Cat Idiosyncrasies

Old August 6th 08, 02:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

Default Cat Idiosyncrasies

"Cheryl" wrote in message
. ..
"CatNipped" wrote in message

OK, your turn!!! ;

Nose Twitches,

CatNipped

I had to think about this.

Scarlett still waits until all water bowl sources are cleaned and refilled
then she has to swim in it and make it Scarlett flavored.

Shamrock has to make every room I'm in Bonnie-free

Rhett has to own the humidifier in the winter to the point where I think
it needs to be in a cage to be leak-free; other months he harasses
Shamrock, probably because Shamrock hates his GF Bonnie

Bonnie still has her squeaky mousy toy obsession though she's killed most
of them and they don't make noise any more.

I remember a video of one of yours going crazy over the red dot greebling.
Which master was that? I have three that will chase it - Demi and Ozzy get
the most frenetic the longest, and Sammy will run after it for a minute or
two - Archer and Demi will just watch it in a bored manner.

Ear Twitches,

CatNipped

Old August 6th 08, 02:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Joy" wrote in message
.. .
"CatNipped" wrote in message
I've been thinking about this and finally gotten around to starting a
thread about it. Each one of my cats has some idiosyncrasy. I'm sure
every cat does, so I'll start and then would like to read about other
master's little quirks.

Demi - you guys already know hers, she's a 'fraidy-cat, living on the
edge of the clowder, running for her life when anyone walks near her.
*But* if anyone in the house is eating chicken, she'll jump up right next
to them and stare until she's given her "chicken toll". Chicken trumps
fear every time.

Jessie - she has a little stuffed dog that she carries around meowing
loudly, every single day, sometimes several times a day. I think it's
the behavior of a mother cat bringing home prey. She also likes flake
fish food - it's like kitty potato chips to her, she can't get enough
(too bad it's so expensive).

Sammy - gawd, where do I begin??! First, most of you know, at 4.5 years
old she *still* sucks her toe. She follows me around like a puppy dog
(she won't jump on my lap, but she's *always* in the same room as me or
waiting on the other side of a closed door). She *hates* having her
claws clipped or brushing - my arms and hands are in shreds after any
grooming session.

Archer - he is our "nerd" cat. No matter what you're doing, he has to be
the center of attention. If you're playing with another cat, he'll push
them out of the way so he can get the toy. He never "gets" that the
other cats don't love him to pieces - he's blissfully unaware that they
may be wishing he would go away. His favorite toy is a denuded feather
stick (which has no feathers left, just a couple of bright tinsel
streamers). No matter where he is in the house, if you swish the stick
he'll hear it and come running. He will chase that thing until he is
totally out of breath (we have to be careful not to play with him too
long with it). When he first came here he was quarantined in a bedroom
with his bro-fur. In that bedroom was a stuffed green frog. He thinks
that green frog is his meow-my - to this day he snuggles up to froggie to
nap (I put froggie on his favorite chair in the living room so he could
be with the family and still snuggle with his meow-my).

Ozzy - has a foot fetish!!! Seriously!!!!! He very infrequently jumps
up next to me for good pettins. But if you say, "Ozzy want da footses?"
he'll break his neck running from the far end of the house to be "petted"
with a foot. Doesn't matter if you're wearing shoes. Anybody in the
house who crosses their legs will soon feel Ozzy petting *himself*
against their foot!

OK, your turn!!! ;

Nose Twitches,

CatNipped

Lindy wants lots and lots of attention. If she thinks I've been ignoring
her for too long, she'll yell at me. However, she hates to be picked up,
won't sit on my lap when I'm at the computer, and seldom sits on my lap in
my recliner. She will occasionally come up and lie next to me in the
recliner, but only for a few minutes. When anybody comes over, she thinks
they came to see her, and pesters them for attention. She seldom drinks
out of the water dish I change every day. Instead, she prefers to get her
water out of the toilet. If I walk in while she's getting a drink, or if
I'm there when she comes in for a drink, she gets very upset. If I take
off a bra and put it on my bed instead of in the hamper, she sniffs and
rolls on it as though it were catnip. Sometimes she'll lie on top of it
for long periods of time.

Joy

LOL! Do you use catnip sachet in your lingerie drawer?!!

Nose Kisses,

CatNipped

Old August 6th 08, 02:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"kilikini" wrote in message
. com...
CatNipped wrote:
[...]

