My cat is sick & it's killing me!

Old March 3rd 07, 11:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default My cat is sick & it's killing me!

In article 6ea196062eae8@uwe, u32214@uwe says...
Hi.., my name is AJ & I am new here. I'm reaching out for support regarding
my precious cat. Her name is Sable. Sable is the oldest of my kids. She's 18
(almost 19) years old & she is very very sick.
During the past 3 days she hasn't been eating or drinking, she can hardly
walk & can't even make her way to her litter box. She also smell terrible.
The few times that she did try to eat & drink she ended up vomiting within
seconds after intake.

The Vet said that she was anorexic & constipated & that, based on the test
they did, they couldn't find anything wrong with her. We had already paid
$300.00 for a few tests & they recommended more test & a couple of nights in
the hospital but the cost would be well over a thousand dollars. Even then,
there would be no guarantee that her condition would improve.

We did the hospitalization thing in the past with two of our other babies
that were sick but all it did was prolong their suffering. All we cared about
was keeping them barely alive for a little bit longer just so we could delay
the inevitable. We brought them home & for two weeks I was sticking needles
in their necks to give them fluids, force feeding them a special non-protien
diet & having to lift them into their litter box or clean them off because
they couldn't control themselves. Finally the reality of my own selfishness
hit me. It was only after they were put to sleep that the Vet told us we made
the right decision.

Unfortunately it seems that the vast majority of vets are in it solely
for the money these days. I've learned when to put a cat down, it's when
their quality of life reduces to nearly zero. Your Sable is fairly up
there in cat years and she's had a good life. Maybe it's time to just do
the humane thing and end her suffering.

And yes, I've had the very same experience with vets. In one case, our
little Emily (A 6.5lb chocolate tortie) was getting sluggish and losing
her appetite and sneezing a lot. The vet had us administering oral
antibiotic gel which was hard to do, but then when we had to do the
prednisolone tablets it got worse. Finally I called the vet and told her
that it was time, but they couldn't get us in until the next day. By
this point I'd spent a lot of money on tests, etc.

The next day I was woken up by the SO asking me to check on Emily. Her
heart rate was around 50BPM which for a cat is extremely low. Granted,
she was 14 years old but two weeks before that she was a very vital cat.
Anyhow she died on the way to the vet. Normally I'm an easy going guy
but I nearly killed the vet that day. The damned vet knew, before she
came in the tech had left the folder on the table and so I was reading
it.

I tore the place up. Literally tore it up. We had Emily cremated at the
Providence Animal Rescue League. That's where we adopted Evangeline.

Old March 4th 07, 12:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

I am so sorry to hear about Sable. You have my sincere sympathies.

Sue

"gayajay via CatKB.com" u32214@uwe wrote in message
Well people.., Sable's suffering is over. We just returned from the SPCA.
Before arriving there we asked to meet with our primary Vet who just so
happened to be working in emergency this morning. Total Godsend. It was so
liberating not having to convince her of how well we knew Sable & our
ability
to interpret her symptoms & behavior.
Sable went peacefully & she was surrounded with LOVE. After the injection
stroked her head & sang to her. The Doctor, my partner, & I just stood all
around her, each of us touching her affectionately. Then the Doctor even
broke down as she said the words "she's gone".
Needless to say..., this has not been a good day however, if I had to do
it
all over again I wouldn't change a single thing. You people have no idea
how
much your support means to me. Only four of us were in the room with Sable
but I felt as though I had an army of warm heart felt soldiers of love
backing me up.
I was so emotional when I came to you. My partner was already feeling
emotional too & it was hard for him to see me so upset. For his sake I
held
back my feelings as much as I could but it got to the point where I was so
desperately in need of someone to talk to. I had tears dripping on my
computer keyboard during my previous posts. I can't tell you enough just
how
much it meant to me to receive your support.

