Feral cats in Los Angeles go to work

Old January 5th 08, 01:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Feral cats in Los Angeles go to work

Great article!

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...y?coll=la-home

Joyce
--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.
Old January 5th 08, 02:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote in message
Great article!

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...y?coll=la-home

Joyce

What a great idea! Finally, a reason to be proud of my home 'town'!

Joy

Old January 5th 08, 03:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Joy wrote:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...y?coll=la-home

What a great idea! Finally, a reason to be proud of my home 'town'!

I know. Every time I hear about some organization or institution putting
down rat poison to take care of their rodent problem, I ask myself, "Have
these people heard of these animals called 'cats'?" They've done a great
job of controlling rodents for millenia, which is how we ended up keeping
them as pets.

Joyce

--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.
Old January 5th 08, 03:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Jan 4, 7:50 pm, wrote:
Great article!

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...9,0,2242260,fu...

It's a great idea and a good article. I think they exaggerate, more
than a little, the difficulty of making pets out of ferals. It is hard
but they seem to say it is impossible. I have furry friends who can
tell them it isn't, although none of the ones who live in this house
are not former ferals.

Will in New Haven

--

"Well, my work here is done. If you need me again, just admit to
yourself that you're screwed and die."

Joyce
--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.

Old January 5th 08, 04:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Will in New Haven" wrote in message
On Jan 4, 7:50 pm, wrote:
Great article!

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...9,0,2242260,fu...

It's a great idea and a good article. I think they exaggerate, more
than a little, the difficulty of making pets out of ferals. It is hard
but they seem to say it is impossible. I have furry friends who can
tell them it isn't, although none of the ones who live in this house
are not former ferals.

Will in New Haven

Since cats are all different, just like people, there are probably some
feral cats that can't be turned into pets. However, as you have obviously
proved, most of them can be tamed with love and persistence.

Joy

Old January 5th 08, 03:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

wrote in message
Joy wrote:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...y?coll=la-home

What a great idea! Finally, a reason to be proud of my home 'town'!

I know. Every time I hear about some organization or institution putting
down rat poison to take care of their rodent problem, I ask myself, "Have
these people heard of these animals called 'cats'?" They've done a great
job of controlling rodents for millenia, which is how we ended up keeping
them as pets.

Joyce

Indeed.

There are some historians that believe the 'black death' (Bubonic plague)
was helped along because of people's superstition about cats. They didn't
want the cats around as they were associated as being a witch's familiar.
No cats around = more rats around. Rats carried fleas... fleas carried
plague... and leas don't care who they bite. I'm sure the rats carried the
plague as well, and bit a few people on their own.
The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

Old January 5th 08, 04:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote in message
m...
wrote in message
Joy wrote:

[...]

There are also cultures that valued cats for their ratting skills. Many
Italian towns recognized that cats killed rats, and gave cats the freedom
of the town for protecting them from the plague. So if you go to Italy,
you see "gatti" everywhere. And there is really something about Italy that
goes well with cats-- the "bella figura," the love of beautiful things, the
sunniness, the food, the determination to work to live, not live to work.
Cats look great in Roman ruins. However, Italy still has a lot of
catching up to do on spaying and neutering.

Old January 5th 08, 05:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Jan 5, 7:18*am, "Kreisleriana" wrote:

There are also cultures that valued cats for their ratting skills. *

In England prior to the Middle Ages, a person could be fined for
killing a cat but only once a kittens eyes opened since before then
the kitten was not useful as a rat catcher. Thereafter there was a
scale of fines depending on whether the cat was a kitten, an adult or
a mouser

One king had a novel way of dealing with someone who killed another
person's cat. The dead cat would be suspended by the tail so only the
nose touched the ground and the killer would then shovel grain over
the body until it was completely covered. The amount of grain was the
compensation to the cats owner (they didn't think of themselves as
slaves thern) and was considered to represent the grain the owner
would lose to mice and rats because the cat wasn't around to kill
them.

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old January 5th 08, 09:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

wrote:
Great article!

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...y?coll=la-home

Joyce

Well, cats were first domesticated for their ability to
control the rodent population - apparently things haven't
changed all that much! (The Egyptians even went so far as
to deify them.)
Old January 5th 08, 09:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Jan 4, 7:50 pm, wrote:

Great article!

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...9,0,2242260,fu...

It's a great idea and a good article. I think they exaggerate, more
than a little, the difficulty of making pets out of ferals. It is hard
but they seem to say it is impossible. I have furry friends who can
tell them it isn't, although none of the ones who live in this house
are not former ferals.

Will in New Haven

Since cats are all different, just like people, there are probably some
feral cats that can't be turned into pets.

I've encountered a few "pets" who were "domestic" in name
only! (Willing to accept food and shelter, and play with
the toys provided, but any petting and snuggling was purely
on THEIR terms, and seemed to be regarded merely as
necessary "payment" for benefits received.)

Work Cats Yowie Cat anecdotes 7 March 1st 07 11:31 PM
Fixing the Feral Problem:What Does, Does Not Work Bret Ludwig Cat rescue 15 June 19th 06 04:29 AM
Cats at Work Yowie Cat anecdotes 8 May 26th 06 02:41 PM
Looking to adopt cats, Los Angeles / Orange County California area DuramaxGopher Cats - misc 3 February 26th 06 09:53 PM
I would like to adopt your cats (Los Angeles, Orange County, CA area) DuramaxGopher Cat rescue 3 February 20th 06 04:50 PM