Help - cat keeps licking her back

Old September 20th 05, 08:56 PM
grasshopper grasshopper is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cats
[/i][/color]

How long have they lived together? Has Willow always been aggressive? I
really can't understand a vet suggesting that an animal be put down without
looking for the cause of the aggression. I'd be looking for another vet at
this point.
Willow and Lilly have been together since kittens. Willow has never been a loving cat and over time she has developed into a mean cat. Her behavior is unacceptable . The reason why the vet has suggested to put Willow down is due to the danger she poses. She will attack humans, and when she's angry she goes for blood. Last time we had the vet look willow over he had to handle her and she disliked this. She tried to bite his face, and he had to restrain her with 2 hands around her neck. At home we know better, then to pick her up, or stop her from doing something...she will attack if we do. The only person that can pick up Willow is my 9 year old. Willow and her are great friends, yet I hate when she picks Willow up it's turns my stomach. Willow has turned on my daughter once about a year ago. She was trying to hug willow and she bite her on the cheek, not hard but enough to make a mark. I almost put her down right there but then I took into account a little girl and envisioned the Loony Toons girl squeezing the cat. She never bit her again but my daughter knows much better. We came up with a plan and that was to try medication and hopefully with medication she will come around and not be so aggressive. At this point she is still miserable yet drugged out. It's affecting our family and our other cat. We now have to take the next step and remove her from our household. Our vet feels putting her down is the best choice becasue she will not be adotptable due to her agressive nature. She is a risk. We have looked into a no kill shelter and although money is an issue, I feel I can't abandon an animal, I have a responsibility to Willow and I'd pay the $225.00 to keep her alive if she has a chance to get better. I have a good feeling she will not get better and will always be agressive therfore keeoping her in a cage for the rest of her life will be a worse end. I sorry to say but I agree with my Vet. We have made a decision to remove her from our household just not exactly what to do.
Old September 21st 05, 03:05 AM
5cats

grasshopper wrote:

5cats Wrote:

[...]

be a worse end. I sorry to say but I agree with my Vet. We have made[/i][/color]
decision to remove her from our household just not exactly what to do.

Cats don't become aggressive without a cause. Maybe we don't have the
resources to figure it out, but it's there. Could be physical, it could
be something in the environment that's stressing her out and making her
fearful and aggressive. It's a long shot, but maybe you could find
someone willing to give her a chance in a quiet, only cat environment if
you agreed to take her back if things didn't work out?

There are no-kill shelters around here that have people who are
experienced with working with difficult animals, of course they also
have limited time & resources and can't always help everyone.

Old September 21st 05, 02:43 PM
grasshopper grasshopper is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cats
decision to remove her from our household just not exactly what to do.

Cats don't become aggressive without a cause. Maybe we don't have the
resources to figure it out, but it's there. Could be physical, it could
be something in the environment that's stressing her out and making her
fearful and aggressive. It's a long shot, but maybe you could find
someone willing to give her a chance in a quiet, only cat environment if
you agreed to take her back if things didn't work out?

There are no-kill shelters around here that have people who are
experienced with working with difficult animals, of course they also
have limited time & resources and can't always help everyone.
As I said in the beginning Willow has never been loving yet she wasn't aggressive. This is what I feel caused the aggressive nature.

Approx. 2 years ago my wife and I moved out of our town home into a cape cod. Our town home was not your typical town house. Typically town homes are grouped together and there are hundreds, well a private builder made our TH and it was on a lot with 3 other TH's, so imagine Four 2 story TH’s in a line on a wooded lot. The back was to a farm and the front was all wooded. Willow was an indoor cat 100%. When we moved into our cape cod, we moved onto a 1/2 acre in a neighborhood. Almost every family on our block has a cat or two that is an outdoors cat. These cats poop, pee, in our yard and taunt our cats through the window and have even tried to fight our cats through the screen. In our town home, they never saw another cat just birds and lilly and willow. Now there's cats all over. I think this change has prompted Willow to become aggressive and has even turned willow against her sister. We have made Willow a 75% outdoors cat, if she's in the house she's miserable, fights with lilly,...etc She gets into a lot of fights outside, at least 1 a week and when she fights she gets so upset she will pee herself or even poop during the fight. When she fights there's no consoling her, we have to put her in a room by herself to calm her down and close the door or she will hurt lilly or one of us. If we try to approach her or pick her up she will growl, hissing and attack. Although we didn't do anything to her she makes us the enemy. After 20 minutes in the room we can let her out and she is not a danger, but if she passes Lilly she hisses or growls at her and wants nothing to do with us. We just leave her alone. She basically uses us to to eat on a daily basis.