Chloe - we call her "The Retard". She will stare up at a wall and just
cry, cry, cry - for no reason. There's nothing there! Then she'll walk
away from the wall, be a good 8 feet away from you, stare at you and cry,
cry, cry. Hey, if you want to be petted, get your butt over here, I'm not
going to get up to pet you across the room. She also has an amazing skill
to open cabinets, go inside, and not figure out how to get out.

Archer says she sounds like just the girl for him! ;

Tyrone - aka "Dr. Evil". If something is reachable, it *will* be
destroyed. We have to kitty-proof this house. Nothing is sacred. Books
get gnawed on, important papers get shredded as do the walls. Yes, the
walls! I've got boards with sisal NAILED to the walls and he still
prefers the drywall. Like CatNipped's Ozzy, he's also our "footy-tat". We
always joke, "I thawt I thaw a footy-tat". :~)

LOL! "Footy-tat"! I like that one - I'll have to tell Ben when I get home.

Pua - no nickname. She's the ultimate perfect cat except for the fact
that she's my constant shadow. I mean CONSTANT. I can't even use the
bathroom without her trying to get on my lap. I tend to be sick a lot and
it's kind of annoying to have a cat wanting attention when you're busy in
the loo, you know? Then, if I have to lay down in bed, thump, there she
is again. I'm sick, honey! Please! Sure enough, whisker in my nostril.

kili

Like my Sammy - well, it used to be just Sammy, but now Archer and Ozzy
follow me around too - so I have *three* little "suppositories"! ;

Chin Skritches,

CatNipped

Old August 6th 08, 02:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
CatNipped wrote:
I've been thinking about this and finally gotten around to starting a
thread about it. Each one of my cats has some idiosyncrasy. I'm
sure every cat does, so I'll start and then would like to read about
other master's little quirks.

(snip seriously cute idiosyncracies)

CatNipped

Persia does the tap me on the nose with her paw thing. If she can't reach
it my chin will do It's so cute! Used to be she'd do it to wake me
up. Now there doesn't seem to be any pattern to it, she just likes to
reach out and touch me from time to time.

In terms of wake-up-mommy rituals, she's become very dedicated to gently
nipping me on my chin once I open my eyes. It's her version of a good
morning kiss, I suppose. And if I don't stir fast enough two or three of
them is guaranteed to get me moving!

Back in TN she was fed in the small foyer off my very small kitchen. The
phrase, "It's not time yet!" would stop her in her tracks if I was heading
in that direction (she gets feed early AM and early PM). Sometimes she'd
peer around the corner at me through the entry to the kitchen while I was
cooking but she rarely followed me *into* the kitchen. Not so here. She
eats in the bedroom and her food is stored in a closet in the master bath.
Still, when I go into the kitchen she comes in and talks to me. She
doesn't get fed people food, ever, and in fact the kitchen here doesn't
always involve food. I pay the bills sitting at the kitchen table. Guess
she's just keeping me company She meatloafs on one of the small rugs,
either in front of the sink or by the garage door.

The sight of the milk carton coming out of the fridge will induce the most
pitiful crying you've ever heard. She only gets a tiny dribble about once
a week (she's not lactose intolerant but why take chances?). If she had
her way she'd be lapping it up every day! And you don't dare open a bag
of chips/crisps. She could be sound asleep in a closet at the other end
of the house but she knows that crinkly sound anywhere.

Jill

Awwww! Poor skinny little Persia - what a mean meow-my to starve her like
that. What is she, a tee-nincy little 20 pounds - skin and bones, just skin
and bones!!! ;

Fluffy Tails,

CatNipped

Old August 6th 08, 02:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Charleen Welton" wrote in message
g.com...
Loving this thread! Victor Velcro has to fall asleep with his forehead
against my left hip; has done this since he was a kitten (11 years ago!).
After a while he will wander off someplace else but he and I share that
time together every night.

That reminds me of my Bandit(RB). Any time any part of her body was
touching any part of my body she was purring!

Aggie Marble is the resident Whack-A-Mole. David and I will be reading or
talking, propped up in bed and Aggie's noggin starts bobbing up and down,
up and down, up and down at the side of the bed. It is so funny.
If we stop paying attention she either starts tapping one of us firmly
with a paw or jumps up on the bed. Silly cat.

ROTFLMAO! You need to take video of that and send it in to AFV!

The kittens both fall asleep upside down. I've not seen this before and it
is absolutely darling. After a while they tumble to their side. they each
have the whitest, cutest bellies and their legs are all askew with one
tail going one way and another tail going the other. I'll be sorry when
they out grow that.
Charleen

Awwwww! They may not grow out of that. Sammy still sleeps that way!

