Wow!

Old April 12th 12, 12:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Default Wow!

Judith Latham wrote:

Sweep (RB) loved turkey and one Easter morning while we were at Church,
she somehow got into the oven and pierced the foil covering the cooking
turkey. Nothing else, I think the steam coming out of that slit must have
put her off and made her decide to wait.

The steam put her off, but the heat inside the oven and on whatever she
had to stand on (eg, the rack, or the oven door) *didn't* put her off? What
kind of paws did she have?

--
Joyce

Who ever thought up the word "Mammogram"? Every time I hear it, I think
I'm supposed to put my breast in an envelope and send it to someone.
-- Jan King
Old April 12th 12, 01:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"CatNipped" wrote in message
wrote in message
Aren't you glad this isn't your cat?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmTxB5nXlzk

I had a dog like that. Trim the lurcher that I adopted from the RSPCA.
She'd been dumped by her previous owners and was living as wild as you
can
be in the city of Leicester. She got hit by a car and the RSPCA took her
in.

I soon found out why her previous owners might have dumped her (no excuse
for that)
She behaved brilliantly for a couple of days. It was Easter and I came
home, only gone for few hours, to find she had eaten all my chocolate
Easter
eggs and had managed to get up to a high shelf to do it.
Then came the fridge attack. She opened it and ate everything in there.
Yes, everything, lard, butter, bacon. eggs, milk, everything in there.
The
fridge was empty. I got a fridgelock type of thing that was supposed to
stop
young children opening it, she laughed at it.
Eventually (as the fridge was under the counter) and she continued her
raids, I drilled a hole through the worktop into the top of the fridge
door
and put a 6 inch nail down it; that stopped her antics.
She then turned to the oven. Waited until I was out, very briefly, with
joint of beef cooking in there. Pulled down the oven door and ate it.
She was, like lurchers always are, a dreadful thief of food.

The cat with the freezer is funny but can easily be overcome.

Did I return her to the RSPCA as "what the..have you landed me with,
this
dog is unhomeable?"
Give your opinions please on what you think I did and also what you would
have done, everyone.

Tweed

I think you kept her - no way did you return her. Maybe trained her or
just dog-proofed the house?

Of course I kept her. I put suitcase catches on all my cupboard doors, and
never left her alone with meat in the oven again.
Apart from her thieving habits she was a good dog - very protective of me.
I remember she took a dislike to a visiting lurcher owner who she hadn't met
before. He stood up from his chair and so did she stand up from her bed. I
didn't like the look of what was on her face so I took hold of her collar,
and he said "oh, don't hold her, she won't bite me, I know all about these
sort of dogs.." I said I thought she might but he insisted he knew better.
So I let her collar go, he took one step towards me and she bit him on the
thigh.
We lived happily together until I lost her to liver cancer at 14.
She looked like a smaller version of an Irish wolfhound.

Old April 12th 12, 01:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

Apart from her thieving habits she was a good dog - very protective of me.
I remember she took a dislike to a visiting lurcher owner who she hadn't met
before. He stood up from his chair and so did she stand up from her bed. I
didn't like the look of what was on her face so I took hold of her collar,
and he said "oh, don't hold her, she won't bite me, I know all about these
sort of dogs.." I said I thought she might but he insisted he knew better.
So I let her collar go, he took one step towards me and she bit him on the

Oops. That must have been embarrassing for him, in addition to being painful.

--
Joyce

audiophile, n:
Someone who listens to the equipment instead of the music.
Old April 12th 12, 06:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

Strangely enough, although he seemed fine ( perhaps a little eccentric) and
we lost touch eventually, I found him flagged up on my work computer years
later as a danger to women and "do not visit alone."
Trim obviously had his measure.
May have been a coincidence but she was usually fine and friendly with
visitors. He was the only person she ever bit.

Tweed

Old April 12th 12, 07:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article , Christina Websell
wrote:

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

I think she sensed something in him and being protective of you felt she
had to take action.

She definitely sensed a threat, but how she knew, I've no idea. He was fine
with me, but Trim simply would not allow him to get near me and she bit a
human for the first and last time in her life.
She was the most difficult dog I ever had. She would escape from the
garden (when she claimed she needed a wee) if I took my eyes off her for a
second and go out dustbin hunting. I forget how many times I went out
looking for her and had to vomit her when I found her with a huge stomach
with strings from turkey roasts inside her and more.