That’s what I believe is the cause, your thoughts....thanks for your help as well. It was a very difficult night for us last night. We told our 9 year old we were going to give Willow up for adoption. SHe cried for almost an hour straight....unconsolable. WE tried to tell her it was in the best instreast for WIllow but she's 9 she doesn't understand. She's afraid the next owner will hurt her and put her down becasue she's difficult. I think if we can find a owner who is single with no other animals willow will be happy and won't be aggresive. We called a program called Animal Welfare in NJ. They are a no kill shelter and luckily taking cats, although there's a fee of $75-$250 to have her cared for.

Last edited by grasshopper : September 21st 05 at 02:47 PM.
Old September 21st 05, 07:59 PM
papagano papagano is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper
[...]

I hope you don't mind me jumping in as I just found this board and am
still checking it out. I don't think you should get rid of your aggressive kitty. It teaches you daughter that cats are disposable, plus you cat is being bullied and upset by outside cats which is not her fault!!! You should keep her inside and get the cats out of your yard and her line of vision. There are ways to cat proof your fence to keep animals out. You can try meds. My cat has always been fine with other cats in the past, but when I adopted a companion for him he locked on the new kitty like a heat seeking missile and no amount of separation or anything else was working. I'm not going to get rid of the other cat, so the vet said try Clomicalm which he said is good for mad, upset kitties. He is a 12 pound cat and gets 1/4 of a 20 mg pill once a day. In about two weeks it built up and wokred like a charm. He doesn't attack the other cat any more and he doesn't act drugged up either, although I think he sleeps a bit more. He's his same old charming self and I have peace in my house again. The vet says to keep him on it for awhile so he gets use to being around the other cat and not fighting and then I'm supposed to start reducing his dose over a few weeks time to see if I can take him off completely. You should try this first because of your little girl and because your kitty is really upset because of things that aren't her fault and you could change. You said she use to be a nice kitty.
Old September 21st 05, 11:01 PM

grasshopper wrote:
PLEASE TELL ME WHAT SHE TAKES TO HELP THE LICKING. I just posted up
that my cat is licking her stomach and she won't stop. We've had the
cone on for 3 months and I wish we could figure out why. We've taken
her to the doctor a few times and they don't know why. PLEASE HELP I
DON"T CARE ABOUT THE COST OF THE PILLS I JUST WANT MY LILLY TO BE OK!

Oh my gosh, these are classic symptoms of parasites like giardia or
cryptosporidium. CLASSIC. And they will trun a cat mean. Please find a
good vet or just tell the dumbass vet to test for parasites. If the
idiot says it's not necessary because the cat is indoors, inform him
that these parasites can come from even a municipal chlorinated water
supply.

This is just awful to read about your cat, her aggression, thinking of
putting her down because of typical incompetence by vets who, many, are
regarded as competent.

PARASITES, okay? Easy easy easy to cure.

Whew.

Old September 22nd 05, 12:27 AM

grasshopper wrote:

As I said in the beginning Willow has
never been loving yet she wasn't
aggressive. This is what I feel caused
the aggressive nature.

If there is a cause, there is a cure. You have to take responsibility
for the situation and do the right thing here, which is not to dump this
cat at a shelter and break the heart of your daughter for no good
reason.

[...]

