PLEASE END THE "POLL" THREAD

Old February 11th 05, 06:58 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-02-11, ---MIKE--- penned:
With webtv there is no way to killfile a thread. I have to scroll through
hundreds of posts and the "Poll" thread keeps coming to the top. Why not
just start a new thread with a different subject to continue the discussion?
Is this too much to ask?

Sounds like a good time to complain to the makers of webtv. This is a serious
problem, but it's not fair to make *everyone* change their habits just to
accomodate one broken application.

In contrast, if people changed the subjects in follow-ups to the thread,
*everyone* who kill-filed the subject, which is the accepted way to address
threads you don't want to read, would be inconvenienced by having to re-kill
all of the followups.

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old February 11th 05, 07:48 PM
---MIKE---

Monique, Webtv is part of Microsoft. Do you think an email to Bill
Gates would correct the problem? It's impossible to get them to change
anything. I use webtv because I don't need or want a computer. I may
have to leave this group if I have to continue to scroll through over
300 posts to get to something new.

---MIKE---

Old February 11th 05, 08:18 PM
Karen

Mike, can you use the www.catKB.com everyone is using? I peaked over there
and it's a fairly smooth set up. Better than google.

Old February 11th 05, 09:24 PM
KellyH

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
Monique, Webtv is part of Microsoft. Do you think an email to Bill
Gates would correct the problem? It's impossible to get them to change
anything. I use webtv because I don't need or want a computer. I may
have to leave this group if I have to continue to scroll through over
300 posts to get to something new.

---MIKE---

There's only been a few posts to it in the last couple days. Can you ignore
or "mark as read" posts you don't want to see?

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old February 11th 05, 09:32 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-02-11, ---MIKE--- penned:
Monique, Webtv is part of Microsoft. Do you think an email to Bill Gates
would correct the problem? It's impossible to get them to change anything.
I use webtv because I don't need or want a computer. I may have to leave
this group if I have to continue to scroll through over 300 posts to get to
something new.

I feel for you, and I understand the problem, but I am also frustrated with
the consistent attitude by Microsoft of "We'll do non-standard things in our
applications and assume that everyone else will conform." Because that
attitude has caused me so much trouble in so many aspects of my life, from my
personal pursuits to my job, I am less than inclined to go out of my way to
enable people to use their crap, er, products.

The right answer is, yes, that webtv users should complain about the fact that
they have no way to block an unwanted thread, or otherwise manage large
threads.

My newsreader displays each thread as a single line. I only see the
individual messages if I select that line. This is called a "threaded" view.
What does your client (viewer) do? Is there an option to sort by threads?

Old February 11th 05, 09:36 PM
Mary

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
Monique, Webtv is part of Microsoft. Do you think an email to Bill
Gates would correct the problem? It's impossible to get them to change
anything. I use webtv because I don't need or want a computer. I may
have to leave this group if I have to continue to scroll through over
300 posts to get to something new.

---MIKE---

Mike. Webtv is ridiculous. This is just one little sign
that you DO need a computer.

Old February 12th 05, 01:05 AM
-L.

---MIKE--- wrote:
Monique, Webtv is part of Microsoft. Do you think an email to Bill
Gates would correct the problem? It's impossible to get them to

change
anything. I use webtv because I don't need or want a computer. I

may
have to leave this group if I have to continue to scroll through over
300 posts to get to something new.

---MIKE---

Go to http://groups.google.com and read and post throught the site -
problem solved.

-L.

Old February 12th 05, 07:56 PM
---MIKE---

Mary, Your comments have infuriated me. I am through contributing to
this group until the POLL thread is gone.

---MIKE---

Old February 12th 05, 08:40 PM
Mary

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
Mary, Your comments have infuriated me. I am through contributing to
this group until the POLL thread is gone.

Just because I said that webtv is ridiculous and the fact that you cannot
killfile is a sign that you DO need a computer? If that is all it takes, you
are far too delicate for Usenet. Or much else. Webtv IS ridiculous.