Mad kitty!

Old October 24th 04, 04:49 AM
Sherry

Christina Websell wrote:

I really do relish the experience of sharing/asking my USA friends on this
group about pronounciation. Where else would an American tell me honestly
and without taking offence. (see offense!) Nowhere.

Tweed, take a look at this website. You might enjoy it. I have the book,
and it's hilarious.

http://www.effingpot.com/

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Marina, thanks for posting that. It's priceless. Makes me wonder how we're all
even still speaking to each other!! Some of those words are *really*
different.

Sherry

Old October 24th 04, 06:13 AM
Yoj

wrote in message
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

What I find even weirder is the comparatively new "I could
care less", when what is so clearly meant is "I could NOT
care less"!

Here's another reversal I've noticed in the past decade or so. When
I was young, someone might say, "You were driving without your

seatbelt?
How smart is that?" Meaning, how smart can you be, to do something so
stupid?

Nowadays, someone would say, "You were driving without your seatbelt?
How stupid is that?" Seems like an odd thing to put as a question.
*Very* stupid, obviously!

Joyce - actually, we didn't have seatbelts when I was young...

I know what you mean. Or they'll talk about something great and say,
"How cool is that?" or something. I agree, it is a reversal, and takes
some getting used to.

Joy

Old October 24th 04, 06:21 AM
Yoj

"Cheryl Perkins" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:

Who was it who said, "Ending a sentence with a preposition is

something up
with which we must put!"?

Supposedly Churchill wrote "This is the sort of English up with which

will not put" when an editor revised what he had written to make it

fit
the 'no preposition at the end of the sentence' rule. And a lot of

people
think that rule doesn't apply to English anyway. At one time,

grammarians
(if that's the right word) thought that Latin rules should apply to
English, even though English is a Germanic language. The rule makes

sense
in Latin, or so I am told. I don't know Latin myself.

If Churchill can do it, I will also state that final prepositions are
things I can live with.

--
Cheryl

The rule about never splitting an infinitive also came from the Latin,
since in Latin a preposition is one word. Richard Lederer, a renowned
linguist and author, said that there are times when it makes more sense
to split an infinitive, and times when it makes the sentence awkward if
you don't end it with a preposition. I like Richard Lederer! ;-)

Joy

My 24 hour kitty O J Cat anecdotes 39 August 20th 04 10:23 AM
A Gift from Mai Kitty David Cat anecdotes 20 May 2nd 04 09:50 PM