I have a wonderful family.., two other kitty cats named Angel(female) &
Lucifer(male) & a puppy dog named Baby. They were all rescue animals in
need
of a loving home. They are my pride & joy. I am one of three daddies. My
partner & our housemate are the other two. Between the three of us our
kids
are spoiled but that's fine with us. Can't love them enough!
Each of you have now been adopted by my family. You now have a new nephew
&
two nieces. I've even started building a webpage with their photos & as
soon
as it's uploaded I'll post the link so y'all can see them. I'm even
including
a tribute to my babies who, like Sable, have passed on.
My babies all have given me the best gift ever..., they've taught me how
LOVE LIFE.

Again.., my "friends" (& I so sincerely mean that).., what a gift each &
everyone of you are. BLESS YOU, BLESS YOU, BLESS YOU! If there ever comes
time when I can be there for you.., please do not hesitate to let me know.
honestly feel that I couldn't have done this without your support.

THANK YOU!

Sincerely:
AJ

PS.: I feel complete with this discussion now. I got what I came for &
would
appreciate it if we could conclude & move on from this topic. This was a
sad
ordeal but it's over now & I'm ready to start sharing my joyful
experiences
with you.

--
d;-)

Old March 4th 07, 12:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Alan

"gayajay" u32214@uwe wrote in message news:6ea196062eae8@uwe...

The Vet refused to put her to sleep unless
he could run the additional tests but we can't see the point in having

more
expensive tests done only to find out that her condition is terminal.

Don't take the poor animal to Animal Control. Your critter is not an
unwanted stray.
Your current Vet is a self serving crook, preying on your emotions.
Call around to other Vet's in the area and explain the situation and your
wants.
Your critter, You are the paying customer. YOU call the shots.
Get a grip.
Alan

Old March 4th 07, 12:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Alan

Well people.., Sable's suffering is over.

Condolences AJ.
You did the right thing.
I still think your Vet is a jerk.
Alan

Old March 4th 07, 01:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Sat, 03 Mar 2007 20:14:47 GMT, "cybercat" wrote:

I read it. She needs another vet. And her vet is a manipulative ass
for refusing to put down a cat 19 years old who is this sick and should
be ashamed. And/or sued. Pricks.

agree. This cat is clearly at the end of life and deserves to go out of it
peacefully, ASAP.

--
Lynne
Old March 4th 07, 01:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Sat, 03 Mar 2007 20:50:16 GMT, "gayajay via CatKB.com" u32214@uwe
wrote:

Well people.., Sable's suffering is over.

I'm deeply sorry for your loss, but so glad that you were able to let her
go peacefully.

--
Lynne
Old March 4th 07, 01:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
22brix

You did the right thing. My condolences to you and your household.

Bonnie

PS I'd love to see pictures of your critters!

Old March 4th 07, 02:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Sat 03 Mar 2007 03:50:16p, gayajay via CatKB.com wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav news:6ea4fc0933015@uwe:

Well people.., Sable's suffering is over.

One of the hardest things to do. My condolences. I so agree with
everyone here from the sounds of her ailing, you did the right thing.
I'm glad you found a vet that would end her suffering.

--
Cheryl

Old March 4th 07, 03:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 4 Mar, 02:07, Cheryl wrote:
On Sat 03 Mar 2007 03:50:16p, gayajay via CatKB.com wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav news:6ea4fc0933015@uwe:

Well people.., Sable's suffering is over.

One of the hardest things to do. My condolences. I so agree with
everyone here from the sounds of her ailing, you did the right thing.
I'm glad you found a vet that would end her suffering.

--
Cheryl

You have our heart felt condolences,
& we are sending healing soothing purrs for you all to bathe in too...
S;o)

Old March 4th 07, 05:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Marissa

I am so sorry for your loss..Your story brought tears to my eyes.

You did the right thing for Sable, which showed your true love for your
baby.

Your a good person AJ. Maybe after you get over the grieving period, you
could give another shelter kitty the wonderful life you gave to Sable.

Condolences,
Maria
Sasha & Liz (17), Benson my shelter adopted Maine coon (4) and my Tiki Cat
(who showed up starving on my deck 3 years ago, who now gets enough love for
10 cats)