Mad kitty!

Old October 24th 04, 10:49 AM
Jeanette

Mishi wrote in message

.. These weren't coal ashes, but wood ash. I sat on a
sofa, and drank soda.

'soda' - An ingredient for an alcohol cure when I was a kid.

I grew up with 'pop' for any fizzy sweet drink, and 'cordial' for any sweet
drink that had to be diluted down with water.. My step-grandma, who lived
all of twenty miles away from me, used 'mineral' for any fizzy sweet drink,
and 'pop' for any sweet drink that had to be diluted down with water. I
guess I heard 'soda-pop' on American TV shows and deduced what it was from
that.

Jeanette

Old October 24th 04, 12:11 PM
Debbie Wilson

Jeanne Hedge wrote:

We were watching an old British movie one time, and one of the
characters said he was "going out for some fags". There was quite a
bit of surprise (not to mention rude comments) on our part until we
figured out that meant he was going out to buy some cigarettes g

Oh yes - when we were in Philadelphia last year, we went for a drink and
were sitting at the bar chatting to a couple of student doctors when my
DH said he really fancied a fag. Much wide-eyed mirth followed until we
explained what he had really been craving!!! He certainly won't make
that mistake again :-))

Deb.
(UK)
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old October 24th 04, 01:06 PM
Adrian

O J wrote:
On 23 Oct, CATherine wrote:

---------------------snip----------------------
BTW, what is wrong with ending a sentence with
a preposition? It sounds more natural! grin

I suspect most of my fellow USAians will have heard this, but for the
benefit of our international brothers and sisters...

A snooty Yankee is asked cheerfully by a Southern lady, "So where
ya'all from?"

The Yankee replies rudely, "I'm from where we don't end a sentence
with a preposition."

"OK, then where ya'all from, bitch?"

Regards and Purrs,
O J

Now the cats are looking at me wondering what I'm laughing at. :-)
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

My 24 hour kitty O J Cat anecdotes 39 August 20th 04 10:23 AM
A Gift from Mai Kitty David Cat anecdotes 20 May 2nd 04 09:50 PM