Pica?: What should I ask the vet about?

Old October 5th 08, 06:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Default Pica?: What should I ask the vet about?

Pica?: What should I ask the vet about?

I believe one of our cats has "Pica." He's slated to visit the vet's
office tomorrow morning (Monday) as I've noticed he's been attempting
to chew up DVD cases after knocking them from the bookshelf.

If anyone has had any experience with this disorder are there any
things in particular I should ask the vet? Anything I should be
particularly wary about aside from minimizing access to non-nutritive
items?

Thanks for your input.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old October 5th 08, 07:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dejablues[_4_]

"-Lost" meisdumbavgentheextrgfruawtardswords@terchlouergi e.com wrote in
message ...
Pica?: What should I ask the vet about?

I believe one of our cats has "Pica." He's slated to visit the vet's
office tomorrow morning (Monday) as I've noticed he's been attempting
to chew up DVD cases after knocking them from the bookshelf.

Pica is the consumption of non-food substances.
Attempting to chew random things is not pica.

Old October 6th 08, 05:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

It's possible he's attracted to the plastic on the DVD cases. For some
reason, certain cats enjoy chewing plastics. A vet trip certainly is a
good idea, of course, in the event your cat has a medical issue. You
can mix hot sauce 50:50 with water and spray/paint it on the plastics,
or put the DVDs in a non-accessible location.

Make sure other plastic items, such as plastic bags, twist ties, etc.
are hidden away, in case your cat ingests them.

How old is your cat? If he/she is young, it's possible it's just a
temporary phases that she/he will grow out of.
Old October 6th 08, 07:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Riannon via CatKB.com

Although I don't know about chewing plastic, I know that some cats will eat
litter and or sand when they are anemic. One of my cats used to like to chew
on plastic things when she was younger but she grew out of it. One of my
older cats is now eating sand and dirt and licking cement and I just found
out she is anemic.

Riannon

Old October 7th 08, 07:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response to "Rene S." :

It's possible he's attracted to the plastic on the DVD cases.
For some reason, certain cats enjoy chewing plastics. A vet trip
certainly is a good idea, of course, in the event your cat has a
medical issue. You can mix hot sauce 50:50 with water and
spray/paint it on the plastics, or put the DVDs in a
non-accessible location.

Make sure other plastic items, such as plastic bags, twist ties,
etc. are hidden away, in case your cat ingests them.

Apparently he's been doing just that. I witnessed him vomiting a
large piece of a small plastic bag one of my kids brought their
earrings home in yesterday.

How old is your cat? If he/she is young, it's possible it's just
a temporary phases that she/he will grow out of.

Approximately 2 years of age. He's always enjoyed chewing things
but we were never aware of any ingesting of said items.

Thanks for your feedback.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old October 7th 08, 07:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response to "Riannon via CatKB.com" u42022@uwe:

Although I don't know about chewing plastic, I know that some
cats will eat litter and or sand when they are anemic. One of
my cats used to like to chew on plastic things when she was
younger but she grew out of it. One of my older cats is now
eating sand and dirt and licking cement and I just found out she
is anemic.

The vet ruled out anything serious and anything related to pica but
I'll make sure to look out for other warning signs such as those you
mentioned.

Thanks for your input.

--
-Lost