[OT] Age Appropriate Dress?

Old January 31st 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Age Appropriate Dress?

Lesley wrote:

. She wore

leather. Looooong black gothic-y skirts. Mini-skirts. Lots of
eye-make-up, and peroxide blonde hair. Her theory was that although she
was a doctor, she was determined not to conform to stereotypes. She'd
dressed like this as a student, and she wasn't about to give it up now!
--

I knew a consultant histopathologist who was a total goth complete with
black hair and white make-up and used to decorate her office with webs

Lesley

Sort of like that character on NCSI? (Actually, that sounds
very appropriate for someone whose work involves post-mortems!)

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old January 31st 06, 04:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

Not that I'm a great example of a healthy eater or anything, but
you might actually look at eating MORE for breakfast. A large
breakfast gets your metabolism going.

I was wondering that, too. I heard that if you eat too little, your body
goes into 'starvation mode' and holds onto every bit of fat it can,
rather than burning it up, hence you won't lose any extra weight that
way.... does this make any sense?

I know my problem is not overeating - I certainly don't, prob no more
than 1400 cals/day, and we eat healthy food - but simply lack of
exercise! Since I started freelancing (at home, sitting down) full time,
I've gained 2.5 stone, although still only just on the border of
overweight, it's more than I'd like to be. I admire those like Victor
who make time in a busy lifestyle, to do Yoga, etc.

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old January 31st 06, 04:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-01-31, Victor Martinez penned:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
In fact, have you talked to a nutritionist? Without actaully
doing the math, your meals sound awfully small, especially with
1.5 hours of yoga.

Which is why I'd think I'd be losing weight! But I'm not!

Too little fuel, and your body goes into starvation mode.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old January 31st 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

CatNipped wrote:

I know, and it makes me crazy when people sneer and say things like, "You
want to lose weight, stop shoving food in your mouth!" - when, if they would
eat the exact same diet, they'd be screaming that they're being starved!
Overweight is the last societally accepted prejudice. People believe, and
*ACT* on those beliefs, that overweight people are sloppy, greedy, lazy, and
stupid - no matter *how* much evidence they're shown to the contrary.

Well, they get hung up on the idea that to be overweight,
you must eat more than your body requires to maintain your
ideal weight. Up to a point, that's probably true, but
there's a certain minimum intake necessary to sustain life!

I worked with a Phillipino girl who weighed about ninety
pounds soaking wet. She used to joke that she ate one meal
a day - it began when she woke up, and ended when she went
to bed at night. When she was in Catholic school, she was
absolved from fasting during Lent, because she'd have
fainting spells when she did.

On the other hand, there's an American Indian nation/tribe
(from somewhere in the Southwest desert country) whose
metabolisms are super efficent because they evolved where
food was always scarce and "survival of the fittest" meant
utilizing every scrap of food as efficiently as possible.
Now starvation is no longer a threat, they tend to be very
"overweight" on a diet that whould cause almost anyone else
to lose weight rapidly!

Old January 31st 06, 05:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-01-31, Victor Martinez penned:
CatNipped wrote:
I wonder when people will realize that some people are just born to
be big.

Indeed. Here's a typical day for me:

Breakfast: small glass grapefruit juice, light yogurt smoothie,
black coffee

Lunch: sandwich with a small fruit salad, iced green tea, soy yogurt
for dessert

Snack: handful of roasted nuts

Workout: 1.5 hrs of yoga

Dinner: 1 soy yogurt, 2-3 clementines (those little tangerines),
handful of nuts

With that diet, you'd think I'd have a perfect weight, well I do
not! My stupid metabolism is just too darned slow.

Well, I went to fitday.com and entered a rough estimate based on
what you described, and ... okay, that may be a reasonable number
of calories. It really depends on the definition of "small",
"handful", etc.

By the way, you might find it very interesting to open an account
there (it's free) and track your food and exercise for a few
weeks. It also gives you vitamin breakdowns and all sorts of
other useful info.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old January 31st 06, 05:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

CatNipped wrote:

DH *loves* big women - had it not been for my health I would never had
bothered to have the GB surgery. But my blood pressure was through the roof
and all my blood work results were in the red - the doctor told me I'd have
a heart attack or stroke within 5 years if I didn't lose weight. Since I've
lost the weight I've been disgustingly healthy and DH has learned to live
with less of me! ;

Oh, I think GB has its place in society - for those who will die
without it. What makes me sick and sad is that it has become a "quick
fix" for young people and teens.

snip

I wonder when people will realize that some people are just born to be big.
My mom tells me I look just like my grandmother who was also always a big
woman. All of my life, no matter how hard I dieted and exercised, my body
just didn't want to let go of the weight until the surgery forced it to.

Did you by any chance have insulin resistance or polycystic ovary
syndrome? I have the latter and have a heck of a time fighting my
weight, and have since puberty. Prior to that I was a string bean.

snip

I agree totally! I get *SO* ****ed off when my SIL calls my youngest
granddaughter "porker" - she is *NOT* overweight by even an ounce
(http://www.possibleplaces.com/Raven/), she's just not as thin as her
sisters are. But he *has* made her extremely conscious of her weight and
what she eats and she's only *7 years old*!!!

She's cute and she's definitely not fat! Such teasing is probably one
of the worst things you can do to a young girl. My sister did it to me
when I was a string bean and it gave me such a complex about my body.
I still remember it 35 years later!

-L.

Old January 31st 06, 05:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Victor Martinez wrote:
CatNipped wrote:
I wonder when people will realize that some people are just born to be big.

Indeed. Here's a typical day for me:

Breakfast: small glass grapefruit juice, light yogurt smoothie, black coffee

Lunch: sandwich with a small fruit salad, iced green tea, soy yogurt for
dessert

Snack: handful of roasted nuts

Workout: 1.5 hrs of yoga

Dinner: 1 soy yogurt, 2-3 clementines (those little tangerines), handful
of nuts

With that diet, you'd think I'd have a perfect weight, well I do not! My
stupid metabolism is just too darned slow.

I know you supposedly have me killfiled but you might want to talk to a
nutritionist. There is such a thing as eating too little to lose
weight - you simply train your body to exist on less and your
metabolism slows down. I thought this was ludicrous until I joined
weight watchers and was horrified at how much food they told me to eat.
It worked! So you might want to consult a professional or a weight
loss program.

-L.

Old January 31st 06, 06:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:
I wonder when people will realize that some people are just born to be

big.

Indeed. Here's a typical day for me:

Breakfast: small glass grapefruit juice, light yogurt smoothie, black

coffee

Lunch: sandwich with a small fruit salad, iced green tea, soy yogurt for
dessert

Snack: handful of roasted nuts

Workout: 1.5 hrs of yoga

Dinner: 1 soy yogurt, 2-3 clementines (those little tangerines), handful
of nuts

With that diet, you'd think I'd have a perfect weight, well I do not! My
stupid metabolism is just too darned slow.

--
Victor M. Martinez

With that diet, it's a wonder you're still functioning! It doesn't seem as
though you're ingesting enough calories to keep you going.

Joy

Old January 31st 06, 06:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

This discussion (about overweight people) reminds me of what I see as two
big faults in our society today.

The first is what I call the "one size fits all mentality". Too many people
think that everybody should like the same things, be the same size, look the
same, etc. They make no allowances for differences in metabolism, cultural
background or tastes, among other things.

The second is the idea that so many people have that they have the right to
tell other people how to live. This idea is usually set off when these
people encounter a newly widowed person, someone with a new baby, or someone
who is overweight.

I don't know why everybody can't worry about the beam in their own eye
instead of worrying about the mote in their neighbor's eye!

Joy

Old January 31st 06, 07:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Oh, I think GB has its place in society - for those who will die
without it. What makes me sick and sad is that it has become a "quick
fix" for young people and teens.

No one can have that surgery w/o complete workup medically and
hearing all about it from their docs, including the seldom-known, seldom-
discussed-in-public *other* lasting side effects/results; this is radical
major surgery and after their docs explain these things as well, I would
think many people of whatever age, sex, or body build would be totally
"turned off" and change their minds re having it.
Weight loss is an endless subject, but my docs keep telling me that
you can eat less, diet, eat this and/or that forever but weight loss will
not occur on a regular or significant basis unless exercise (preferably
aerobic) is involved regularly. From my experience it appears to be
the truth.

[OT] Most bizzarre thing you've seen Yowie Cat anecdotes 10 December 22nd 05 07:24 PM
[OT] A Generic Greeting [email protected] Cat anecdotes 0 December 21st 05 09:27 AM
[OT] Why we love children - humor CatNipped Cat anecdotes 9 November 28th 05 03:27 AM
the dress Miss Violette Cat community 29 October 3rd 04 08:29 AM
[OT] Yowlet Update 4/4/4 20:30 Yowie Cat anecdotes 16 April 5th 04 11:49 PM