[OT] Age Appropriate Dress?

Old February 2nd 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default [OT] Age Appropriate Dress?

wrote in message
Jo Firey wrote:

Personally, I believe that a lot of "overweight" people live virtually
in
hiding because of the judgmental way there are treated by society. And
think its pretty sick that they have to.

Again, the definition of overweight as hardly an absolute.

As for mini skirts, anyone who wants to wear one should. As long as
they
are agile enough to keep the bare essentials covered.

At last, a sensible answer! Thank you, Jo. Since when are we obligated
to look good according to other people's standards? People seem to feel
*entitled* to have a lovely view wherever they look, and they actually
feel put out if somebody dresses in a way that they consider ugly, or
they see a bare body part that's (gasp) fat or wrinkled.

Don't like what you see? Please feel free to shift your gaze toward one
of the other 359 degrees in your panorama.

One of my favorite slogans along these lines: "I'm not here to decorate
your world." Hee hee...

Besides, I think we're all forgetting that beauty is not an absolute.
It's totally subjective. So even if you think a woman in low-slung pants
and a bitty top with a big belly is hideous, there are people out there
who think that looks hot. Really, there are. If you don't believe that -
or if you feel the need to label such a person as a nutcase or a weirdo -
try to expand your mind a bit and remember that the world is a big place,
with lots of people who have many different ideas of beauty.

Joyce - relatively modest in public, but I *do* wear shorts even though
I have fat thighs, because my comfort is more important to me than other
people's visual sensibilities. And anyway, I like my thighs.

I agree totally - I never put what other people think about me over what I
feel comfortable with.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old February 2nd 06, 08:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Age Appropriate Dress?

"Annie Wxill" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message

CN,
First you say
... It's so sad, and I'm so afraid for her. I keep hoping that my
daughter will do all she can to counteract his influence, but she is
terribly cowed by him - he's a bully.

Later you say
Well, I have to admit, on all other issues he is an excellent father -
very involved, patient, and thoughtful. But he has huge issues about
weight (even with his own weight - he run incessantly to keep his weight
down).
Hugs,
CatNipped

My heart goes out to your daughter and granddaughter.
I hope you can help them both in some way with the weight and self-esteem
issue. As the mother of a daughter who married into an emotionally
abusive situation, I know you are limited in what you can do.
Fortunately for my daughter, there are no children involved, and when she
finally realized what a jerk her husband is, she dropped him so fast it
made his head spin and is starting over on her own.
I'm not saying this is the same situation or answer for your daughter, but
to let you know that I understand that they don't always listen to what
you try to tell them and it's hard watching.
Hugs to you, your daughter and granddaughters.
Annie

Yeah, it's very hard to watch, but she's 33 years old and I can't ground her
to her room any more! The most I can do is always be here to listen to what
she has to say and let her know that she and the girls always have a place
to come and stay for as long as they need to (and actually, since I put her
house in *her* name alone, he doesn't even have any rights to it if she
wants to kick him out and stay where she is).

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old February 2nd 06, 08:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I agree totally - I never put what other people think about me over what I
feel comfortable with.

I have a saying that my dad told me that his dad told him and so on. It is
a well known saying to this day if you don't like it there is the door
don't let the doorknob hit you where the good lord split ya

Old February 2nd 06, 08:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"CatNipped" wrote in message

[...]

Why can't you ground her age or not YOU ARE MOM don't you remember your
mom just like everyone else saying I brought you into this world I can dang
sure take you out of it. Or my Favorite a "Roseanna Conner" saying I'm
your mother I will control you to the day you die

Old February 2nd 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

What a horrible thing to say and to a little child who looks perfect
just the way she is! Please tell her for me that there is absolutely
nothing wrong with the way she looks, but there is something horribly
wrong with the person who says that about her.
Please tell her we are thinking of her, sending lots of gentle hugs and
soothing purrs,
Polonca and Soncek

CatNipped wrote:
snip
I agree totally! I get *SO* ****ed off when my SIL calls my youngest
granddaughter "porker" - she is *NOT* overweight by even an ounce
(http://www.possibleplaces.com/Raven/), she's just not as thin as her
sisters are. But he *has* made her extremely conscious of her weight and
what she eats and she's only *7 years old*!!!

There is something *terribly* wrong with all of this, and it is up to
us women to stop it here and now, before it affects future generations.

Again, I totally agree!

Hugs,

CatNipped

-L.

Old February 2nd 06, 10:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Victor Martinez wrote:
According to the site, today I consumed 2284 calories, with 66g fat, 214
carb and 89 protein.

I actually went in today and customized a couple of items for accuracy.
Turns out I ate 2109 calories, 72 grams of fat (lots of good fats
though), 87g protein and 205g carbs.

Victor, replying to his own post.

Old February 2nd 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote in message

[...]

This is so true. When I see a young person with her hair in spikes, black
lipstick and assorted piercings, I can't help wondering if she really thinks
it looks good, and how many other people do, but I realize it's none of my
business. My daughter, who is a Director of Planning for the Los Angeles
County Department of Health, usually dresses very nicely. I know she pays a
lot more for her clothes than I do for mine. Every so often, she wears
something that I think looks dowdy, or even downright ugly. I keep my mouth
shut about it. If that's what she wants to wear, that's fine. She may well
feel the same way about some things I wear, but she doesn't say anything
either.

I do like to dress so that I think I look nice if I go out in public.
However, comfort comes first, with one or two exceptions, and I'm a lot less
fussy about what I wear to the market than about what I wear to a
Toastmasters meeting or to church.

Joy

Old February 2nd 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote in message
Yoj wrote:

Engineers and computer programmers can often get away with dressing in

manner that would earn another type of office worker a reprimand.

One of the things I've always enjoyed about being a programmer and
technical writer (another techie position without a dress code).

I don't mind having to dress up for certain occasions, and in many
cases, it's a matter of respect. For example, I wouldn't show up at
a funeral in ratty shorts and a t-shirt, unless I knew that the people
attending the funeral were going to be dresses similarly.

There's a big difference in my mind between dressing nicely or
conservatively because certain social situations demand it, and curtailing
your style or comfort simply because some people think you "should" or
"shouldn't" wear certain clothes, *ever*.

Joyce

Absolutely!

Joy

Old February 2nd 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Yoj" wrote in message
m...
wrote in message

[...]

At one of my stores I have a young lady who has been with me 4 years she
dresses gothic except when she has her uniform on I allow her to keep all
her piercings in with the understanding that she does not work near anything
that could snag or hurt her ( made her sign a liability waiver just in case)
she might look strange to others but she is a extremely good worker and has
been employee of the month 9 times and year 2x. I joked with her once about
what people say when they see her you can imagine what they say and than I
ask what do they say when they find out that you are going to nursing school
and plan to go from their to be a pediatrician ( most people mouths drop )

Never judge a book by its cover

[OT] Most bizzarre thing you've seen Yowie Cat anecdotes 10 December 22nd 05 07:24 PM
[OT] A Generic Greeting [email protected] Cat anecdotes 0 December 21st 05 09:27 AM
[OT] Why we love children - humor CatNipped Cat anecdotes 9 November 28th 05 03:27 AM
the dress Miss Violette Cat community 29 October 3rd 04 08:29 AM
[OT] Yowlet Update 4/4/4 20:30 Yowie Cat anecdotes 16 April 5th 04 11:49 PM