What's wrong with my cat - PLEASE HELP

Old March 4th 10, 03:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Earnest

Default What's wrong with my cat - PLEASE HELP

"Kelly Greene" wrote in message

"YvonneD" wrote in message

I always feed him dry Science Diet Light. Only changed to the canned
food since he got sick. I figured the watered down soft food would be
easier to digest. I know he'd eat his regular food if I gave it to
him. I'm just afraid to try since he hasn't thrown up for a while and
don't want to change what seems to be working right now.
~~~~~~~~~~~

Stick with the canned. It's much better for cats anyway. Science diet
contains grains which are not good for cats.

Are you sure cats don't need vegetable material?
My cat sure looks for them.

Old March 4th 10, 03:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Petzl

On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 21:08:34 -0600, "Mark Earnest"
wrote:

Stick with the canned. It's much better for cats anyway. Science diet
contains grains which are not good for cats.

Are you sure cats don't need vegetable material?
My cat sure looks for them.

They need cat grass (oat seed will do)
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_cat_grass
Petzl
--
"Dieu est mon droit" God is my legal right
Old March 4th 10, 03:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Earnest

wrote:

Stick with the canned. It's much better for cats anyway. Science diet
contains grains which are not good for cats.

Are you sure cats don't need vegetable material?
My cat sure looks for them.

They need cat grass (oat seed will do)
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_cat_grass
Petzl
--
"Dieu est mon droit" God is my legal right

Thanks and thanks for the link.
But as to how to get cat grass, all I have ever
heard of was Chia Pet cat grass.

Old March 4th 10, 04:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Petzl

On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 21:44:18 -0600, "Mark Earnest"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Stick with the canned. It's much better for cats anyway. Science diet
contains grains which are not good for cats.

Are you sure cats don't need vegetable material?
My cat sure looks for them.

They need cat grass (oat seed will do)
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_cat_grass
Petzl

Thanks and thanks for the link.
But as to how to get cat grass, all I have ever
heard of was Chia Pet cat grass.

Just Google "Cat Grass" which is oats, rye, barley,wheat etc, very
simple to grow. Seed for this is sold in what we call "produce shops"
(they sell hay, grass seed, stuff for horses. Farmers or people with
small acreage's go there).
A small flat plastic container like Chinese takeaway comes in,
sunlight, potting mix or even cotton wool, water (keep wet) once grass
is 2 inches or more tall put by cat food grows in a few days
Petzl
--
"Dieu est mon droit" God is my legal right
Old March 4th 10, 05:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Earnest

"Petzl" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 21:44:18 -0600, "Mark Earnest"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

I'm not out in the country with the horses and farmers, but I will do an
Internet search. I will look closer at your link, too.

Thanks,

Mark

Old March 4th 10, 05:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Petzl

On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 23:16:07 -0600, "Mark Earnest"
wrote:

Just Google "Cat Grass" which is oats, rye, barley,wheat etc, very
simple to grow. Seed for this is sold in what we call "produce shops"
(they sell hay, grass seed, stuff for horses. Farmers or people with
small acreage's go there).
A small flat plastic container like Chinese takeaway comes in,
sunlight, potting mix or even cotton wool, water (keep wet) once grass
is 2 inches or more tall put by cat food grows in a few days
Petzl

I'm not out in the country with the horses and farmers, but I will do an
Internet search. I will look closer at your link, too.

Thanks,

Any garden shop should sell wheat seed (which can be used for
wheatgrass for your self as well as the cat)
Mark

Petzl
--
I am.You are.We are Australian
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ6OF...eature=related
Old March 4th 10, 06:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"YvonneD" wrote in message
I have a 10 year old male. Three days ago he vomited. He had eaten
about 3 hours earlier but what he threw up was food. I give him dry
food, but it had been digested so there were no pieces. He does
occasionally throw up right after eating, but then it still looks like
dry food.

After he threw up he seemed to feel sick. About 5 hours later he
threw up again. Same thing - food. After that he felt great. He was
starving, playful, normal. I fed him. He was fine all night and the
next morning. He finished his breakfast and was fine. Later that day
he threw up again. Afterwards he looked awful. The next morning he
was hungry so I gave him a little canned food with chicken broth. He
ate it but still looked awful.

I took him to the vet. No fever and no tenderness. They looked under
his tongue to see if he may have swallowed a string. They did lots of
blood tests and urine analysis. Everything looked fine. He didn't
throw up that day but still looked bad. Yesterday I took him back for
x-rays. The results were "inconclusive". They said he had gas in his
abdomen and something in his small intestines. They couldn't tell if
it was fecal matter or a blockage. He hadn't had a bm in a few days.
They told me if it continued today to come for a follow-up x-ray.

He ate last night (canned food with chicken broth) and seemed to feel
very comfortable but tired. He pooped during the night and this
morning he was in my face for breakfast. Today he continues to eat
and then looks uncomfortable. He does some lip licking, almost like
he's sick to his stomach. He hasn't thrown up in two days. The only
thing the vet is having me do is to give him Pepcid 2.5mg twice a day.

What could be wrong with him? He does everything normal like eat,
poop, groom, pee, but he just mopes around and clearly does not feel
well.

I feel so helpless. If he isn't better by tomorrow afternoon I'll
take him back to the vet, but to be honest I've already spent over
$500 and they still don't have a clue. I don't know what else they
can do.

Try changing his food. Try a food that doesn't contain any dyes or chemical
preservatives and contains a protein source that he has not eaten before.
Its not unusual for a cat to develop an aversion to an ingredient or
additive in a food he's been eating for awhile. If that doesn't resolve the
problem, my advice is to get a second opinion.

Best of luck,

Phil

Old March 4th 10, 07:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Earnest

wrote:

Just Google "Cat Grass" which is oats, rye, barley,wheat etc, very
simple to grow. Seed for this is sold in what we call "produce shops"
(they sell hay, grass seed, stuff for horses. Farmers or people with
small acreage's go there).
A small flat plastic container like Chinese takeaway comes in,
sunlight, potting mix or even cotton wool, water (keep wet) once grass
is 2 inches or more tall put by cat food grows in a few days
Petzl

I'm not out in the country with the horses and farmers, but I will do an
Internet search. I will look closer at your link, too.

Thanks,

Any garden shop should sell wheat seed (which can be used for
wheatgrass for your self as well as the cat)
Mark

I know where some of those are.
Thanks.
And now my cat will be healthier.

Mark

Old March 4th 10, 09:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

"Mark Earnest" wrote in message
netamerica...

wrote:

Stick with the canned. It's much better for cats anyway. Science diet
contains grains which are not good for cats.

Are you sure cats don't need vegetable material?
My cat sure looks for them.

They need cat grass (oat seed will do)
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_cat_grass
Petzl
--
"Dieu est mon droit" God is my legal right

Thanks and thanks for the link.
But as to how to get cat grass, all I have ever
heard of was Chia Pet cat grass.

My wife used to have a female cat that loved an artichoke plant they had in
their front yard....The cat never let it get more than 6 or 8 inches high
before she would nibble it back down to ground level.......

Old March 4th 10, 11:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

Try Temptations for Hairballs. He probably has a hairball that he is
trying to get up.