You are absolutely, 100% correct and, instaed of taking responsibility,
here you are willing to abandon your cat and hurt your daughter for
something that the cat can't help. Don't you see the cruelty in this
decision?

We have made Willow a 75%
outdoors cat, if she's in the house
she's miserable, fights with
lilly,...etc

Which is likely caused by stress from the cats outside taunting her.
Look up "redirected aggression". Your situation is a classic example.

She gets into a lot of
fights outside, at least 1 a week and
when she fights she gets so upset she
will pee herself or even poop during the
fight.

Then you shouldn't allow her outside unless she's supervised and no
other cats are around. It's clearly stressing her out and putting her in
harm's way, not to mention CAUSING the aggression.

When she fights there's no
consoling her, we have to put her in a
room by herself to calm her down and
close the door or she will hurt lilly or
one of us. If we try to approach her or
pick her up she will growl, hissing and
attack. Although we didn't do anything
to her she makes us the enemy. After 20
minutes in the room we can let her out
and she is not a danger, but if she
passes Lilly she hisses or growls at her
and wants nothing to do with us. We just
leave her alone.

I don't blame her. Being constantly attacked and having to fight
outside, and being met with dislike and derision inside certainly
doesn't promote a happy home for her now does it?

She basically uses us
to to eat on a daily basis.

She's not using you. You are neglecting her needs and aren't looking out
for her welfare and she is miserable as a result. She still has to eat,
though.

That's what I believe is the cause, your
thoughts....thanks for your help as
well. It was a very difficult night for
us last night. We told our 9 year old we
were going to give Willow up for
adoption. SHe cried for almost an hour
straight....unconsolable. WE tried to
tell her it was in the best instreast
for WIllow but she's 9 she doesn't
understand. She's afraid the next owner
will hurt her and put her down becasue
she's difficult. =A0

Out of the mouths of babes. She's probably right, and you are cruel to
do this to your daughter and Willow when taking some simple steps would
fix the problem.

I think if we can
find a owner who is single with no other
animals willow will be happy and won't
be aggresive. We called a program called
Animal Welfare in NJ. They are a no kill
shelter and luckily taking cats,
although there's a fee of $75-$250 to
have her cared for.

They have enough problems and cats to care for without having to take on
another because you find her inconvenient.

Reading your post makes me very angry because your cat is suffering at
your hands and because of your ignorance, and now you are going to
torture your daughter over this because you view this cat as disposable.

It does not have to be this way.

Block off access to or cover windows where outside cats can be seen.

Cat proof your yard so the outside cats can't taunt yours. If you don't
have a fence, get one. If you do fix it so nothing can get out or in.

Get Feliway diffusers and plug them in in the main areas where Willow
spends time.

Do not let her outside unless she's on a harness and leash with you or
anothet family member at the other end supervising.

Make any association with the other cat positive. Never yell or get
angry if she hisses or growls. Always have kind words for her and be
gentle anytime she is near the other cat so she starts to associate her
housemate with *good* things. Treats help as does feeding them close to
each other.

Consider using medication to calm Willow's aggression and use that time
to implement behavior modification using only positive means so her
relationship with the other cat becomes more at ease. Two that are
commonly used are Prozac (fluoxetine) and Clomipramine (Clomicalm).
Since she is so freaked out and stressed from the neglect she's
suffered, and based on my experience (I am not a vet) I would start at
the higher recommended dose (Fluoxetine -.5 mg per pound, Clomipramine-
5 mg per pound) and decrease after her attitude has been improved and
consistent for a minimum of several (4-6) months.

While I do believe that the situation that brought Willow to the point
she is at now is a result of mostly ignorance on your part rather than
being intentional, the bottom line here is that *you* created this
problem and it's not the fault of the cat. Instead of forcing your
daughter and her beloved Willow to suffer, you should do everything you
have to to correct the situation. It would be the right thing to do and
would teach your daughter a valuable lesson about taking responsibility,
even when it's hard.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old September 22nd 05, 03:56 PM
grasshopper grasshopper is offline
Junior Member

Let me first say thank you to everyone who has responded either positively or negatively..your opinion whether based on facts or not is valid.

