Roundworms

Old September 27th 05, 03:21 PM
CatNipped

Default Roundworms

SIGH I knew something like this might happen.

Jessie defecated outside of the litter box this morning, and in the feces
was a roundworm. It looked like this, except it was a bit more translucent
and had bloody streaks in it.

My sister-in-law's cats are indoor/outdoor so she may have gotten it from
them, but Jessie also spent the night outside last week when someone let her
out the door after DH and I had gone to bed.

Jessie has been looking a little peaked the last couple of days or so, and
she has been losing a bit of weight (but my digital baby scale got broken
when one of my granddaughters stepped on it so I don't know how much). I
attributed that to all the stress and commotion in the house, though.

This is the first time I've ever had to deal with roundworms. Can they make
a cat feel ill and lose weight? Would they cause a cat to defecate outside
of the litter box (maybe extra urgency to go)?

I don't have any hopes that the vet will treat her over the phone, so I'll
probably be bringing her in today after the vet calls me back (gawd, I can't
afford this right now!!!), but I thought I'd garner some wisdom from the
group in the mean time.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old September 27th 05, 03:34 PM
Helen Miles

"CatNipped" wrote in message

I don't have any hopes that the vet will treat her over the phone, so I'll
probably be bringing her in today after the vet calls me back (gawd, I can't
afford this right now!!!), but I thought I'd garner some wisdom from the
group in the mean time.///

TBH, Catnipped, just explain to the vet that you've *seen* round worm in
Jessies poop and ask for some Cat Drontal which will fix the problem.
Alternatively, you should be able to buy it over the internet.

Yes, they could be making her feel *off* but it's very easily treated
and cured. If the vet insists on a feacal test, they're ripping you off.
In the UK, it's widely accepted that you can just go into the vet office
to pick them up - they don't have to see the animal as long as it is
registered with them. You may *even* be able to buy Drontral at Petco or
Petsmart in the USA, I can't remember.

Helen M

Old September 27th 05, 03:36 PM
Helen Miles

"Helen Miles" wrote in message
news:cb975eb9ad0921cda516a8b162fc6e79.76411@mygate .mailgate.org
TBH, Catnipped, just explain to the vet that you've *seen* round worm in
Jessies poop and ask for some Cat Drontal which will fix the problem.
Alternatively, you should be able to buy it over the internet.///

In fact CN, here's a link....

http://www.bullwrinkle.com/index.htm....htm~indexmain

Helen M

Old September 27th 05, 03:45 PM
CatNipped

"Helen Miles" wrote in message
news:6d64614e80c3c6105faa7dad6cec8142.76411@mygate .mailgate.org...
"Helen Miles" wrote in message
news:cb975eb9ad0921cda516a8b162fc6e79.76411@mygate .mailgate.org
TBH, Catnipped, just explain to the vet that you've *seen* round worm in
Jessies poop and ask for some Cat Drontal which will fix the problem.
Alternatively, you should be able to buy it over the internet.///

In fact CN, here's a link....

http://www.bullwrinkle.com/index.htm....htm~indexmain

Helen M

Thank you, Helen! I'm hoping they'll just sell me some since Jessie just
got all of her shots and was checked out 2 months ago. However, I won't
gripe too much if they ask to see her (except about the charges) - it
*would* settle my worry about her since she is feeling poorly and losing
weight (I'm a panic mom! ;).

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old September 27th 05, 04:11 PM
wafflycat

"CatNipped" wrote in message

I don't have any hopes that the vet will treat her over the phone, so I'll
probably be bringing her in today after the vet calls me back (gawd, I
can't
afford this right now!!!), but I thought I'd garner some wisdom from the
group in the mean time.

Hugs,

CatNipped

A Drontal tablet will clear this quickly and without fuss. As my three are
indoor/outdoor and hunt, I make sure they are regularly given a Drontal and
they have no problems with worms. Of course, being of warped mind, I have
visions which are a dastardly way to deal with MIL :-Þ

Cheers, helen s

Old September 27th 05, 04:12 PM
wafflycat

"Helen Miles" wrote in message
news:cb975eb9ad0921cda516a8b162fc6e79.76411@mygate .mailgate.org...

Yes, they could be making her feel *off* but it's very easily treated
and cured. If the vet insists on a feacal test, they're ripping you off.
In the UK, it's widely accepted that you can just go into the vet office
to pick them up - they don't have to see the animal as long as it is
registered with them. You may *even* be able to buy Drontral at Petco or
Petsmart in the USA, I can't remember.

I confirm this - I just pop into the vet and pick up the tablets
periodically - it's just *normal* part of looking after a pet responsibly.

Cheers, helen s

Old September 27th 05, 04:12 PM
Exocat

"CatNipped" wrote

http://www.bullwrinkle.com/index.htm....htm~indexmain

Helen M

Thank you, Helen! I'm hoping they'll just sell me some since Jessie
just
got all of her shots and was checked out 2 months ago.

If it's not too late, ask TED about "Milbemax" - it's as effective
and wide-ranging as Drontal but is a much smaller and more
easily administered tablet & has taken over at our excellent
progressive vets.

I've even got them down hyperactive Claudius' litle throat!
Although I don't suppose Jessie is as tough to treat as your
Bandit would be.

Purrs
Gordon & the FF

Old September 27th 05, 04:18 PM
Helen Miles

"Exocat" wrote in message
news
If it's not too late, ask TED about "Milbemax" - it's as effective
and wide-ranging as Drontal but is a much smaller and more
easily administered tablet & has taken over at our excellent
progressive vets.////

Actually, TBH, this is what my new vet uses too - I'm just so brain
washed by Drontal, I forgot it's name! ;o)

Helen M

Old September 27th 05, 04:18 PM
Kreisleriana

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 09:21:02 -0500, "CatNipped"
yodeled:

[...]

Poor little girl! I like Jessie so much. Purrs for her to feel
better.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old September 27th 05, 09:06 PM
Debra Berry

Hi,

We usually use two doses of strongid liquid, two weeks apart for
roundworm.
It doesn't seem to taste too bad and is easy on the kitty. If Jessie is
a regular patient of your vet, you could just ask him/her to give you
the
correct amount (according to weight) predrawn in a syringe without a
needle.
Just squirt it into her mouth. The vet should just charge you for the
meds,
which is pretty cheap. Do not give her deworming medicine from the
petstore unless it is Drontal.

Debbie