OT Colonoscopy tomorrow (Friday)

Old November 20th 09, 10:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Default OT Colonoscopy tomorrow (Friday)

hopitus wrote:
On Nov 20, 1:13 pm, "Granby" wrote:
If you think the pills wee fun, you should do the stuff they run through
your veins. Next day they gave me potassium all day."Lesley" wrote in message

On Nov 20, 3:12 am, "Granby" wrote:
Then, they gave me lasix and ruined the

whole thing!

Years ago my mum decided that I didn't have puppy fat I had "water
retention" and she got her hands on some Lasix from a friend of hers
and made me take it as this was the weekend when my dad was
redecorating the bathroom and the toilet was disconnected from the
water supply I suspect it was an act of sadism on her part

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

OMG that drug has some very unpleasant plus dangerous side effects.
And all these many years, I held a grudge...beyond the grave...to my
mother for shoving *butter* down my throat at 3am to attempt to lower
my 108oF fever when I had the Asian flu at age 15, instead of getting
a doctor! Your mum tops that.I am glad you survived to be with us.
one AFAIC.

108 degree temp? You are lucky to be here. It would be interesting if
there were a way to go back and check some mothers' IQs.When I think of
some things my mother did, I wonder! MLB
Old November 20th 09, 11:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

"hopitus" wrote in message
wrote in message

On Nov 20, 3:12 am, "Granby" wrote:
[...]

My parents were just dumb. Father a mountain man from Tenn. hills, 7
of his
siblings died when he was 17, including his fave 15-year-old bro, from
typhoid
fever spreed by their family's cistern well (12 kids,2 adults). Mother
from the
LA delta 'Cajun towns where they wouldn't know a doctor if one ran
them over.
Today they call it criminal negligence. People like this are still
raising kids, but
many of them landed here from foreign countries with lower living
standards.
Which leads to a current, up-to-the-minute health care argument which
I refuse
to enter here.

We just lost a family member a couple weeks ago due to stupid stubborn
mountain idiocy. He had the Flu ( not swine) so bad that it went to his
heart. He refused to go to the doctor or hospital even though he was laid up
in the bed barely able to breathe. The true stupid thing; which I think
their side of family is looking at charges to be pressed or should, is that
his wife is a long time Nurse and did not call 911 or the doctor because he
said not to that he was fine. The worse thing is that their son is a doctor
and was away. He found out that his father was sick than died. He was irate
that no one called him or a doctor. He said dam his father's pride he would
have been in the ER. If he had to drag him there.

My friend May he rest in peace pasted away a couple months ago due to
lung cancer. The doctor told him to stop smoking that if he did not stop
the chemo he needed would not work. He refused still went through the
treatments. He died a few weeks later. May he rest in peace but I have no
sympathy for or his wife; she knew but ignored the situation.

Mountain pride as it is called I would love to take a baseball bat to
them and people like that. Ignorant pride needs to be beaten out of people
IMO plain and simple.

Old November 21st 09, 12:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Nov 20, 3:30 pm, "Matthew"
wrote:
"hopitus" wrote in message

On Nov 20, 2:40 pm, MLB wrote:

wrote in message

On Nov 20, 3:12 am, "Granby" wrote:
[...]

But it is how they were raised. I met both sides during travel when I
was younger.
Both, in different ways, were among the finest people I ever met. All
distant and
not-so-distant cuzzins whom I enjoyed thoroughly. They just lead much
more
simple lives than we do. We citified kin have gained so much more in
knowledge
and utilization of the modern innovations....but we've lost a few
things of value
they still respect, IMHO.
BTW Matt I have some friends, not relatives, from Bowling Green rural
area, who
I value highly as longtime pals in Miami. Mountain pride is not all a
bad thing
socially. I have had some of the best times of my life with these
friends.

Not what I meant my friend. There is major difference in Mountain pride and
mountain stubborn pride which is what I meant. My apologies for the
misunderstanding. These people I mentioned were citified country people who
knew better but their mountain stubborn pride got in the way. No excuse for
them they all knew better.

I do miss the simple ways and the fun we had. What you can do with stick,
safety pin and some string but would I take it over having healthcare and
veterinary care close by in case of emergency. Never again

I have talked with Mom about going back to Kentucky to our family farm and
living there again but we both agreed it would probably kills us to keep up
with it ;-)

Old November 21st 09, 01:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

MLB wrote:

hopitus wrote:

OMG that drug has some very unpleasant plus dangerous side effects.
And all these many years, I held a grudge...beyond the grave...to my
mother for shoving *butter* down my throat at 3am to attempt to lower
my 108oF fever when I had the Asian flu at age 15, instead of getting
a doctor! Your mum tops that.I am glad you survived to be with us.
one AFAIC.

108 degree temp? You are lucky to be here. It would be interesting if
there were a way to go back and check some mothers' IQs.When I think of
some things my mother did, I wonder! MLB

Hops is confused. 108 wasn't her temp, it was her mom's IQ.

