Getting desparate, on their escapes

Old October 3rd 05, 03:55 AM

Default Getting desparate, on their escapes

we have tried everthing to keep them away from the door, it's must, we
live in an apartment complex and its grounds for evication if you pet
is found outside

so far we've; used a squirt gun, coffee can w/rocks, throwing thing at
them (soft things), yelling, banging books on table

we are desparate

please suggestions really needed

lynn

Old October 3rd 05, 04:16 AM
MaryL

wrote in message
oups.com...
we have tried everthing to keep them away from the door, it's must, we
live in an apartment complex and its grounds for evication if you pet
is found outside

so far we've; used a squirt gun, coffee can w/rocks, throwing thing at
them (soft things), yelling, banging books on table

we are desparate

please suggestions really needed

lynn

None of the things you mentioned will work. Your cat may simply develop a
negative reaction to you and will not associate it with the door at all. My
first cat (years ago) also wanted out, and it seemed at times that he was an
escape artist as good as Houdini. My solution was to carefully back out the
door, bend down as I did and carefully (and gently!) cup my cat's head in my
hand so he could not get out the door. When I entered, I did the reverse.
That worked well, and after a few months he no longer showed an interest in
"the great (but dangerous) outdoors." You do need to be consistent and very
observant.

MaryL

Old October 3rd 05, 11:12 AM
It's Me

You might also have to create a barricade between the cat & the door.
If necessary (to avoid possible evicition if you are caught with your
pet outside), you might have to lock your pet(s) in one room or install
a wall to wall screen so that the cat has no access to the door when
you go out.