I will first respond to Megan then the other posts:

"If there is a cause there is a cure"

That’s absolutely incorrect. I'm medical doctor and although I'm a young man and have much room for knowledge I do know a little about how body's work.

There's not a cure for every cause..or let me restate that there are answers to causes but not always cures both Psychologically and physiologically. Obviously a virus has no cures, yet not so noticeable are brain conditions. A brain can reach a point of damage where there's no return.

You are absolutely, 100% correct and, instaed of taking responsibility,
here you are willing to abandon your cat and hurt your daughter for
something that the cat can't help. Don't you see the cruelty in this
decision?

You have not read my entire post because if you did you would have realized that I stated "I have a responsibility to this animal and I can't just thow it away," that's not what I want to teach my daughter. Your statement is biased and not based on facts. We are doing the best we can with the situation at hand. I will NOT sacrifice my family’s welfare for this animal. This is an animal, not a human. Willow is dangerous.

Then you shouldn't allow her outside unless she's supervised and no
other cats are around. It's clearly stressing her out and putting her in
harm's way, not to mention CAUSING the aggression.

We have to let Willow outside or she will attack Lilly or one of us. Letting a Willow outside 75% of the time is ok...yet as I said she will get into fights. She starts them too. Recently I've seen cats I have never seen before...there coming from all over..it's the Ultimate fighting championship in my back yard. The only way to stop this is to remove her form the house.

I don't blame her. Being constantly attacked and having to fight
outside, and being met with dislike and derision inside certainly
doesn't promote a happy home for her now does it?

We do not meet her with dislike..she doesn't want anything to do with us..you can't give a cat attention if it doesn't want it. Willow has made her bed, and this is what she prefers. She can be nice, but she chooses not to be.

She's not using you. You are neglecting her needs and aren't looking out
for her welfare and she is miserable as a result. She still has to eat,
though.

Out of the mouths of babes. She's probably right, and you are cruel to
do this to your daughter and Willow when taking some simple steps would
fix the problem.

1) WE are looking out for Willow's best interest, your just so caught up in your own BS you CAN'T SEE IT. Willow is not happy..we have tried medicine, letting her do what ever she wants...but she has not turned around. The best solution is to remove her form the situation so she can be happy. you also forget Willow is a danger and I can not have a dangerous animal in our house. I not throwing her away or showing my daughter this...what I'm teaching my daughter and showing her is that my daughter means much more then this animal and my families welfare is important..even if it takes removing a loved animal.

They have enough problems and cats to care for without having to take on
another because you find her inconvenient.

Reading your post makes me very angry because your cat is suffering at
your hands and because of your ignorance, and now you are going to
torture your daughter over this because you view this cat as disposable.

It does not have to be this way.
...blah ...blah ...blah

While I do believe that the situation that brought Willow to the point
she is at now is a result of mostly ignorance on your part rather than
being intentional, the bottom line here is that *you* created this
problem and it's not the fault of the cat. Instead of forcing your
daughter and her beloved Willow to suffer, you should do everything you
have to to correct the situation. It would be the right thing to do and
would teach your daughter a valuable lesson about taking responsibility,
even when it's hard.

You forget we have another cat that is suffering because of willow. How is spending hundreds of dollars on medicines, blood tests, vet appointments neglecting her. I will not let this animal rule our life and turn our house upside down so she won't see another cat outside. Theres a point that we draw the line, and we have drawn it. You also forget this animal is a danger and all it takes is willow biting a child and we are sued for everything we have. THAT IS NOT IN MY CHILDS BEST INTEREST OR MY FAMILIES. So a little crying on my daughter’s part can put her through college and offer much more later down the line. It's absolutely sad that you would protect an animal over a child...your priorities or out of wack and teaching my daughter responsibility is making the right decisions even if it hurts, not making the wrong decision so she feels better. I hope to god you don’t have children. You stated I started and created this problem and again your insane and an idiot!!!....I'm going to do what's best for my family and if moving into a nice neighborhood which offers my child a wonderful neighborhood to play in that safe, as well as provide my wife with a home she's happy with....and if my cat doesn't like who give a F**K. It's an animal and my life isn't ruled by this animal. If she doesn't like it..thanks Willow and GOODBYE! Medicine...we have tried Elivil and she can't take a lot of medicine due to her liver and kidneys.