Nose Kisses,

CatNipped

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..

Old August 6th 08, 02:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Kathy" wrote in message
. ..
OMG- y'all have the funniest stories! Woodgie has a few quirks, mostly
with me as the instigator. She'll come up to me when she thinks she needs
something, or just wants to get some attention. She'll pat my elbow and
say, "Gramma". She also sits on the edge of the desk where my computer is
and lay there, snoozing. But if I scritch her or say something that
rouses her\, she sits up and puts her paw out. I put my hand out and
she'll put her paw in it. Then she looks at me like "so where's my treat?"
which , of course she gets. I taught her the paw business and sometimes
she will do it without a treat. Usually she checks out my paw before
she'll give me hers though, hoping the treat is already there, like it was
when I started training her...
Kathy and Woodgie ^..^

Wow, Woodgie sure has you trained well - good job, Woodgie!

Chin Skritches,

CatNipped

Old August 6th 08, 02:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Takayuki" wrote in message
"CatNipped" wrote:
Demi - you guys already know hers, she's a 'fraidy-cat, living on the edge
of the clowder, running for her life when anyone walks near her. *But* if
anyone in the house is eating chicken, she'll jump up right next to them
and
stare until she's given her "chicken toll". Chicken trumps fear every
time.

I think you should eat chicken every day, since she likes it so much!

Demi agrees with you. I'm actually thinking about cooking chicken just for
her to eat every day in addition to her cat food since we're trying to get
her weight up.

I don't know if this counts, but I think Buster moves his head
excessively when he's investigating something. Whether he's looking
at me, or some ordinary household object, he stretches to look at his
subject from above, crouches to look at it from below, and tilts his
head back and forth to get a look from all angles and perspectives.

This habit makes him look very quizzical. And if he's looking at your
face this way, it's also pretty comical.

How cute! Can you get a video of him doing that?

Chin Skritches,

CatNipped

Old August 6th 08, 04:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

On Aug 4, 9:57*pm, wrote:
Takayuki wrote:

* I don't know if this counts, but I think Buster moves his head
* excessively when he's investigating something. *Whether he's looking
* at me, or some ordinary household object, he stretches to look at his
* subject from above, crouches to look at it from below, and tilts his
* head back and forth to get a look from all angles and perspectives.

I've seen cats do this - cracks me up. Kind of sounds like predatory
behavior, to me - like he's trying to get something "in his sights".

--
Joyce * ^..^

My Jebediah looks like someone wearing bifocal lenses. When he is
looking at you, he tilts his head up and down, like DH does when he's
wearing his glasses. Tilt back to 'focus' on the small stuff. Tilt
forward for the 'full view'. Tilt back to see the fine detail. It's
hilarious, but of course, never done when I have the video ready.

He wants the tap in the bathtub turned on low (for a thin slow
stream). He prefers his water fresh and running, and will stand next
to the tub, look at you, then reach his right paw up (while opening
the toes up, to show his big ole foot), like he's raising his hand to
ask permission to get some water (and telling meowmie and paw that he
can't turn the water on himself, thenkyewveddymuch)..
Old August 6th 08, 06:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Shiral

On Aug 6, 6:24*am, "CatNipped" wrote:
"Shiral" wrote in message

On Aug 4, 7:17 pm, "Cheryl" wrote:

"CatNipped" wrote in message

OK, your turn!!! ;

Nose Twitches,

CatNipped

I had to think about this.

Scarlett still waits until all water bowl sources are cleaned and refilled
then she has to swim in it and make it Scarlett flavored.

Shamrock has to make every room I'm in Bonnie-free

Rhett has to own the humidifier in the winter to the point where I think
it
needs to be in a cage to be leak-free; other months he harasses Shamrock,
probably because Shamrock hates his GF Bonnie

Bonnie still has her squeaky mousy toy obsession though she's killed most
of
them and they don't make noise any more.

This is a great thread!