(Seriously, I think she was exaggerating. 108F temp = dead. Most people
can't even survive 106.) (Metric conversion: 108F = 42.2C, 106 = 41.1.)

Joyce

--
Taxes: Money you complain about giving the government, to pay for
services whose absence you would complain about.
Old November 21st 09, 04:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

MLB wrote:

wrote:

Hops is confused. 108 wasn't her temp, it was her mom's IQ.

(Seriously, I think she was exaggerating. 108F temp = dead. Most people
can't even survive 106.) (Metric conversion: 108F = 42.2C, 106 = 41.1.)

A 108 IQ is in the range of average It was probably an exaggeration to
say it was 108 temperature. MLB

You're kidding. That doesn't sound right to me (about the IQ). I'm not
going to swear by it because I'm not sure, but that seems pretty low
to me. Mine is quite a bit above that and I am hardly a genius.

I don't actually know what the different range cut-offs are, though -
what is considered developmentally disabled, what's average, and what's
genius? And then, of course, the IQ only tells a little bit about a
person's intelligence - there's usually a lot more to it than just how
well a person performs on logic, computation and language tests. I'm
not saying it's completely invalid - it's the truth, but not the whole
truth.

There's also the "EQ" - the emotional intelligence. It certainly plays
an important role in a person's overall intelligence, as much if not more
than the IQ. Mine is rather low, I have to admit. :-O (I don't have a
number, but from how it's described, I can tell that I wouldn't do very
well.) And whatever skills I do have in that area, I've gotten *during
my adulthood* by consciously working at it. Lord knows I was let loose
on the world as a young adult with hardly any skills to navigate the
social universe!

Joyce

--
The sun rose slowly, like a fiery furball coughed up uneasily onto a
sky-blue carpet by a giant unseen cat.
Old November 21st 09, 07:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

wrote:
MLB wrote:

wrote:

[...]

The IQ shows what one is capable of (presumably) not what has been
achieved. It, as you say, is more complex than that. A genius can
still be a bum (or worse). I did look it up before I replied, just to
see if I remembered correctly == it has been a long time since I
thought about it. There must be an old saying about this -- something
like the harder you work (study) the smarter you get. Best wishes. MLB
Old November 21st 09, 12:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

Matthew wrote:

[...]

It's not limited to mountains, and people do have the right to refuse to
see a doctor or follow a doctor's instructions, even if they die as a
result.

Mind you, most won't. When the mother of a friend of mine was in her
last illness, she was reluctant to consult a doctor, and of course,
since she was conscious and in her right mind, the ambulance attendance
wouldn't take her unless she consented. Her daughter finally said "Do
you want to put me through the same thing X (a close friend who refused
to get medical treatment) put you through?" and she went, although the
emergency surgery that followed revealed terminal cancer, and she never
woke up after the operation.

If someone can't or won't follow their doctor's directions, that's their
choice, and really, if they're determined, not even a spouse can or
should take responsibility for making them change their minds (unless,
of course, they are underaged or not in their right minds).

It's a very serious (and usually pointless) thing to do to *force*
someone to quit smoking or see a doctor and follow directions. Suggest,
urge, persuade them to, yes. But ultimately the decision is theirs.

--
Cheryl
Old November 21st 09, 12:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

wrote:

[...]

IQ tests are designed to produce a normal distribution, which means IQ
tests are usually designed to have an average score of 100, with 68% of
the population scoring between 85-115. They were originally invented to
identify developmentally delayed children, and you can find lists of
exactly which scores were considered to represent which level of
disability (or ability, on the other end). I expect nowadays children
who don't seem to be doing well are tested in a variety of ways to try
to figure out just what their problems are.

As you point out, IQ tests don't cover all of what 'intelligence' is now
understood to include. It can predict school achievement - but so can so
many other characteristics that people often combine them in studies
instead of using just one. And even when much more weight was put on IQ
testing than is now, there were 'underachievers' who did worse in school
than predicted by their IQ score, and 'overachievers' who did better in
school than predicted by their IQ score. So IQ is definitely not the be
all and end all of intelligence testing - but people still seem
fascinated by it.

--
Cheryl
Old November 21st 09, 04:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Sometimes that refusal can be made out of fear, take the time to figure the
difference. Believe me I know. Been there, ignored that.
"Cheryl" wrote in message
Matthew wrote:

[...]

Friday is the day -L. Cat health & behaviour 19 April 13th 07 04:07 PM
OT Black Friday Matthew Cat anecdotes 30 November 24th 06 09:36 AM
Some Friday fun ceb Cat health & behaviour 0 June 24th 05 09:38 PM
OT - Friday was a Sad Day Magic Mood Jeep© Cat anecdotes 8 May 28th 05 04:33 PM
Gone Friday and Saturday Tanada Cat anecdotes 6 September 24th 04 04:04 AM