Whew..not to move on to the next post

Oh my gosh, these are classic symptoms of parasites like giardia or
cryptosporidium. CLASSIC. And they will turn a cat mean. Please find a
good vet or just tell the dumba** vet to test for parasites. If the
idiot says it's not necessary because the cat is indoors, inform him
that these parasites can come from even a municipal chlorinated water
supply.

This is just awful to read about your cat, her aggression, thinking of
putting her down because of typical incompetence by vets who, many, are
regarded as competent.

PARASITES, okay? Easy easy easy to cure.

Whew.

It's very interesting you stated this..becasue our other cat..has licked her stomach clear of hair due to a behavior response of Willow. We thought at first Lilly's licking was an allergy or giardia but almost ruled that out completely when she did not respond to the steroidal treatment. AS far as willow is concerned and having a parasite...I find it unlikely due to her symptoms..there are none. Symptoms of giardia or other parasites are a swollen lip/mouth, skin irritations ...etc...she is 100% healthy besides her behavior.

[...]

Thanks for your response but I've answered most of it previously. Right now Willow is on Elivil and she's somewhat responded...but I believe that's because she's drugged out... I hate to see her like that so I cut back her medicine. Elivil for those that don't know is an anti-depressant that was used in humans decades ago. It was a very popular drug yet discontinued because of it wasn't effective. Animals on the other hand have a better reaction. Elivil is also used in humans for neurological conditions today.

Old September 22nd 05, 07:48 PM

Someone wrote this, maybe grasshopper, maybe his zen cricket:

It's very interesting you stated this..becasue our other cat..has
licked her stomach clear of hair due to a behavior response of Willow.
We thought at first Lilly's licking was an allergy or giardia but almost
ruled that out completely when she did not respond to the steroidal
treatment. AS far as willow is concerned and having a parasite...I
find it unlikely due to her symptoms..there are none. Symptoms of
giardia or other parasites are a swollen lip/mouth, skin irritations
...etc...she is 100% healthy besides her behavior.

You must be a troll. Even if you are quack, most quacks are not so
incompetent to give steroids when antiobiotics will cure the parasites.

You're not really a doctor but some teenaged kid I gather.

All you people out there. ANTIBIOTICS for parasites. Tell your vets.
It's okay I emailed the original poster.

By the way, d00d, antibiotics steroids. Okay?

Are you really a doctor who gave steroids for parasites? What type of
doctor are you? A homeopath? Even MD's are not this bad and they are
bad.

Old September 22nd 05, 08:34 PM
5cats

grasshopper wrote:

Willow has
made her bed, and this is what she prefers. She can be nice, but she
chooses not to be.

Cats do not have the same brain capacity that people have to choose how
they behave. They can only resond to their environment in the way they are
geneticaly programmed to respond.
Old September 23rd 05, 12:13 AM

5cats wrote:

Cats do not have the same brain capacity that people have to choose how
they behave. They can only resond to their environment in the way they are
geneticaly programmed to respond.

Yes, I have read that their frontal lobes are not quite as developed as
ours, well, maybe yours, I'm not so sure about mine

Generally their neurophysiology is remarkably similar to we non-furry
bipeds. That can be very dangerous for them as possible lab rats. For
the record, they vibrate usually around 14 Hz, and we humans are a bit
lower. Hence they are running on a faster circuit!!!

Of course, between a smart cat and a rather challeneged obsessing
compulsive, it's difficult to say who has the better meow.