Mad kitty!

Old October 23rd 04, 07:01 PM
JBHajos

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 17:18:52 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

I'm quite fascinated by the difference between American and English. I'd
like to hear more examples of the differences.

G.B. Shaw said to the effect that England and America were two
countries separated by a common language. When my daughter returned
from two years in England, where they were stationed with the Air
Force, I could barely understand what she and her little girls were
talking about. Different words and an accent to boot!!!! I don't
recall all of them but there were some such as "garden" which I
envisioned as an area rife with flowers/vegetables - no, just a plain
old "yard." When the girls mentioned their "knickers" I wondered why
they wanted boys' "trousers" - no, just plain old "underpants". Then
there was "mum" vs "mom." Sadly, they lost the accent and words all
too soon - at only 6 and 8 yrs old, they quickly picked up on the USA
southern-speak (a talent I, myself, haven't yet got the hang of after
all these years - I still get baffled by it).

Jeanne

Old October 23rd 04, 07:16 PM
Sherry

I'm quite fascinated by the difference between American and English. I'd
like to hear more examples of the differences.
Sidewalk - pavement
Faucet - tap
Hood - bonnet
Trunk - boot
Vacation - holiday
Humor - humour, now this looks to a Brit like it might be pronounced
"hoomer" instead of h-you-mer. Same as color. Looks like Kollar.

I really do relish the experience of sharing/asking my USA friends on this
group about pronounciation. Where else would an American tell me honestly
and without taking offence. (see offense!) Nowhere.

Tweed

Fascinates me, too. The term that always confused me when I was first on
newsgroups was "garden/yard." I honestly thought about everybody in the UK must
have nice, neat rows of green beans and carrots and such right out their back
door, because everybody let their cats out the back door into their "garden."
Someone from the UK flamed me good one time for using the word "dander."
I learned a lot from UK posters, and some words are in my vocabulary permanent
now. Like "moggie." There was a horrid creature from the UK that used to be on
the cat groups who called me "harpic." I'd never heard that one either! I
thought it must have angelic overtones.

Sherry

Old October 23rd 04, 07:37 PM
Christina Websell

wrote:

I'm quite fascinated by the difference between American and English. I'd
like to hear more examples of the differences.

G.B. Shaw said to the effect that England and America were two
countries separated by a common language. When my daughter returned
from two years in England, where they were stationed with the Air
Force, I could barely understand what she and her little girls were
talking about. Different words and an accent to boot!!!! I don't
recall all of them but there were some such as "garden" which I
envisioned as an area rife with flowers/vegetables - no, just a plain
old "yard."

A yard here would be something completely paved, or covered with concrete.

When the girls mentioned their "knickers" I wondered why
they wanted boys' "trousers" - no, just plain old "underpants".

Knickers are girls underpants, sometimes pretty with lace on. Underpants
are for boys. Trousers are what you call "pants." Leg covering for men.
Knickers and boys underpants are called pants here, they go under your outer
clothing.

Then there was "mum" vs "mom."

Yes, my mother was my "mum"

Sadly, they lost the accent and words all
too soon - at only 6 and 8 yrs old, they quickly picked up on the USA
southern-speak (a talent I, myself, haven't yet got the hang of after
all these years - I still get baffled by it).

g What a pity they lost their English accent. It is, after all, the
foundation of American.
ducks and runs quickly away

Tweed

Old October 23rd 04, 07:57 PM
Christina Websell

"Sherry " wrote in message
[...]

We call a garden something maybe with grass, or earth to grow things in, a
yard is definitely made of concrete. I do grow things in my garden, but
that isn't what makes it a garden, what makes it a garden is that it isn't a
"Yard."

Someone from the UK flamed me good one time for using the word "dander."

I understand the term "dander" to mean skin cells that come off pets, and
that people can be allergic to. Is that what you meean?

I learned a lot from UK posters, and some words are in my vocabulary
permanent
now. Like "moggie."

Moggie means a mongrel cat. Both my cats are moggies.

There was a horrid creature from the UK that used to be on
the cat groups who called me "harpic." I'd never heard that one either!

LOL!! Harpic is a thick bleach substance to put into the toilet bowl to
clean it.

I thought it must have angelic overtones.

Sorry, Sherry ;-)
Sometimes it's bad to get in touch with the UK. You can learn things you
don't want to.
But there again, if you have friends there, they'll tell you the truth.

Hugs
Tweed

My 24 hour kitty O J Cat anecdotes 39 August 20th 04 10:23 AM
A Gift from Mai Kitty David Cat anecdotes 20 May 2nd 04 09:50 PM