Francesca is very affectionate as long as it's HER idea. She's very
agile at getting away if I try to pick her up unless I pounce quickly
enough. *She'll tolerate being held, but gives me this look of "If you
don't put me down in about three seconds, things will get ugly" look.
And usually it's when I'm watching TV in the comfy chair. She jumps
into my lap to say hello, and when I obligingly give her strokes and
ear scritches, she drools to indicate what a good time she's having.
She's also the computer supervisor. And yes, she likes to sit on the
mouse, severely hampering my ability to move it around freely. She's
sort of *mellow about having her claws clipped, by which I mean she
doesn't scream her head off, although she does try to pull her paw out
of my hold. *But she HATES the zoom groom. I swear she bends her body
like a little furry pretzel to avoid letting *it touching her. *She
gets fits of housekeeping lust in which her inner Martha Stewart
informs her that towels hanging tidily from towel rods is SO last
century. The proper place for towels is obviously on the counter or
preferably the floor. Many cats bury their waste, but Francesca is
incredibly serius about this. I sometimes think she'd like to dig her
way down to Artesian water level to get her droppings properly
covered. *On chilly nights she *likes to make me hold up the covers
while she considers if she'd like to get under them to keep warm.
She's the bolder of the two cats, and once she's over her initial
shyness, she'll come out and say hello whenever I have company.

Nina is a love sponge, she just soaks it *up. She too, will come visit
me in the comfy chair while I'm watching TV, but if I give her
scritches and cuddles, she won't let me watch the program. If I stop
paying enough attention to her, she'll stick her little face in mine
and use her claws while kneading to tell me she wants MORE attention.
Oddly, when I do stop, she'll settle enough to curl up in my lap and
go to sleep. *Every night, she chases her poor mother all over the
apartment after lights out for about 15 minutes, then she comes and
lies down on the bed between my knees where she spends the night.
Oddly, she's the shy one. Visitors at my door or the vacuum cleaner
send her running to safety under the comforter on my bed where she
makes a Nina-sized hill, convinced that if she can't see you, you
can't see her. She's the local * laundry fetishist, as she loves to
roll ecstactically on my clean laundry when I bring it back all warm
from the dryer. I suppose it must be thoroughly checked to make sure
there are no laundry greeblings embedded in it. *Her favorite laundry
toys are my briefs and socks. *Next to clean warm clothes, her
favorite things are drinking straws. She's got a kind of Dominatrix
attitude about them. I have a collection of the best-disciplined,
chewed up straws you'll ever find. She *trots around with them in her
mouth, plops down on the rug and gnaws and bunny kicks Mr. Straw into
submission for a few seconds, then gets up, and carries the straw into
the next room to repeat the whole procedure. *Paper towels standing
still on the kitchen counter are okay. BUt let me put them onto the
designated paper towel holder and I'm asking for trouble. *All the
paper towel greeblings come out and start mocking NIna, necessitating
the rapid unrolling of the whole roll so she can get at them and teach
them a lesson.

Both girls are crazy for fishing pole toys. They are both also adept
at messing up whatever pictures I'm trying to take of them while
playing with them.

Melissa

I remember when you found Francesca (under / next to a shed?) and then
finding out she was pregnant. *It seems like yesterday, but I know it has to
have been a while now. *How old is Nina?

Nose Kisses,

CatNipped- Hide quoted text -

Ummm, no. I adopted her from the Santa Clara Humane Society. She had
a cold that made it unsafe for her to be anesthetized for spaying. The
HS agreed she'd get well better isolated from other cats, so I agreed
to bringg her back when she was well. It took her three weeks to get
well, which saved Nina's little life. Francesca is now about four and
a half and Nina is now just past her fourth birthday.

Melissa
Old August 6th 08, 07:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

Okay

Redunzel- has a thing about shoes-she's a cat who only occasionally
likes to be stroked and petted but every evening when I get in from
work, she is there and apparently gets high on sniffing shoes (Or bare
feet if shoes are not available). Her other odd habit is when faced
with DaNip, she doesn't bite it or anything she just stands there
inhaling deeply until finally she falls over then lies there with her
legs in the air

Sarrasine- again shoes she keeps dropping toys into people's shoes, a
friend came round a couple of weeks ago and as it was hot took his
shoes off, when he went to put them back on, her froggie was inside
one of them! She also causes a lot of inadvertent grief at home when I
am off or it's the weekend- she has this little ritual where I have
gone back to bed with a coffee fully intending to drink the coffee and
get up but then she wants to be stroked to the extent that pretending
to be asleep gets me bapped so I surrender and then she settles down
next to me to have her tummy tickled then after a few seconds she
traps my hand and stretches out on it..of course moving her ladyship
is out of the question after all I am no hurry to get up am I? Yeah
okay give her 5 minutes then drink rhe coffee and get up..

Next thing I have Dave asking me if I plan to get up today and a cold
cup of coffee!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs