It's impossible

Old January 10th 05, 04:01 PM
jmcquown

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
On 2005-01-10, jmcquown penned:

But on the flip side... I used to get very, very irritated when I was
working my ass off and a couple of people in the department were
doing nothing but sufing the web.

IMO, it doesn't matter what you're doing as long as you get your job
done. The people you're describing weren't getting their jobs done.
If it wasn't the net, it would be solitaire, or phone calls to
friends and family, or long lunches ... if you took everything else
from them, they'd just play with paperclips or something.

LOL That's very true! These same people would drag themselves in 20
minutes late every day, take extra long lunches, find urgent reasons to need
to leave early. Sure, I had my down-time. When my work was caught up I'd
flip through clothing catalogs, surf, whatever. But that was the exception
rather than the rule.

Jill

Old January 10th 05, 05:10 PM
jmcquown

On 2005-01-09, Christina Websell penned:

Ah, but you see, it costs money. We are a government agency
responsible for all the money we spend to the taxpayer. If Tweed,
(not a top manager) was allowed access to the Internet on her work
PC, she would not do any work at all, and would just surf the net
all day and play games online. Costing the council money. Costing
the taxpayers money.

They think.

It's a good thing that top managers would never surf the net, as they
are a completely different species than us regular folks.

Reminds me of where Eric works. They have strict rules about when
you get a cube with high walls, a cube with a window, etc., and come
hell or high water, you must have the type of office space
appropriate for your rank. Sheer silliness.

I worked at a place like that once! It was just nuts. Sorry, if you're a
level 5 your cube walls can only be *this* tall.

I also worked at a place which was a family owned business. The "mom" was
the Treasurer of the company. But in reality she was the house-mom.
Everything had to be asthetically correct. You weren't allowed to hang a
jacket or sweater on the back of your chair. Tissue boxes had to be stored
in a drawer, never on top of the desk. Only one family photo on the desk.
We were once all in an hour long meeting to remind us of these and other
equally silly rules when we could have been getting some work done.

Jill

Old January 11th 05, 12:11 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-10, jmcquown penned:

I worked at a place like that once! It was just nuts. Sorry, if you're a
level 5 your cube walls can only be *this* tall.

My dad worked for the government and actually witnessed windows being boarded
up because the person moving into the office wasn't high enough ranked to
deserve a window office ... gee, I bet that kind of stuff is just great for
morale!

I also worked at a place which was a family owned business. The "mom" was
the Treasurer of the company. But in reality she was the house-mom.
Everything had to be asthetically correct. You weren't allowed to hang a
jacket or sweater on the back of your chair. Tissue boxes had to be stored
in a drawer, never on top of the desk. Only one family photo on the desk.
We were once all in an hour long meeting to remind us of these and other
equally silly rules when we could have been getting some work done.

Okay, that's completely insane. I wouldn't have lasted long there; I suppose
she would have fired me for my clutter. "Cluttered desk, cluttered mind.
Empty desk ..."

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old January 11th 05, 04:30 AM
Marina

On 2005-01-10, jmcquown penned:

I worked at a place like that once! It was just nuts. Sorry, if you're a
level 5 your cube walls can only be *this* tall.

My dad worked for the government and actually witnessed windows being boarded
up because the person moving into the office wasn't high enough ranked to
deserve a window office ... gee, I bet that kind of stuff is just great for
morale!

My goodness. Here it's illegal to put an office worker in a room without
a window. Well, all office buildings are built so every office has a
window, so there's no chance of that, except if you put someone in a
broom cupboard.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki
Old January 11th 05, 04:38 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-11, Marina penned:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

My dad worked for the government and actually witnessed windows being
boarded up because the person moving into the office wasn't high enough
ranked to deserve a window office ... gee, I bet that kind of stuff is just
great for morale!

My goodness. Here it's illegal to put an office worker in a room without a
window. Well, all office buildings are built so every office has a window,
so there's no chance of that, except if you put someone in a broom cupboard.

Wow.

I love having a window. Without one, I get kind of bummed and keep wandering
off to go look out whatever window I can find, just to prove to myself that
the outside is still there =P

As for broom cupboards, don't laugh! While I was an intern at my first
company, I did work in a converted closet. I enjoyed my work, though, the
people were great, and while it wasn't the *greatest* office in the world, it
didn't kill me.

I'd rather work in a closet than in my current cube. Too many distracting
noises all over!