For Those Who Think Vaccinations Aren't Important

Old November 28th 04, 07:25 AM
Heather

Default For Those Who Think Vaccinations Aren't Important

We've all gotten a beautiful little kitten that just steals your heart
away and we vow to take good care of him.
He looks healthy and, despite all the veterinary press about
vaccinations, some of us think "My kitten is staying indoors...
nothing can hurt him or infect him. He'll be safe."
WRONG!
Our 12 week old kitten sleeps lethargically on a soft towel in
a chair with high fever, no appetite, no will to even
open his eyes. The purr he always had whenever he was
picked up and cuddled is gone.
The vet says "Could be infection but could be panleukopenia".
I call up the person we got the kitten from only to find out that the
kitten was not vaccinated at all and neither was his mother. We
intended to vaccinate him but got busy with so many other things.
The Vet says "Give him these antibiotics, give him subcu fluids,
and watch him....if he gets much worse, bring him back and we'll
either launch him on an intensive round of supportive measures (if you
can afford them) ...they will cost somewhere in the high hundreds....
or we can humanely euthanize him". The fatality rate in kittens under
16 weeks with Panleukopenia is 75%.
To those who love their new cat or kitten....PLEASE, don't think this
can't happen
to you...please don't think that vaccinations are an un-necessary
precaution or an overeaction on the part of Vets that like to push
for them in the very unlikely event that your cat may catch something
Don't think that your kitten will have no opportunity to be exposed
to anything.
Don't be like us and learn the hard way.

Susan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I can only please one person each day.
Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't
looking good either.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old November 28th 04, 08:20 AM
Phil P.

"Heather" wrote in message
[...]

Susan,

I've been through this many, many times. Follow this *closely*:

If his plasma protein falls 4 g/dL or if his total WBC counts fall 2000
cells/dL *immediately* -- *immediately* order *whole blood* transfusions -
preferably from an *adult* cat. It's also *imperative* to maintain
electrolyte balance and keep him nourished - even if it means feeding him
intravenously . Electrolyte replacement and intravenous nutrient support
usually makes the difference between life and death.

Keep the faith.

Phil

Old November 28th 04, 04:49 PM
Heather

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 03:20:10 -0500, "Phil P."
wrote:

"Heather" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thank you for the sound advice, Phil. :-)
He had 35 CC of subcu Saline last night plus
his anitbiotic drops and, this morning, he drank a
fair bit from his water dish....I'm taking that as a good sign.
He slept on our bed last night and got lots of TLC.

I appreciate your input, Phil.

Susan
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old November 29th 04, 02:46 AM
Phil P.

wrote:
[...]

If you can get him through the first few days (5-7) with fluids and
electrolytes,
and nutritional support, he'll start producing neutralizing antibodies in
about 4 days that will begin to shut down the infection. If you can get him
past this crucial stage, he should have an uncomplicated recovery. Don't
stop the antibiotics - even if he seems to improve. His WBC count will
still be low which will leave him susceptible to secondary infections.

Good luck.

Phil

Old November 29th 04, 03:51 AM
Heather

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 02:46:15 GMT, "Phil P."
wrote:

.. .
wrote:
[...]

You're so kind to share this info with me, Phil....thank you!
Tomorrow, he gets a test for Parvo (which should also pick up whether
it's Panleukopenia). He'll also be tested for a blood infection and
have a full blood panel done.
If it's Panleuk, he gets whatever supportive care he needs to survive
it. If it's blood infection, he gets strong antibiotics to help him
get over it. I'm pulling out all the stops on this little guy.
I've had many cats in my life, but none as loving as this little
one....he deserves anything that I or the medical professionals can do
for him.
One question....you seem to know quite a bit about feline health.
Does he stand a better chance at life if he is supported in hospital
or at home where he can be loved and reassured??? Just wondering
because it seems to me that the will to live plays an important role
in this.

Susan
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old November 29th 04, 08:43 AM
Phil P.

# # # #####

#1 - Executive summary
#2 - Brain admits he screws [SBI] around all the time
#3 - His internal and external business activities
#4 - The SYBASE-MODE source code transfers
#5 - Why the source isn't PD even though he's labelled it PD.
#6 - InterNic Registry Information for XXX.com and XXXX.com
#7 - One days WWW traffic snapshot from his personal WS poison.
#8 - A Day in the Life: a full days traffic,
excluding tons of XXX-support email
#9 - Misc traffic

# # #
# # ##
####### # #
# # # Executive summary
####### #
# # #
# # #####

These are the activities of Bob Brain that are forbidden:

o Transmitted out a source extensively maintained at SBI expense.
It is "productivity enhancing" software "SYBASE-MODE" lisp/emacs
for production use by Sybase SAs.

o Gave away these enhancements by labelling them Public Domain [PD],
and mailing into competitors such as Merrill Lynch.

o Has spent a LARGE amount of SBI time (inside SBI) working
on his own WWW business. Still actively does this.

o Transmitted a copyrighted script.
# This script is a commercial product. Giving or selling it to anyone
# is not permitted under any circumstances.

o Spends time as "helpdesk" for his distribution of SYBASE-MODE.

Furthermore, he has

Old November 29th 04, 05:17 PM
Phil P.

wrote:

[...]

If he has panleukopenia, he'd stand a better chance in the hospital. FP
kittens can quickly make a turn for the worse, so immediate intensive care
is essential.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "blood infection". Bacteremia?
Haemobartonella felis?

Phil

Old November 29th 04, 07:49 PM
Heather

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 12:17:43 -0500, "Phil P."
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

I think the Vet meant Bacteremia.
As it happens, this morning, for the first time in days,
the kitten drank a bit of water, managed to use the litter box,
and purred when he was picked up.
I consulted with the Vet who suggested I keep feeding him
through an eyedropper, hydrating him with Saline, keep him
on the antibiotic drops, and monitor his progress. She said if it was
FP, he'd only get worse.
We're taking him in to the Vet to get more Subcu fluids this
afternoon. I have the equipment and Saline here but the needle
I have is larger and only for adult cats, not a young kitten.
Thank again, Phil, for caring. :-)

Susan (Heather)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old November 29th 04, 10:09 PM
Mary

I call up the person we got the kitten from only to find out that the
kitten was not vaccinated at all and neither was his mother.

Sounds like he got it from his mother. Vaccination after exposure wouldn't have
helped him. I'm sorry you have to go through this. When I adopt out cats I
vaccinate, spay/neuter, microchip, get them checked out and tested at vet, make
sure they have no behavioral problems... I just don't want one having problems
or coming back. That's why I charge an adoption fee, to try and cover some of
my costs. An adoption fee which includes these things saves the adopter a lot
of money, and heart break.