Pet euthanasia at home (license or permit required?)

Old May 27th 08, 03:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats
Ivor Jones[_2_]

Default Pet euthanasia at home (license or permit required?)

In ,
hamandcheese typed, for some strange, unexplained
reason:
: "Upscale" wrote:
:
:
: "hamandcheese" wrote in message
: I'm hoping to find a 3-4 yr old that gives me the "I'm the one"
: connection when I make the trip to the shelter some day soon.
:
: Why 3-4 years old? Don't feel like going through kitten adventures
: again? Either that or you're looking for a cat that is not as
: readily adoptable as a kitten and for that I'd commend you.
:
: Absolutely. The kittens have a better shot at adoption anyway and its
: the older cats who really need the second chance.

Exactly, but 3-4 is also very young and they are easily adoptable at that
age. It's the oldies (14+) who *really* need a chance.

Ivor

Old May 27th 08, 05:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats
cybercat

"hamandcheese" wrote

Oh I'll get a playmate soon enough because no animal should be
separated from his own species for the kid of companionship us humans
just can't give but I think I would like to evaluate any needs or
issues the first one may have before complicating things too much.

Yeah, that's smart. My comments come from watching these siblings
my sister adopted grow up together. They spent much of their
kittenhood entwined in seriously cute sleeping positions.

I have never adopted kittens, always grown cats, for the same
reasons many do. I love kittens, though, and wonder what it
would be like to get to know an animal from a baby. It seems
it would be even cooler if you could get siblings and raise them
from babies.

(Still, the most wonderful cat I have ever had I have now--Gracie, adopted
at age 1-2. She is a love bug, but at the same time, still runs from
us as a reflex. It actually makes life kind of fun. We are always
chasing her down and loving her up. I say things like, "when I finally
catch you I am going to kiss your little face right off your head. For her
it is a big game, and with my husband, she makes this huge show of
"submission" by jumping up on the bed and slinking down low, then
letting him pet her into a frenzy of purring and lipping her catnip toys.)

Old May 27th 08, 07:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats
Ivor Jones[_2_]

In om,
cybercat typed, for some strange, unexplained
reason:

[snip]

: I have never adopted kittens, always grown cats, for the same
: reasons many do. I love kittens, though, and wonder what it
: would be like to get to know an animal from a baby. It seems
: it would be even cooler if you could get siblings and raise them
: from babies.

At the Cats Protection Adoption Centre where I volunteer, we had a mother
and three newborn kittens handed in the other day. They'd been found in
the street and the kittens were less than a day old, the mum was scared
out of her wits, it was a miracle they survived at all, but survive they
did and mum & babies are now doing well :-)

They won't be with us long, it's kitten season and they go as fast as they
come in..! I do wish more people would look at the oldies, though. They
too have so much love to give.

Ivor

Old May 27th 08, 08:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats
hamandcheese

"Ivor Jones" wrote:

Exactly, but 3-4 is also very young and they are easily adoptable at that
age. It's the oldies (14+) who *really* need a chance.

For me, yes 3-4 is still young but statistically the 3-4 years olds
aren't that adoptable and you rarely see 14 yr olds in a shelter
around here (which makes you wonder why). Just watch the families that
visit to look at the cats and they just walk right past the mature
ones.

Most of the cats that my local HS puts up on their web page are 1 yr
and up to about 4 max so that seems to be the target range they are
pushing. Kittens don't usually seem to need the advertising space.
http://www.kwhumane.com/html/cat_adoptions.asp

-mhd
Old May 27th 08, 09:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats
Upscale

"cybercat" wrote in message
it is a big game, and with my husband, she makes this huge show of
"submission" by jumping up on the bed and slinking down low, then
letting him pet her into a frenzy of purring and lipping her catnip toys.)

That's what my little girl does. I can be gone five minutes or five hours,
but whenever I come in the door, she comes running up to greet me and does a
long stretch where her stomach almost touches the ground.

Old May 27th 08, 09:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats
cybercat

"Ivor Jones" wrote

At the Cats Protection Adoption Centre where I volunteer, we had a mother
and three newborn kittens handed in the other day. They'd been found in
the street and the kittens were less than a day old, the mum was scared
out of her wits, it was a miracle they survived at all, but survive they
did and mum & babies are now doing well :-)

They won't be with us long, it's kitten season and they go as fast as they
come in..! I do wish more people would look at the oldies, though. They
too have so much love to give.

Oh, I know they do. The reason I have not looked at senior cats
when I went to adopt is because when a cat I love dies, I just about
die too. I realize that youth is no guarantee that a cat will live a long
time,
but this is why I have always adopted young adults. Maybe I can change
my thinking to be less selfish. I am glad you brought this up.

Old May 28th 08, 08:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats
-L.

On May 27, 7:45 am, hamandcheese wrote:

Absolutely. The kittens have a better shot at adoption anyway and its
the older cats who really need the second chance.

-mhd

If and when we get another cat(s), I will adopt older cats. Far too
many are killed for lack of homes.
We have long-term plans for a place where we can do rescue. I am
working so that can come to fruition.

-L.
Old May 28th 08, 05:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats
cybercat

"-L." wrote :

We have long-term plans for a place where we can do rescue. I am
working so that can come to fruition.

This is really great. I often think about the allergy situation, and think
how sad this is, because you are such an animal person.

Old May 28th 08, 08:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats
Ivor Jones[_2_]

In ,
Upscale typed, for some strange, unexplained
reason:
: "cybercat" wrote in message
: it is a big game, and with my husband, she makes this huge show of
: "submission" by jumping up on the bed and slinking down low, then
: letting him pet her into a frenzy of purring and lipping her catnip
: toys.)
:
: That's what my little girl does. I can be gone five minutes or five
: hours, but whenever I come in the door, she comes running up to greet
: me and does a long stretch where her stomach almost touches the
: ground.

My Missy doesn't have to stretch for her belly to touch the ground ;-)

(Well not much, anyway..!)

Ivor