feed Nutro?

Old November 14th 03, 03:27 AM
GAUBSTER2

Kelly, a couple of things....what is the kcal of Nutro "lite"? Does it say
anywhere on the bag? A true LIGHT cat food should have less than 3,250

kcal
in order to be called a LIGHT food.

3,250kcal per .... ?

3250 kcal per kilo of food fed.

As for dental health, the only foods that will really positively impact
dental health are foods that carry the VOHC seal.

Not quite. Foods that carry the VOHC seal have been shown to have a
positive impact on dental health. Foods that do not carry this seal
could be useful for dental health, but they have not submitted to the
VOHC protocols. An example of this is the Iams Dental Diet products
(all Iams dry foods AFAIK). These foods claim a reduction in the rate
of tartar buildup of up to 40%.

Studies comparing Eukanuba (an IAMS product) to Dog Chow for tartar reduction
saw Dog Chow beat Eukanuba!! I don't remember the %s. So, Eukanuba is LESS
efficaious for dental health than Dog Chow is. I highly doubt that any of the
IAMS products will pass the stringent critieria that comes w/ VOHC testing, but
we'll have to see. Perhaps Steve Crane knows more about this?

Another VOHC approved food is the Friskies Dental Diet.

Yes, that is correct but I think the Friskies products are all very high in
salt and phosphorus.

It also seems
that Iams dry would fit the bill for dental health stuff, even though
it has not yet passed VOHC protocols.

Well, until it does, it really can't be recommended for "dental health", now
can it?

Old November 14th 03, 02:13 PM
KellyH

"GAUBSTER2" wrote in message

Kelly, a couple of things....what is the kcal of Nutro "lite"? Does it

say
anywhere on the bag? A true LIGHT cat food should have less than 3,250

kcal
in order to be called a LIGHT food.

3,250kcal per .... ?

3250 kcal per kilo of food fed.

I looked all over the bag and can't find any kcal info. I have to correct
myself. It's not "lite" it's "Weight Management", which claims to be "30%
less fat than our regular formula".
Here's the nutritional info from Nutro's website:
http://www.nutroproducts.com/nccatweight.asp

I was mixing in the Science Diet Oral Care, but then someone told me I was
counter-acting the weight management qualities of the Nutro, although the
ratio of the mix was like 1:4.
--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old November 14th 03, 04:38 PM
GAUBSTER2

I looked all over the bag and can't find any kcal info. I have to correct
myself. It's not "lite" it's "Weight Management", which claims to be "30%
less fat than our regular formula".

I was mixing in the Science Diet Oral Care, but then someone told me I was
counter-acting the weight management qualities of the Nutro, although the
ratio of the mix was like 1:4.

It may very well contain "30% less fat than the regular formula", but that
still doesn't neccessarily make it a "light" food. I would wager that the
Nutro doesn't have much in the way of "weight management qualities". Has your
cat lost any weight? Foods that don't meet the "light" requirements usually
call themselves something different that *implies* weight loss. If your cat
doesn't seem to be achieving any meaningful weight loss, then try Science Diet
Light or you could always go w/ a Prescription Diet weight loss food.

Old November 14th 03, 05:01 PM
Yngver

"KellyH" wrote:

I was mixing in the Science Diet Oral Care, but then someone told me I was
counter-acting the weight management qualities of the Nutro, although the
ratio of the mix was like 1:4.

I believe that although it's not labeled as such, the SD Oral Care does help
with weight management. At least it has helped one of our cats who was formerly
pudgy. Although there are a number of other reasons for her weight loss (she
weighed 14 lbs. in Feb. and is now down to 12 lbs 9 oz) she has been eating the
Oral Care during this time.