CLEO's checkup

Old September 27th 05, 09:41 PM
Bill Stock

Default CLEO's checkup

It seems Cleo doesn't act like a kitten, because she isn't.

The vet puts her at 1+, maybe even 2+. Based on the tartar build up and
Gingivitis. Seems an imprecise science.

The good news is that she tests negative for the serious viruses.

The bad news is that she has a broken Canine tooth, an elevated white cell
count, an Ears infection and some swelling around the left kidney. He said
the high white cell count could be due to parasites, but that they did not
find any. Although we're not 100% certain we got the right poop specimen, as
we had to go dumpster diving to get a sample. He wasn't sure if the swelling
on the left side was an early pregnancy or an abnormal kidney. But she does
drink quite a bit. She is not chipped of course.

The weird news is that the TED did not find any evidence of fleas? Although
he did clean a dirt farm out of her ears. She has to take drops to clear up
the ear infections.

The really bad news was the frickin bill. Holy Crap Batman, it was only a
check-up.

If we don't find her owner (hopefully not, based on her condition), she'll
at the same time.

Cleo has never seen a carrier as she walked right in when I opened it. She
was NOT cooperative at TEDs, as they had great difficulty holding her for
the blood extraction. She left the Vet Tech with some scratches as a
memento. Cleo says Vet Techs are evil people and she wants her dangerous
animal sticker. Surprising for an 8 pound kitty (I didn't even think she
was that heavy).

Old September 27th 05, 10:05 PM
Karen

On 2005-09-27 15:41:46 -0500, "Bill Stock" said:

[...]

she'll go back in a few weeks for a Spay. The vet said he would check
her kidneys at the same time.

Cleo has never seen a carrier as she walked right in when I opened it.
She was NOT cooperative at TEDs, as they had great difficulty holding
her for the blood extraction. She left the Vet Tech with some scratches
as a memento. Cleo says Vet Techs are evil people and she wants her
dangerous animal sticker. Surprising for an 8 pound kitty (I didn't
even think she was that heavy).

I certainly hope that the kidney thing is not serious. She is such a
cute thing.

Old September 28th 05, 02:09 AM
jmcquown

Bill Stock wrote:
It seems Cleo doesn't act like a kitten, because she isn't.

The vet puts her at 1+, maybe even 2+. Based on the tartar build up
and Gingivitis. Seems an imprecise science.

They didn't know how old Persia was but the vet tried to guess based on her
teeth. She appeared to be 2 years old in 2001 and had a tear in her ear
from a fight which the vet said healed naturally. Poor Persia was front
declawed so I don't know how she won whatever fight it was.

They gave her worm medicine after scanning her for a chip (none found, but
one would be found now) "just in case" and some booster shots (again just in
case).

[...]

Purrs for Cleo to have merely routine ailments, and easily treated ones.
You are so kind to take her in and care for her and deal with her care,
Bill.

Jill

Old September 28th 05, 01:12 PM
Jane

It seems Cleo doesn't act like a kitten, because she isn't.

The vet puts her at 1+, maybe even 2+. Based on the tartar build up
and Gingivitis. Seems an imprecise science.

They didn't know how old Persia was but the vet tried to guess based on her
teeth. She appeared to be 2 years old in 2001 and had a tear in her ear
from a fight which the vet said healed naturally. Poor Persia was front
declawed so I don't know how she won whatever fight it was.

The shelter said that my Rita was about 2 years old, but the vet said
that she looked closer to 1, since she was a tiny 7 lbs. Now, 7 months
later, I think she's closer to 9 lbs, and well-muscled, so I'm more
likely to believe the original 1 year age. That makes her 19 months
now. I think I'll keep her 'birthday' around Valentine's Day, when she
first acquired me.

Jane
- owned and operated by Princess Rita
Old September 28th 05, 10:10 PM
polonca12000

Thank you for taking such good care of Cleo.
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
.. .
It seems Cleo doesn't act like a kitten, because she isn't.

The vet puts her at 1+, maybe even 2+. Based on the tartar build up and
Gingivitis. Seems an imprecise science.

The good news is that she tests negative for the serious viruses.

The bad news is that she has a broken Canine tooth, an elevated white cell
count, an Ears infection and some swelling around the left kidney. snip

Old September 29th 05, 12:15 AM
Bill Stock

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Bill Stock wrote:
It seems Cleo doesn't act like a kitten, because she isn't.

The vet puts her at 1+, maybe even 2+. Based on the tartar build up
and Gingivitis. Seems an imprecise science.

They didn't know how old Persia was but the vet tried to guess based on
her
teeth. She appeared to be 2 years old in 2001 and had a tear in her ear
from a fight which the vet said healed naturally. Poor Persia was front
declawed so I don't know how she won whatever fight it was.

They gave her worm medicine after scanning her for a chip (none found, but
one would be found now) "just in case" and some booster shots (again just
in
case).

Yeah, Cleo had the wormer (what she didn't spit out), the range of
vacinations, four viles of blood, a serious ear cleaning and a manicure. She
was in there for over half an hour. She's picked up the habit of perching
on my shoulders, so she would jump up when TED was out of the office.
"Protect me from that guy with the ear fetish"

[...]

Thanks, I'm hoping the Kidney problem isn't serious.

Jill

Old September 29th 05, 12:15 AM
Bill Stock

Old September 29th 05, 12:21 AM
Bill Stock

"Jane" wrote in message
[...]

I think I've got two Queens myself, both Calicos. Amazingly the girls are
taking the new addition in stride. I don't expect a love fest any time soon,
but the integration has been fairly painless. Cali seemed more annoyed when
we got Smokey. I guess she feels that one more can't hurt, besides "she
reminds me of me". Smokey is jealous as usual, but the youngsters smack
first policy has stopped Smokey from bullying her, despite being twice
Cleo's size.

Old September 29th 05, 03:53 AM
Marina

Bill Stock wrote:

Yeah, Cleo had the wormer (what she didn't spit out), the range of
vacinations, four viles of blood, a serious ear cleaning and a manicure. She
was in there for over half an hour. She's picked up the habit of perching
on my shoulders, so she would jump up when TED was out of the office.
"Protect me from that guy with the ear fetish"

LOL! Nikki used to consider my shoulder a safe place, too. It really
was, since I can't bend my arms enough to take her down. I think Miranda
is realising this more and more.

--
Marina, Frank, Miranda and Caliban. In loving memory of Nikki.
marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi
Old September 29th 05, 04:21 AM
Bill Stock

"Marina" wrote in message
Bill Stock wrote:

Yeah, Cleo had the wormer (what she didn't spit out), the range of
vacinations, four viles of blood, a serious ear cleaning and a manicure.
She was in there for over half an hour. She's picked up the habit of
perching on my shoulders, so she would jump up when TED was out of the
office. "Protect me from that guy with the ear fetish"

LOL! Nikki used to consider my shoulder a safe place, too. It really was,
since I can't bend my arms enough to take her down. I think Miranda is
realising this more and more.

The perching thing is cute when you're expecting it. But when you're just
standing there and you find yourself with a fur collar it's a little
disconcerting.