Cat on long drive

Old March 14th 06, 12:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Cat on long drive

I have a dear cat that I love very much, and when we travel anywhere,
she goes all day without peeing. If I drive, you know, eight hours,
she will wait until I put her kitty box in the motel room and then go
in the evening, late.

This might be okay for a day or so, but I would hesitate to go on a
LONG trip, say, eight days; I am afraid it would hurt her.

I mentioned this to a friend, and she said to ask a vet. But does
anyone have any way of handeling this? I put the cat box with the
litter in it, on the floor of the vehicle, but still, she won't use it
when I sit her on it.

She's a relatively young cat (seven years) and small to medium, in good
health.

Thanks in advance..

Old March 14th 06, 01:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On Mon 13 Mar 2006 08:14:03p, Brandy Alexandre wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

I hope you're not saying you drive with the cat roaming around
the car.

Oh, ****. I sure hope not. Sounds that way though. Time to recount
my story from last year. I witnessed someones pet jump out of their
car window in rush hour traffic on the Capital Beltway in the DC
area. At the time I thought it was a smallish dog, but the more the
incident played out in my mind when I tried to sleep, or passed the
same spot again, I think it was a cat. It's movement was more cat-
like the way it scaled the jersey wall. It was sadly killed, and
I'll never get the image of the pet's companion's grief when he
witnessed it, out of my mind.

Always keep pets confined within the vehicle, whether it be a dog
or cat. They make seatbelt additions for dogs, and carriers or
crates for cats are going to make everyone more comfortable during
a road trip.

--
Cheryl
Old March 14th 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I have a dear cat that I love very much, and when we travel anywhere,
she goes all day without peeing. If I drive, you know, eight hours,
she will wait until I put her kitty box in the motel room and then go
in the evening, late.
I mentioned this to a friend, and she said to ask a vet. But does
anyone have any way of handeling this? I put the cat box with the
litter in it, on the floor of the vehicle, but still, she won't use it
when I sit her on it.

How about getting a large dog crate and putting your cat in there along with
the litter box? I have a cat who urinates only once a day, maybe your's is
like that too.

Old March 14th 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

NO!! I love her and I'm very, very careful with her. She has a large kitty
carrier with a heavy, soft blanket, her toys, and I talk to her a lot and
set it so she can see me driving. I would never, EVER, let her out unless I
was safely parked and the doors locked. And then put her back in the
carrier.

But I do try to let her pee. She just won't. She's upset by the ride and
the move.

Old March 14th 06, 02:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On Mon 13 Mar 2006 09:26:42p, Boxwood Studios wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

NO!! I love her and I'm very, very careful with her. She has a
large kitty carrier with a heavy, soft blanket, her toys, and I
talk to her a lot and set it so she can see me driving. I would
never, EVER, let her out unless I was safely parked and the
doors locked. And then put her back in the carrier.

Ok, whew! I'm sorry. That brought all those horrible memories back.

But I do try to let her pee. She just won't. She's upset by
the ride and the move.

None of my cats like car rides, either. That's why I'm so glad I
found a vet I really like whose office is 5 minutes from my house.
But, I think rather than having a view (whether it be of you, or
the sites), a covered carrier is best. When cats are scared, they
like to hide. A covered carrier that doesn't allow for a view out
is like hiding. Drape a sheet over it.

--
Cheryl
Old March 14th 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Kelcey via CatKB.com" u18214@uwe wrote in message
I have a dear cat that I love very much, and when we travel anywhere,
she goes all day without peeing. If I drive, you know, eight hours,
she will wait until I put her kitty box in the motel room and then go
in the evening, late.
I mentioned this to a friend, and she said to ask a vet. But does
anyone have any way of handeling this? I put the cat box with the
litter in it, on the floor of the vehicle, but still, she won't use it
when I sit her on it.

How about getting a large dog crate and putting your cat in there along
with
the litter box? I have a cat who urinates only once a day, maybe your's
is
like that too.

Is it possible to stop for an hour at a service station, take her into a
restroom with her litter tray, and let her have a little relax and pee?
Unless she's likely to panic and bolt for the door, this could be one
solution for her.

Old March 14th 06, 02:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

But I do try to let her pee. She just won't. She's upset by the ride and
the move.

Perhaps if she had the litter box in the crate with her (the large dog crate
I suggested), then she could go when she wanted to instead of you having to
stop and place her into the box on the floor. Maybe it makes her more
anxious to be taken out and put into the box while you wait for her to go
(performance anxiety?).

Old March 14th 06, 03:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

But, I think rather than having a view (whether it be of you, or
the sites), a covered carrier is best. When cats are scared, they
like to hide. A covered carrier that doesn't allow for a view out
is like hiding. Drape a sheet over it.

That's a good idea. I remember them doing this (covering the carrier with a
towel) to the feral cats at the shelter when they had to take them in a car
to the vet.

NanCe

Old March 14th 06, 05:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"NanCe via CatKB.com" u18214@uwe wrote in message
But, I think rather than having a view (whether it be of you, or
the sites), a covered carrier is best. When cats are scared, they
like to hide. A covered carrier that doesn't allow for a view out
is like hiding. Drape a sheet over it.

That's a good idea. I remember them doing this (covering the carrier with

towel) to the feral cats at the shelter when they had to take them in a

car
to the vet.

I don't know, I drove my cat in a closed carrier from Texas to North
Carolina
and she howled and screamed the whole way. If it were me, I think I would
have to find a way to leave the cat home unless I was actually relocating.
It
was harrowing! She was a real howler, just the sound would leave you
shaken up.

Old March 14th 06, 07:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

:
: This might be okay for a day or so, but I would hesitate to go on a
: LONG trip, say, eight days; I am afraid it would hurt her.

I am no expert but my gut feeling is, if you love her, just leave her
with a good sitter, friend or professional. I know you want her to be
with you but she will be safer this way. There will be the stress of
change for her, but perhaps no more so than that of travel.