[OT] Age Appropriate Dress?

Old February 1st 06, 03:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Age Appropriate Dress?

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
of calories. It really depends on the definition of "small",
"handful", etc.

Right.... some handfuls are quite plentiful....

By the way, you might find it very interesting to open an account
there (it's free) and track your food and exercise for a few
weeks. It also gives you vitamin breakdowns and all sorts of
other useful info.

I'll check it out, thanks for the pointer!!!

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old February 1st 06, 04:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

snipped
I agree totally! I get *SO* ****ed off when my SIL calls my youngest
granddaughter "porker" - she is *NOT* overweight by even an ounce
(http://www.possibleplaces.com/Raven/), she's just not as thin as her
sisters are. But he *has* made her extremely conscious of her weight and
what she eats and she's only *7 years old*!!!

There is something *terribly* wrong with all of this, and it is up to
us women to stop it here and now, before it affects future generations.

Again, I totally agree!

Hugs,

CatNipped

You've *got* to be kidding! Actually, you don't -- some folks are like
that. My vote is that Raven is "just right" for her age group. Your
SIL should leave her alone.

--
Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe
Old February 1st 06, 08:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

CatNipped wrote:

I started losing weight the first week - you could tell a marked difference
the first month - in six months I'd lost 80 pounds. Since then it was
*very* gradual (probably what a normal person would have lost on a normal
diet).

I didn't have plastic surgery - I did the GB surgery for health reasons, not
to enter any bikini contests. Besides, I'm too much of a chicken about pain
to endure that much pain just for vanity's sake. I'm lucky in that I never
was a pretty girl, so I've always put more stock in my mind and my feelings
than what I look like.

Also, I joke about it, but actually I didn't have that much loose skin
afterwards. I think the excessive exercise and yoga helped, but mostly it
was that my skin is *SO* oily that I still get zits at 54-years-old, so I
guess my skin still has lots of elasticity. I would say I have the "normal"
amount of sagginess for a woman my age, but no more. And I would get down
and kiss the feet of the person who invented support panty hose! ;

Yoga was probably a big help. I have heard that some people really
have no choice but to get the skin removed as it is such a problem -
that is sort of where my ex-BIL is at. My friend did so after birthing
her second daughter - they actually not only removed skin but
reconstructed her stomach muscles. No amount of exercise was going to
get rid of her belly the way it was left. I imagine the same is true
for some post-op GB patients, especially if they were excessively
large.

Agreed. I talked to my daughter about it and she undertsands, but my SIL is
a dolt!

Remember you can always plant the positive seeds. Unfortunately it
takes 3 positives to "un-do" a negative...
-L.

Old February 1st 06, 03:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

People - especially people who manufacture clothing - don't seem to
understand that arm and leg length is only approximately related to torso
length.

Back to the original topic of this thread, I read an article lately
about how stores are starting to realize that 40-something boomers are
a big and growing market, as the population ages, and these people's
incomes after years in the workforce tend to be higher than those of
the 18-35 year olds that stores have been aggressively courting in the
past.

As a result, several popular chains are developing stores designed to
cater to this market...with the idea being that the clothes must be 1.
More attractive and flattering than "granny clothes" ie jeans with high
elastic waists and 2. Must be "Age appropriate" to a 40-50 year old ie
no extreme-low-rise jeans threatening to show butt crack The idea is
to strike a balance between "Teeny" clothes and "old lady" clothes.

I have heard women in their 40s complaining abotu how they cannot get
clothes that are both stylish and not liable to make them look like
they are trying to be 16 again!

***

Raven's not a porker by any rate. It's especially hard to tell when
you are a kid because of growing....if you shoot up suddenly, a bit of
extra weight suddenly vanishes! Unless you are like a child I once
babysat for--who had to wear adult clothes by the time she was 10
because kids' clothes wouldn't fit around her middle, then have them
shortened extremely for her child-sized arms and legs--I say KNOCK OFF
bugging kids about what might be a few extra pounds!

--Fil
who can deal with her little ten pound muffin top
better than I can deal with society's big issue with it

Old February 1st 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-02-01, Victor Martinez penned:
John F. Eldredge wrote:
possible, in order to get by on what you are eating. The diet you
described does sound rather small, not to mention possibly not
balanced in nutrients. I don't know how vigorous your yoga
workouts

I do eat a balanced diet, I think. There's plenty of fruits and
vegetables, as well as lean protein sources.

Well, from my possibly faulty memory, the meal plan you described had
zero veggies, unless they were hiding in the sandwich ... also looked
pretty low on fiber. But again, this is where an app like fitday.com
can be really helpful. It will give you a dietary analysis of what
you're eating -- not just calories and fat, but protein, vitamins,
fiber, etc.

The point John makes is valid. The human body is an amazing thing.
If you eat little enough, it will make itself far more efficient by
slowing the metabolism, like a bear hibernating. You won't be hungry
because your body will be making fewer demands.

Your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) may be an interesting thing to check.
I had mine tested. It can give you a much more realistic idea of what
you should be eating for various goals than any simple weight/height
calculation.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old February 1st 06, 04:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-02-01, CatNipped penned:

They *really* need to watch the messages they send her. I suffered
anorexia in college, and have battled weight all my life, either
too much or too little. It wasn't until I hit my mid 30's that I
began to be comfortable with who I was in my body. Society plays a
number on young girls, too. It's just sick.

Agreed. I talked to my daughter about it and she undertsands, but
my SIL is a dolt!

Mental understanding and emotional acceptance are two different
things, sadly.

I have my first hypnotherapy session next week to address food and
body image issues. I'm hoping to get to the root of why I have so
many emotions tied to food.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old February 1st 06, 11:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"CatNipped" wrote

And no, I'm not being coy when I say I was never pretty - I really

wasn't - no big loss, it never bothered me because I never did care about
what other
people thought of me (the up side of being very self-absorbed! ;).

Ha! I know people like that!! But I don't believe you were that
self-absorbed. You just were smart enough to know from an early age that no
amount of physical pretty can make up for ugly insides. An ugly heart, ugly
mind, etc. I do know very physically attractive people who have nevertheless
never based their self worth on their looks. I admire this in the really
attractive, because in this culture the temptation to use those good looks
to open doors and to put off the hard work of actual accomplishment must be
great.

Old February 2nd 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
Well, from my possibly faulty memory, the meal plan you described had
zero veggies, unless they were hiding in the sandwich ... also looked
pretty low on fiber. But again, this is where an app like fitday.com

My bad, I should have mentioned the salad with my sandwich and the
carrots I often eat. Also, I do not eat white bread at all, only
multi-grain and whole wheat (real whole weat).

can be really helpful. It will give you a dietary analysis of what
you're eating -- not just calories and fat, but protein, vitamins,
fiber, etc.

I signed up today. It's interesting, though it has a lot of processed
foods, which I do not eat.
According to the site, today I consumed 2284 calories, with 66g fat, 214
carb and 89 protein.

Your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) may be an interesting thing to check.
I had mine tested. It can give you a much more realistic idea of what
you should be eating for various goals than any simple weight/height
calculation.

I assume you have to go to the doctor to ge that tested?

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old February 2nd 06, 04:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"CatNipped" wrote in message
I agree totally! I get *SO* ****ed off when my SIL calls my youngest
granddaughter "porker" - she is *NOT* overweight by even an ounce
(http://www.possibleplaces.com/Raven/), she's just not as thin as her
sisters are. But he *has* made her extremely conscious of her weight and
what she eats and she's only *7 years old*!!!

Catnipped, Raven is not overweight, she is a normal healthy 7 year old. In a
couple of pictures she looks like she is getting ready for a growth spurt.
Heaven help her when she gets ready to go through puberty. She will
probably be one of the curvy girls. Your SIL needs to examine her attitude
about what is fat and not. It sounds like she has the body image issues. I
hope Raven doesn't buy into those as she continues to grow.

Diane

Old February 2nd 06, 04:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-02-02, Victor Martinez penned:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
Well, from my possibly faulty memory, the meal plan you described
had zero veggies, unless they were hiding in the sandwich ... also
looked pretty low on fiber. But again, this is where an app like
fitday.com

My bad, I should have mentioned the salad with my sandwich and the
carrots I often eat. Also, I do not eat white bread at all, only
multi-grain and whole wheat (real whole weat).

Well, I know very well that it's easy to forget what you've eaten ...
when I faithfully keep a food log, it's truly shocking!

can be really helpful. It will give you a dietary analysis of what
you're eating -- not just calories and fat, but protein, vitamins,
fiber, etc.

I signed up today. It's interesting, though it has a lot of
processed foods, which I do not eat. According to the site, today
I consumed 2284 calories, with 66g fat, 214 carb and 89 protein.

You can enter your own foods, but it can be a pain. The annoyance of
having to enter the stats on all my homemade foods myself is exactly
why I didn't keep it up. Fortunately, it does remember custom
entries.

Your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) may be an interesting thing to
check. I had mine tested. It can give you a much more realistic
idea of what you should be eating for various goals than any simple
weight/height calculation.

I assume you have to go to the doctor to ge that tested?

Well, this was technically at my dr's office, but actually a
nutritionist did it. All you do is fast overnight, then lie down and
breathe calmly into a mask for some amount of time -- if I recall
correctly, about 15 minutes. Maybe less. The machine does all the
work. The machine time + a consultation with a nutritionist was about
$100, and I think that was at a discount, the proper price being
slightly higher. Of course it's not covered by insurance.

At the time, I clocked in with a very high BMR, but I'm sure that's
gone down as I've been pretty inactive for the last 6 months or so.
My heart rate has also gone up to 80 from 60 =/. Need to get back on
track!

Oh, that does remind me of one thing about fitday. At least last time
I tried it, the "maintenance" calories were way off -- like, a
reasonably active person would have to enter "sedentary" to get
anywhere close to a reasonable amount of calories. I don't know if
this is still a problem.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

[OT] Most bizzarre thing you've seen Yowie Cat anecdotes 10 December 22nd 05 07:24 PM
[OT] A Generic Greeting [email protected] Cat anecdotes 0 December 21st 05 09:27 AM
[OT] Why we love children - humor CatNipped Cat anecdotes 9 November 28th 05 03:27 AM
the dress Miss Violette Cat community 29 October 3rd 04 08:29 AM
[OT] Yowlet Update 4/4/4 20:30 Yowie Cat anecdotes 16 April 5th 04 11:49 PM