give him an initial treatment 11 weeks ago).
Old April 13th 08, 07:03 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cat Guy

Rhonda wrote:

If the worm was longish and thin, it sounds like a roundworm.

The worm looked like this:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images14...rmImg_1395.jpg

but I didn't think it was as white in color as in that picture. It
was mostly flat, and segmented, and tapered at one end.

Roundworms (if I'm not mistaken) are round (not flat) and smooth.

I've read on websites, a roundworm infestation can get so bad
that the worms are also in the stomach.

Well, I think this was a tapeworm. Do roundworms shed
rice-grain-sized segments out the annus? Remember, I did see 4 or 5
such dried segments in his bedding.
Old April 13th 08, 07:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"Cat Guy" wrote in message ...
Is there a reason why you're removing some of the groups I'm
cross-posting to?

Yes, it's considered bad to crosspost like that. Normally a spammer action.
Granted you were looking for a 'wider audience' but many spam filters will
delete your messages unseen if there is more than one group in there.

Old April 13th 08, 07:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats,alt.cats
Cat Guy

cshenk wrote:

"Cat Guy" wrote:
Is there a reason why you're removing some of the groups I'm
cross-posting to?

Yes, it's considered bad to crosspost like that.

Wrong.

I've been posting to usenet since 1988.

I know what usenet is, and how it should be used.

It IS NOT "bad" to crosspost when the groups being posted to have
something in common with the subject matter being discussed.

It's even more correct to crosspost when the groups in question
discuss essentially THE SAME subject matter.

There is no difference in the content, charter or subject material of
these groups:

alt.pets.cats
alt.cats
rec.pets.cats.health+behav

But the fact that some people may read rec.pets.cats.health+behav but
not alt.pets.cats means that if I want my post to reach a wide
audience, I have no choice but to cross-post the those groups BECAUSE
THEY EXIST. There are other cat-related usenet groups, but I did not
cross-post to those because they have relatively low traffic.

Cross-posting is bad only when the content of a post does not pertain
to what is normally discussed in the group being cross-posted to.

For example, you could correctly criticize me if I cross-posted my
original message to:

rec.pets.cats.health+behav
alt.home.repair
comp.sys.intel

But that is not what I did.

Usenet today has thousands of newsgroups. It was anticipated that
some discussions could span the interests of several groups
simultaneously, hence the cross-posting mechanism was an early and
itegral part of the usenet messaging system. And cross-posting is
efficient. It allows a thread to grow and allows everyone who reads
it to participate so long as the cross-posting is maintained.

The issue in this case is not that I cross-posted a message regarding
cat health and behavior to 3 different cat-centric newsgroups.

The issue is - why are there 3 different (and active) cat-centric
newsgroups?

Granted you were looking for a 'wider audience' but many spam
filters will delete your messages unseen if there is more than
one group in there.

Only those that are ignorant in how usenet works would deploy such a
rule in their news-reading agent - especially if they set the limit to
1. A rejection based on a cross-post to more than 5 groups is more
realistic and understandible. But not 1.

A more efficient way to deal with off-topic or junk posts (which tend
to be crazily cross-posted) is to simply kill-file the posters who
exhibit that behavior.
Old April 13th 08, 08:25 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda[_3_]

Cat Guy wrote:
Rhonda wrote:

If the worm was longish and thin, it sounds like a roundworm.

The worm looked like this:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images14...rmImg_1395.jpg

but I didn't think it was as white in color as in that picture. It
was mostly flat, and segmented, and tapered at one end.

Roundworms (if I'm not mistaken) are round (not flat) and smooth.

The roundworms our kittens had were sort of a brownish, and long and
skinny. I really didn't get close enough to look for segments! Looking
at your picture though, it didn't look bumpy like that.

I've read on websites, a roundworm infestation can get so bad
that the worms are also in the stomach.

Well, I think this was a tapeworm. Do roundworms shed
rice-grain-sized segments out the annus? Remember, I did see 4 or 5
such dried segments in his bedding.

Here's something I just found on a website:

--------
What are the clinical signs?

Tapeworms are not particularly harmful to the cat and few clinical signs
are attributed to their presence. Usually, the cat is presented because
of the guardian’s reaction to the presence of the crawling proglottids.
Rarely, tapeworms may cause debilitation or weight loss if they are
present in large numbers. Also, a cat will occasionally scoot or drag
his anus across the ground or carpet due to the anal irritation caused
by the proglottids. This behavior is much more common in dogs than cats.

Occasionally, a tapeworm will release its attachment in the intestines
and migrate to the stomach. When this happens, the cat may vomit an
adult tapeworm several inches in length.

Full site: http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/tapeworms.html
-------

If it is a tapeworm, and it does sound more like that, there's a
reminder in the site to treat the environment for fleas since that's how
the whole cycle starts.

I really hope you'll talk this all over with a vet and get a
professional opinion. I'm concerned since your cat was in discomfort.

Rhonda

Old April 13th 08, 08:57 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

"Cat Guy" wrote in message ...
Rhonda wrote:

If the worm was longish and thin, it sounds like a roundworm.

The worm looked like this:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images14...rmImg_1395.jpg

but I didn't think it was as white in color as in that picture. It
was mostly flat, and segmented, and tapered at one end.

Roundworms (if I'm not mistaken) are round (not flat) and smooth.

I've read on websites, a roundworm infestation can get so bad
that the worms are also in the stomach.

Well, I think this was a tapeworm. Do roundworms shed
rice-grain-sized segments out the annus? Remember, I did see 4 or 5
such dried segments in his bedding.

Many years ago a cat of mine barfed up a tapeworm. Only happened once and
she needed to be treated for them after that so I guess it's not a common
occurrence but not unheard of.

IIRC a follow up dose of drontal should be given I think a month after the
first but I'm not sure on the timing.