B & C = A Terrible Morning, scream

Old August 23rd 03, 03:35 AM
Steve Touchstone

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 18:17:50 -0600, "Christine Burel"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
Bev wrote:

Ted and I were born in the same year so we call it our vintage
year, rofl.

I like that!

Joyce, vintage 1954 (b'day Sept. 18, coming up soon - eek!)

I'm also a 1954er - July. It's next year that's going to be hard.
Christine

Must have been a good year -

June '54 here
Old August 23rd 03, 04:17 AM
Yoj

wrote in message
Christine Burel wrote:

Joyce, vintage 1954 (b'day Sept. 18, coming up soon - eek!)

I'm also a 1954er - July. It's next year that's going to be hard.

Yep, next year's the big one!! And it's my first decade birthday where
I have negative feelings about it. I was fine turning 30, and had no
problem turning 40 either. But that's because I grew up with positive
role models for both the 30s and the 40s. But I don't have any

positive
images of the 50s!! Can any of you 50-somethings help? Tell me that
life goes on after 50!

Joyce

Yes, it definitely does. I became a widow at age 50. I was always an
introvert. My husband was an extrovert, so I always let him run
interference for me. Suddenly I was on my own. It took me a year or so
to get kick-started (It takes a while to learn to kick yourself in the
behind G). Then I joined Toastmasters, and came out of my shell. I
have a ball with that, belong to three Toastmasters clubs, and compete
in their semi-annual contests. I have a collection of trophies to prove
it. I also found out I can travel on my own, and enjoy it. Granted, it
helps if you have friends you've met on newsgroups in the places you
visit, but even if you don't, you can have a wonderful time. I have a
very satisfactory life, and I will be 68 in November.

If that isn't enough encouragement, my mother was widowed at age 74.
She had been living on the Central Coast of California; then she moved
to Northern California to be near my sister. She began traveling with
Elderhostel, and occasionally on her own. At age 80, she moved to
Alaska. (My sister and her husband moved there at the same time.) She
is 91 now, and still having fun. She had to give up her car a couple of
years ago, but she has a senior scooter, and in good weather drives
herself to church, to the market, and to the Senior Citizens Center for
the three-times-a-week exercise class. In most weeks she eats lunch out
with friends more times than she has lunch at home.

There is definitely life after 50. And 60. And 70. And . . .

Joy

Joy

Old August 23rd 03, 04:48 AM

Yoj wrote:

Tell me that life goes on after 50!
Joyce

Yes, it definitely does. I became a widow at age 50. I was always an
introvert. My husband was an extrovert, so I always let him run
interference for me. Suddenly I was on my own. It took me a year or so
to get kick-started (It takes a while to learn to kick yourself in the
behind G). Then I joined Toastmasters, and came out of my shell. I
have a ball with that, belong to three Toastmasters clubs, and compete
in their semi-annual contests. I have a collection of trophies to prove
it. I also found out I can travel on my own, and enjoy it.

Thanks, Joy! I love hearing stories like this!

Joyce
Old August 23rd 03, 02:16 PM
polonca12000

Good for you and for your mother, Joy!
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Yoj" wrote in message
snipThen I joined Toastmasters, and came out of my shell.

Old August 23rd 03, 04:47 PM
CK

bewtifulfreak wrote:
Seanette Blaylock wrote:
had some very interesting things to say
about vintage year:
"Christine Burel" wrote:

I'm also a 1954er - July. It's next year that's going to be hard.

Steve Touchstone wrote:

Must have been a good year -
June '54 here

Wow, June, July - I'm starting to feel like a kid!
Joyce (September)

Tell me about it :-)

Seanette [August 1969]

Me, too!

Ann [April 1969]

And I'm inbetween all of you with my July 1963.

Christine in Vantaa, Finland (Europe)
Email: christal63(at)yahoo(dot)com
Photos: http://photos.yahoo.com/christal63

Old August 23rd 03, 04:54 PM
bewtifulfreak

CK wrote:

And I'm inbetween all of you with my July 1963.

Happy Belated Birthday!!!

That's also my hubby's year.

Old August 23rd 03, 05:50 PM
David Stevenson

Bev wrote

Surely nothing else can happen.

Goodness, I hope it does.

If ever your life becomes staid and boring, all the rest of us will
lose something important.

WE WANT THINGS TO HAPPEN TO BEV !!!
WE WANT THINGS TO HAPPEN TO BEV !!!
WE WANT THINGS TO HAPPEN TO BEV !!!