Eight million 'sick' days over pet deaths

Old April 26th 04, 04:35 PM
Duke of URL

Default Eight million 'sick' days over pet deaths

RUSSELL JACKSON in The Scotsman
GRIEVING pet owners collectively take eight million "sick" days a year to
get over the death of their animals, according to new research.
Just over half of the UK's 14.5 million pet owners said they would need
between two and five days off work to grieve for their pet - while 10% said
they would need as much as two weeks, according to insurer Direct Line. Only
one in five pet owners thought they would need more time off work to come to
terms with the loss of a family member or close friend.
The group estimates that grieving owners cost UK businesses around £127
million a year in sick pay during the time they take off when their pet
dies. But 79% of people admitted they did not think their boss would be
sympathetic, and the only way they could get time off work was by lying,
usually pretending to be ill.
Chris Price, pet business manager at Direct Line, said: "Losing a pet can be
a very emotional time and can often leave a huge void in many pet owners'
lives. The death of a pet is more difficult to deal with than that of a
relative or family friend as pet owners often find there is a lack of
understanding, sympathy or empathy from family, friends or co-workers."
He said as a result of this Direct Line Pet Insurance had set up a 24-hour
bereavement helpline to help policyholders come to terms with the loss of
their pet. "These callers need a great deal of understanding and compassion
shown to them and often call back on more than one occasion, even many weeks
after their loss."

Old April 26th 04, 05:10 PM
jmcquown

Duke of URL wrote:
RUSSELL JACKSON in The Scotsman
GRIEVING pet owners collectively take eight million "sick" days a
year to get over the death of their animals, according to new
research.
Just over half of the UK's 14.5 million pet owners said they would
need between two and five days off work to grieve for their pet -
while 10% said they would need as much as two weeks, according to
insurer Direct Line.

I don't know about the UK or insurance actuarial studies, but I know when my
little dog, Sampson, died after nearly 18 years in November, 1999. I was
totally devastated. I'd gotten him at the age of 21 and was nearly 40 when
he died. That's a lifetime; it was like losing a child.

I'd had vacation time scheduled for the next week, so I called my supervisor
and switched it. I was off work for a week. Even after that, I was walking
around in a daze.

I had some very sympathetic co-workers; the day after his death, a knock
came to the door. I opened it and there was a delivery guy with some
beautiful flowers for me. He must have thought I was nuts because I burst
into tears.

It was 2 years and 2 months later that my cat, Persia, insisted I let her
into the house. I didn't want another pet; didn't want to be crushed like
that again. But she insisted. And in many ways I suspect Persia is Sampson
reincarnated. He must be quite surprised to be a feline and a female! ROFL

Jill

Old April 26th 04, 06:54 PM
Steve Touchstone

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 11:10:07 -0500, "jmcquown"
wrote:

snip
[...]

I'm like you, Jill, don't anything about the bean counters who figure
these tables and assign $ amounts to these things, but losing a
beloved companion is devasting - whether bare or furry. It's good that
you had some understanding co-workers, as so many times you run across
those who just don't understand that pet owners LOVE their pets.

I read this post right after fininshing Marc's post about losing his
rabbit Seumas. Part of his tribute to Julia, his Main Coon who he lost
a couple years ago, fits in this thread perfectly, "Okay, life goes on
and so do we but when a cat has meant so much for a human it's not
easy to put her out of your mind (some people do within some days
saying:"eh, a cat is just a cat, right?" Those people have never given
themselves the change to let a cat getting to know them so well and
they did not give themselves the change to be loved by a cat."
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:

Old April 26th 04, 08:22 PM
Hopitus2

I never lost a *day* from work after a pet's RB trip.....just cried the
whole work shift. Luckily, this was not noticeable as I worked alone in a
very dark room, x-raying people whose minds were on their own miseries and
not real observant re their surroundings.....

"Steve Touchstone" wrote in message
: On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 11:10:07 -0500, "jmcquown"
: wrote:
:
: snip
[...]
: --
: Steve Touchstone,
: faithful servant of Sammy, Little Bit and Rocky
:
: [remove Junk for email]
: Home Page:
: Cat Pix: http://www.sirinet.net/~stouchst/animals.html

Old April 26th 04, 08:32 PM
Karen

That's a lot why people take off. I mean, there you are, bursting into tears
over - to what seems to others - nothing. In most environments, this might
be noticed. Otherwise, working, for me is a necessary thing to get over
things - break ups, deaths etc. In fact, sometimes I overwork at such
times.

Karen

"Hopitus2" wrote in message
I never lost a *day* from work after a pet's RB trip.....just cried the
whole work shift. Luckily, this was not noticeable as I worked alone in a
very dark room, x-raying people whose minds were on their own miseries and
not real observant re their surroundings.....

"Steve Touchstone" wrote in message
: On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 11:10:07 -0500, "jmcquown"
: wrote:
:
: snip

Old April 28th 04, 05:39 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Duke of URL wrote:

The group estimates that grieving owners cost UK businesses around £127
million a year in sick pay during the time they take off when their pet
dies. But 79% of people admitted they did not think their boss would be
sympathetic, and the only way they could get time off work was by lying,
usually pretending to be ill.
Chris Price, pet business manager at Direct Line, said: "Losing a pet can be
a very emotional time and can often leave a huge void in many pet owners'
lives. The death of a pet is more difficult to deal with than that of a
relative or family friend as pet owners often find there is a lack of
understanding, sympathy or empathy from family, friends or co-workers."

Well, I understand that sick leave is somewhat different in other
countries, but in most places I've worked, here, we were allowed a
certain number of days in addition to vacation time. They call it "sick
leave" but actually it's intended to be used for any personal business
that must be taken care of during normal business hours. I use mine for
doctor's and dentist's appointments, or when I have to take a cat to the
vet. (Unlike vacation, which we may carry over to the next year if we
don't use it, the unused portion of our sick days are cancelled out at
the end of the year - it's a case of "use it or lose it".)