Despite that, she did calm down eventually, stop escaping to eat garbage,
finally understanding that she didn't need to do it.
She never stopped breaking into the fridge and ciu
Like Boyfie, I never knew where she came from.
Tweed

--
Judith Latham
Stourbridge, West Midlands. UK.

Old April 12th 12, 09:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:

"Joy" wrote in message
[...]

turned to the oven. Waited until I was out, very briefly, with a joint
of beef cooking in there. Pulled down the oven door and ate it. She
was, like lurchers always are, a dreadful thief of food.

The cat with the freezer is funny but can easily be overcome.

Did I return her to the RSPCA as "what the..have you landed me with,
this dog is unhomeable?" Give your opinions please on what you think I
did and also what you would have done, everyone.

Tweed

Of course you didn't take her back. Neither would have I.

Sweep (RB) loved turkey and one Easter morning while we were at Church,
she somehow got into the oven and pierced the foil covering the cooking
turkey. Nothing else, I think the steam coming out of that slit must have
put her off and made her decide to wait.

We have a small bolt by the handle on the airing cupboard door as Sootie
just wants to get in there and play with the holes the pipes go down round
the hot water tank. She found out how to open the door within weeks of
coming to live with us.

Judging by the stories here, I've been lucky.

I knew very well that she was facing the ultimate needle in a few days, and
don't let the RSPCA fool you with their TV programmes that they don't..
they do.
Anyway I got Trim and yes, she was difficult. But eventually she was more
than wonderful. You just have to hang on in there.
I could have sent her back. I didn't.
Tweed

Old April 12th 12, 10:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Joy" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Joy" wrote in message
[...]

a joint of beef cooking in there. Pulled down the oven door and ate it.
She was, like lurchers always are, a dreadful thief of food.

The cat with the freezer is funny but can easily be overcome.

Did I return her to the RSPCA as "what the..have you landed me with,
this dog is unhomeable?"
Give your opinions please on what you think I did and also what you would
have done, everyone.

Tweed

I'm sure you kept her, as I would have.

Yes, of course I did

Old April 12th 12, 10:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

"Christina Websell" wrote:
"Bastette" wrote in message

Strangely enough, although he seemed fine ( perhaps a little eccentric) and
we lost touch eventually, I found him flagged up on my work computer years
later as a danger to women and "do not visit alone."
Trim obviously had his measure.
May have been a coincidence but she was usually fine and friendly with
visitors. He was the only person she ever bit.

Tweed

It just shows, always trust an animal's instinct.
--
Adrian
Old April 12th 12, 11:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Adrian" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote:
"Bastette" wrote in message

Strangely enough, although he seemed fine ( perhaps a little eccentric)
and
we lost touch eventually, I found him flagged up on my work computer
years
later as a danger to women and "do not visit alone."
Trim obviously had his measure.
May have been a coincidence but she was usually fine and friendly with
visitors. He was the only person she ever bit.

Tweed

It just shows, always trust an animal's instinct.
--
Adrian

But how did she know? I thought he was OK and she didn't and she was right.
No way would she allow him to get near me. I never saw her rise up from
her bed with such an expression on her face, thats why I held her. She
knew.that although he seemed nice, he was a threat, and he got a few teeths
in his leg.I was ashamed of her and apologised, I now know she did the
right thing.
Try to hurt my hooman, meet Trim..

Old April 13th 12, 01:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

"Adrian" wrote in message

It just shows, always trust an animal's instinct.

But how did she know? I thought he was OK and she didn't and she was right.
No way would she allow him to get near me. I never saw her rise up from
her bed with such an expression on her face, thats why I held her. She
knew.that although he seemed nice, he was a threat, and he got a few teeths
in his leg.I was ashamed of her and apologised, I now know she did the
right thing.
Try to hurt my hooman, meet Trim..

Dogs - and cats, too - can pick up on little body language cues that
humans often miss. You know how some people will say, "I'm not sure what
it was about so-and-so that bothered me, but I just didn't like his/her
energy." I think animals *live* in that world and are very aware of the
kind of energy other beings are putting out. I'm not talking about
anything metaphysical, but I do think that people (and other animals,
too) just express their mental and emotional state through minute
movements, postures, facial expressions, ways of talking, etc - and
that's all I mean by "energy".

And who knows, maybe someone who has aggressive tendencies *smell*
different. Humans would totally miss that!

--
Joyce

What business is it of the state how consenting adults choose to pair
off, share expenses and eventually stop having sex with each other?
-- Bill Maher