Removing Tiger's mats

Old April 11th 10, 11:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

Default Removing Tiger's mats

During the winter Tiger developed a number of bad mats (he is long
haired). Combing and brushing didn't work. Yesterday I got out my old
electric hair trimmer and plugged it in near my usual seat. Tiger
frequently zonks out next to me so I figured I could surprise him while
sleeping. To my surprise he didn't object and I was able to remove most
of the mats. This will make a vet trip unnecessary.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old April 11th 10, 11:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
During the winter Tiger developed a number of bad mats (he is long
haired). Combing and brushing didn't work. Yesterday I got out my old
electric hair trimmer and plugged it in near my usual seat. Tiger
frequently zonks out next to me so I figured I could surprise him while
sleeping. To my surprise he didn't object and I was able to remove most
of the mats. This will make a vet trip unnecessary.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Lucky you! Pickles freaks out if I pick up a pair of scissors to attack her
mats. She'd probably be clinging to the ceiling, or tearing madly around
the house if I turned on electric clippers.

Joy

Old April 12th 10, 12:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

the furminator works great for MH, his matts were so bad they actually bound
DH's beard trimmers, so that didn't work, i ended up cutting with sizzors
and working with my fingers, then when he was almost bald, we found the
furminator, Lee

Old April 12th 10, 12:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

That looks like a good thing, but I don't think it would work with Pickles.
I have a single-bladed version called a Fur Buster, and she won't let me use
it for more than about 5 seconds. The same is true of a brush.

--

Joy

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of
masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch. - Leo Dworken

Old April 12th 10, 01:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

something else i did because his hair is so very fine... i use a finger nail
brush on his legs and under his chin, its the kind shaped like a hair brush,
soft bristles but stiff enough to keep the fur from matting, since yours
hates anything brushing wise, could you get one of the nail brushes that you
hook your fingers in, then put it in the palm of your hand with the bars
around your hand, getting a few brushes by stealth before she figures out
its not your hand. Lee

Old April 12th 10, 01:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Apr 11, 6:53*pm, "Joy" wrote:
That looks like a good thing, but I don't think it would work with Pickles.
I have a single-bladed version called a Fur Buster, and she won't let me use
it for more than about 5 seconds. *The same is true of a brush.

--

Joy

I didn't find the Furminator that useful for existing mats. It pulls
too much,if the mat
is of any size. But it's *great* for preventing mats, and getting the
little tangles
out before they become mats. Frank absolutely loves the Furminator.
Bosley
likes it too; but he's short haired and there's not much there to
Furminate. Frank
likes it so much he starts drooling and purring when he just sees
mewith it.

Sherry
Old April 12th 10, 01:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

I have one of those which I never use, so I could try that. It might well
work on her back, but I'm not so sure about the stomach. Unfortunately,
that's where the mats are, and often I can't get to it with anything. I'll
also try the seam ripper, which somebody else mentioned. It's small enough
that I can conceal it in my hand so she doesn't see it. She might let me
get in a few strokes with it before she catches on.

One problem with Pickles is that she's by far the skitteriest cat I've ever
had, and I had one that was named Skeeter (not by me) because she was so
skittery. I can almost never even pet her if she's lying anywhere except on
my lap, and she tolerates only certain things on my lap. Also, she doesn't
get on my lap nearly as often as I'd like, partly because Waffles often
won't allow her up there, and sometimes he's hogging the lap himself.
Because she sits there so seldom, I hate to do something that will drive her
away.

I will try those suggestions, though.

Joy

Old April 12th 10, 01:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Sherry" wrote in message
On Apr 11, 6:53 pm, "Joy" wrote:
[...]

***

I can sometimes get away with using the Fur Buster on Waffles, and it helps
keep some hair from getting all over everything, but Pickles doesn't like
it. I don't know why. You'd think it would feel good on the area where
there isn't any mats. I keep telling her it does, but she doesn't believe
me.
;-)

Joy

Old April 12th 10, 02:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Sherry" wrote in message
On Apr 11, 6:53 pm, "Joy" wrote:
[...]

Molly is like that. She just adores the furminator. She would be
bald if I used it as much as she'd like.

We got it for Kayla, in hopes of leaving at least some of her shed
fur outside. And its great for that, but Molly butts in and wants
it for herself.

Jo

Old April 12th 10, 05:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mischief[_2_]

On Apr 11, 3:59*pm, "Joy" wrote:
"---MIKE---" wrote in message

During the winter Tiger developed a number of bad mats (he is long
haired). *Combing and brushing didn't work. *Yesterday I got out my old
electric hair trimmer and plugged it in near my usual seat. *Tiger
frequently zonks out next to me so I figured I could surprise him while
sleeping. *To my surprise he didn't object and I was able to remove most
of the mats. *This will make a vet trip unnecessary.

* * * * * * * * * ---MIKE---In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

* (44° 15' *N - Elevation 1580')

Lucky you! *Pickles freaks out if I pick up a pair of scissors to attack her
mats. *She'd probably be clinging to the ceiling, or tearing madly around
the house if I turned on electric clippers.

Joy

One technique I would use as a vet tech, would be to hold the clippers
close and just TURN IT ON, so in case the animal freaks, i'm not
already cutting. This is especially useful, it you're clipping around
a wound or a sensitive area.

And in my 6 years I saw three cases of pets that needed laceration
repair when their owner tried to use scissors. I only use scissors
when the pet IS freaked out from the clippers, but i grab the mat and
with two fingers as CLOSE to the skin as possible and then cut the
side away from the skin. Better to cut myself than the pet.

Kristi